Trying to lower cholesterol naturally

Options
Hi All,

I am trying to lower my bad cholesterol and increase my good one by weight loss and exercise (I follow the paleo diet). My lipid panel results are not good but that might be due to my PCOS and IR as well. I'd appreciate any advice. As I know, eating fish is the best way to fix cholesterol levels but we never had fish at home and I could never get used to its taste as an adult. I make it at home for family members but if I eat from it, I always get sick. I was wondering if it's OK to take Omega-3 and multivitamin supplements among others instead of eating fish if I follow the paleo diet or will I miss something by not consuming any fish ever? What else could I do for my health?

I wish good luck to all of you with your fitness goals!

Replies

• kjimmie4848
    kjimmie4848 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I just found out yesterday I have high ldl levels. I use a tablespoon of flaxseed in oatmeal about 5 days a week, but I am going to up to 2 tablespoons everyday and see if it helps. Flax seed is supposed to be a wonder food for heart and cholesterol. I hope it works, Good luck.
  • Beavergong
    Beavergong Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Do you use the actual flaxseeds or flaxseed oil?
  • kjimmie4848
    Options
    I bought a bag of flax seed and grind it in a coffee grinder.
  • PCOS_No_More
    Options
    I have used flaxseed before. I used it for chronic constipation and it did work wonders. I haven't even thought about its effects on cholesterol but I'm sure it's healthy. I wish it tasted better though.
  • kjimmie4848
    Options
    I just found this article...http://www.naturalnews.com/034025_flaxseeds_cholesterol.html#..."women who added as little as 50 grams of ground flaxseed to their daily diets for four weeks were shown to have lowered LDL (bad) cholesterol levels by 18%, without touching the HDL (good) cholesterol levels."

I think I will up it to 3 tablespoons.
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    Hi All,

I am trying to lower my bad cholesterol and increase my good one by weight loss and exercise (I follow the paleo diet). My lipid panel results are not good but that might be due to my PCOS and IR as well. I'd appreciate any advice. As I know, eating fish is the best way to fix cholesterol levels but we never had fish at home and I could never get used to its taste as an adult. I make it at home for family members but if I eat from it, I always get sick. I was wondering if it's OK to take Omega-3 and multivitamin supplements among others instead of eating fish if I follow the paleo diet or will I miss something by not consuming any fish ever? What else could I do for my health?

I wish good luck to all of you with your fitness goals!

It's due to PCOS, IR, and your diet combined. How high was your cholesterol? For PCOS and IR, you only have to lower the amount of carbs you eat, you don't have to substitute carbs for fat. You could essentially be just trading one bad condition for another. Are you eating a high fat diet rich in whole eggs, red meat, and bacon? That would most likely be your primary problem.

I'm IR and traded carbs for fat, ending up with 261LDL and 338 total cholesterol due to eating so much red meat, bacon, and whole eggs. Chicken salads with no dressing for most meals is what I do now. If you want to be extreme, chicken salads for one full day and eat carbs the next day to get closer to your maintence. Basically alternate.
  • PCOS_No_More
    Options
    I don't know how much paleo has affected my cholesterol because I haven't had a blood test since I started. I'm about to get my lipids tested soon. I do not eat bacon, I do like eggs but don't eat too many, I try to limit my meat intake too. I have recently discovered the benefits of coconut oil. I eat one tablespoon of it a day because of the inflammation I have going on in my body. I understand what you mean by trading one bad for another in our case with IR. I just think we need to find something we can maintain long term and going down in calories too much will just cause a yo yo effect, I'm afraid. I guess I'll just keep up this diet and wait and see what my next cholesterol testing will show but my previous levels were really bad a few months ago and my primary care wanted to get me started on statins.
  • vvvalentines
    Options
    Increase your fiber, especially from whole-grain sources. Oatmeal is good for cholesterol, especially if you pair it with vitamin C (found in many fruits and vegetables, well-known in citrus.)

Fish + garlic is a great combo for regulating cholesterol levels, though I understand if you don't like fish. You could try making your own healthy Caesar dressing with anchovies, lemon, garlic, mustard, and olive oil--there's very little "fishy" taste, the anchovies just add some depth/savory flavor to the dressing.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Check out the work of the following doctors, who have treated heart disease, hypertension and high cholesterol with diet. Their work is online, and will help you get your diet dialed in better than any one of us amateurs on this site:

Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn
    Dr. John McDougall
    Dr. Jeff Novick
    Dr. Dean Ornish
    Dr. Alan Goldhamer
    Dr. Michael Klapper
    Dr. Joel Fuhrman
    Dr. Matt Lederman
  • WrenPat60
    WrenPat60 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I just started using ground flaxseed in cooking. Add it to any other flour, sprinkle on cereal, etc. I also use flaxseed oil in salad dressing.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal lowers cholesterol. I eat steel cut oats (with a sliced apple instead of sugar) because it tastes a lot better than oatmeal. Olive oil will lower bad cholesterol while it leaves the good alone. Here's a short article from the Mayo Clinic about food that helps:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/cholesterol/CL00002
  • Cholesterol and LDL levels are only secondary indicators of heart disease risk. A carotid artery ultrasound read by an experienced physician is one of the best ways of determining the real health of your arteries. I have good LDL numbers and good triglyceride levels, but still had some plaque accumulating. And I avoid high glycemic foods, which can also lead to plaque. My doctor suggested I use a concentrated oat bran from a website called Heart Healthy Solution to lower my LDLs ever more and carotid testing a year later showed that it fixed my plaque problem. Fish oil helps mostly with triglyceride levels and does little for LDLs. And sensible consumption of dietary cholesterol and saturated fat does not affect long-term blood cholesterol levels in most people. Exercise is a great way to improve blood cholesterol balance.
  • PCOS_No_More
    Options
    So many useful pieces of advice! Need to look into all of them. Thank you everyone!
  • PaulHalicki
    PaulHalicki Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Stay away from processed sugars and flours. They bump up blood sugar levels which spurs your liver to create cholesterol.
  • An extract of the red wine grape known as Transmax Resveratrol has been shown in several recent human clinical trials to lower the unhealthy LDL, Trigylceride fats, and an even more damaging form of cholesterol called ultra Low Density Lipoprotein. The trials were designed to explore Transmax's ability to control Type 2 Diabetes and prevent metabolic syndrome from evolving into Diabetes. Transmax also prevented the peroxidation of existing arterial plaque, which is an important benefit. Also, in the trial the subjects (humans not mice) experienced a reduction in blood pressure and body weight.
  • PaulHalicki
    PaulHalicki Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Or just have a glass of wine.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    I am trying to lower my bad cholesterol and increase my good one by weight loss and exercise (I follow the paleo diet).
    Exercise is beneficial for lowering your LDL and raising your HDL.

http://www.acefitness.org/acefit/healthy_living_fit_facts_content.aspx?itemid=109
  • AmykinsCatfood
    AmykinsCatfood Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil is high in good saturated fats which can help lower bad cholesterol. Also the omega fatty acids but don't bother taking Omega 9. Just Omegas 3 + 6, because those two together make 9. CoQ10 is supposed to contribute to lowering cholesterol & blood pressure and increase heart and brain function.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    I've come to terms I just have high cholesterol and no matter all the exercise, it's always up there. That said, I do take fish oils supps, but I also discovered the deliciousness of sardines. Those suckas are tasty, bones and all. :glasses: