1 year progress report : 50+ and 30 pounds gone! :)

Options
divajoni
divajoni Posts: 52 Member
hello MFP friends-- this is my one year anniversary of using MFP and i am here to share my progress pictures. Can't remember how I came across this site, but boy am i glad that I did!

This time last year, I realized I had gained 50 pounds in 5 years... how the heck did that happen?? ... and me not notice... even when I had to start buying bigger clothes (note to self next time!). I was squeezing myself into 16P and looking back I was probably even closer to 1X that i would like to admit to.

I didn't feel completely unfit, but again, looking back, i wasn't a picture of health either! I think I finally got the message in my head when I noticed my blood pressure numbers going up... that scared me A LOT.

Fortunately, I already had pretty good diet (calories aside), cooked at home most days (haven’t been to a mickyD’s in 33 years, except to use the toilet in europe), very rarely snacked, and regularly worked out a couple of days a week. My biggest challenge was my WINE intake… that was my only shocker!!

So, I embarked on this journey... lost 15 pounds by FEB, but then got distracted between MAR-MAY... didn't log consistently... and ending up gaining back some of that hard earned loss (not all of it though... WheW!).

In May, a blogger that I follow (CHEESESLAVE) mentioned a "Fitbit" in one of her posts which intrigued me, because I knew although I was working out twice a week... I had a desk job and wasn't moving nearly enough throughout the day. So, I got a Fitbit ONE... and confirmed the ugly truth... i was walking less than 4K steps A DAY... YiKeS!

I worked up to 10K steps a day, then in JUNE, CHEESESLAVE hosted a walking challenge (the winner would receive $125 gift card from amazon)... let's just say i am very competitive ;-p I upped my walking to at least 20K a day, sometimes 25K, I even got a 30K and 40K day in there (my coworkers thought i was nuts when i would walk around the room during meetings). I also have a rebounder, which I use whenever I watch the television.

I won the 6 week challenge, but only lost 4 pounds... which is always better than gaining... but i was working at 1K calorie deficit. huh? I kept at it, and lost a couple of more pounds, but kept thinking to myself... am i going to have eat less and less... how will i exist on less than 1200 calories a day?? is that what happens when you get older (and menopausal)??

Then in SEP, complete plateau... nothin'... even though I had added additional workout day in AUG, and my step count was hovering at 15K per day. Although my weight report shows me dropping from 172 to 170... i was consistently 172 the whole month (i weigh myself everyday (i know, i know... trying to break that bad habit)). i recorded my lowest weight "fluctuations" and kept them there because... well, i don't know why because!

I am a total lurker on the threads (i find them entertaining, informative, but sometimes a little sad). i found a couple of threads that discussed "eating more" and "IIFYM"... and both ideas really got me thinking... so i decided i needed to figure out my calorie maintenance level... so i decided to eat at maintenance (around 2100 cal/day) and eat back my exercise calories... and guess what... i didn't gain… even when eating 2500 cal/day!

I didn't lose either, but what a relief it was for me to know that i wasn't going to be stuck at 1200 calories for the rest of my life. Also, i changed my goal from 2lbs a week to .5lbs a week, because, although i would really rather the weight went off quickly, i needed to pay attention to my protein intake in order to maintain my lean muscle mass (this is definitely something you don’t want to lose at my age).

At the end of OCT, I went to Hong Kong for three weeks… and didn’t log a thing… but i didn’t go crazy eating either, no wine, and only a few beers (after logging consistently, i think i have a feel for things, but wouldn’t depend on this method long term).

We walked consistently 20-25K most days and i took the stairs any time we used the subway… also, note that HK is a very hilly place.. i regularly got 50-75 floors, sometimes 100 and even hit 125 and 150 ! (love my fitbit)

When i got home mid-NOV, i weighed myself… 6 pounds down.. I CAN lose weight… WhooHOO!

So, now my challenge is to figure out the proper deficit to lose more consistently and at a rate that will maintain my muscle mass… but at least i know my metabolism isn’t “broken” ;-p

I still have 20 pounds to go to meet my goal… and I fully expect this to take another year. I plan to continue with my 3x weekly HIIT classes, add 3 days of resistance training and keep my step count up to 20K, while keeping close watch on my macros: 30% protein, 25% carbs, 45% fat (yes, 45% fat because good healthy fats are your friend, but they MUST be healthy… absolutely NO vegetable oils for me apart from virgin olive oil from reputable supplier… ghee, coconut oil, lard and tallow from pastured animals for frying.. i even make my own mayonnaise! /end of fat rant).

The takeaway from all of this is to learn to use whatever tools you have at your disposal to learn about your body… and what works for your body. What works for me will not work for you (except the fat rant, please learn about healthy fats!)… and even though i have aways to get to my ultimate goal, i feel so good about taking action and making progress… MFP is AWESOME!! :)

Good luck to everyone on your weight loss adventures… i will continue to lurk and learn!! ;-p

stats:
height: 5'4"
SW: 196
CW: 167
GW: 145

sideshots_zpsff6f0387.jpg?t=1385146010
frontshot_zps576fe9ad.jpg?t=1385231011
after_zps553a9804.jpg?t=1385231029
Desktop1_zps6fc8b5e2.jpg?t=1385231066
Desktop_zps727547cf.jpg?t=1385231047

Replies

• carolann_22
    carolann_22 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I can't see your most recent pics where there's three in a row, but the bottom ones with your face, wow, great job!!! You look fantastic!
  • rosevalleygirl23
    rosevalleygirl23 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    great work and inspirational!

Please do tell, which oil do you use for mayo?
  • divajoni
    Options
    I can't see your most recent pics where there's three in a row, but the bottom ones with your face, wow, great job!!! You look fantastic!

thanks so much for your kind words and letting me know about the pictures... i just resized them, i hope it worked! :)
  • snoopymcc
    Options
    Way to go!!! Very inspiring! I am trying to lose slowly and it can get discouraging!
  • divajoni
    Options
    great work and inspirational!

Please do tell, which oil do you use for mayo?

hi there-- i use virgin olive oil from Chaffin Farms (i buy it yearly, by the gallon). also, i have a immersion blender which uncomplicates things immeasurably!! just add 1 egg yolk (make it ethical, pastured eggs, please!), 1 tsp dijon mustard, 1 TBSP apple cider vinegar, salt to taste, mix this up, then dump 1/2 cup olive oil on top and let it settle a bit... stick in the immersion blender and let the magic happen (takes about 45 secs). if you don't have immersion blender, mix up everything except oil... then add olive oil very slowly while whisking away (takes about 5 mins, feels like forever!) ;-p

edited to add: thank you for your kind words!! :)
  • AlessisMore
    AlessisMore Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Wow. I see a huge difference--it looks to me like you're shrinking all over. The first set of pictures (side view) is amazing. Good work! I wish I could lose 6 lbs while traveling!!
  • jensiegel39
    jensiegel39 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for sharing your journey with us! I'm new to MFP and I'm trying to figure it all out. I realized I'm not eating enough calories a day, so I've made adjustments. I've been eating too much sodium and sugar, so I am trying to watch those. You look great and are a total inspiration to me! I think as I'm aging (I'll be 40 in March), it's harder to lose weight than when I was younger. I have to keep reminding myself of that because it's slow-going, but it's great to see people such as yourself not give up and keep at it and have success! I bet you feel as great as you look!

Wonderful job!
  • floridared
    floridared Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Awesome pictures. Looking great and you are on the correct road for reaching your goal. Wishing you much success.
  • caroletime
    Options
    Congratulations. I loved reading about your journey. I started mine last week. After this post, I am going to try to figure out what fitbit is. Sounds like whatever it is, it helped. Your photos are inspirational. Thank you and keep on keepin' on.
  • caroletime
    Options
    Good job. Thank you for sharing and for your inspiration!
  • divajoni
    Options
    Way to go!!! Very inspiring! I am trying to lose slowly and it can get discouraging!
    Wow. I see a huge difference--it looks to me like you're shrinking all over. The first set of pictures (side view) is amazing. Good work! I wish I could lose 6 lbs while traveling!!
    Thank you so much for sharing your journey with us! I'm new to MFP and I'm trying to figure it all out. I realized I'm not eating enough calories a day, so I've made adjustments. I've been eating too much sodium and sugar, so I am trying to watch those. You look great and are a total inspiration to me! I think as I'm aging (I'll be 40 in March), it's harder to lose weight than when I was younger. I have to keep reminding myself of that because it's slow-going, but it's great to see people such as yourself not give up and keep at it and have success! I bet you feel as great as you look!

Wonderful job!
    Congratulations! Awesome pictures. Looking great and you are on the correct road for reaching your goal. Wishing you much success.
    Congratulations. I loved reading about your journey. I started mine last week. After this post, I am going to try to figure out what fitbit is. Sounds like whatever it is, it helped. Your photos are inspirational. Thank you and keep on keepin' on.
    Good job. Thank you for sharing and for your inspiration!

Thanks, ladies, soooo much for your kind words of encouragement... it really feels nice ((hugs)).
  • divajoni
    Options

hi there-- if you haven't figured it out yet, FITBIT is a device that tracks your activity (it's basically a pedometer on STEROIDS), and yes, it helped me gain awareness of how sedentary i was... and now i am hooked! I have synched it up with MFP (which i use to track my food)... and it gives me the feedback i need for ensuring i maintain a reasonable calorie deficit.

i have used pedometers in the past, but either they weren't accurate, or they broke straight away... they just never worked for me. With FITBIT, there is a "dashboard" that i can monitor my progress during the day via my laptop (it also connects to iPhone and some SAMSUNGs, but i don't have either of those phones).

AND... there is "friend" feature which provides a dose of healthy competition... i made a lot of connections during the CHEESESLAVE competition, and right now there is a 68 year old woman out there named Marilyn that is kicking my butt ;-p

if you end up getting one, feel free to friend me!
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    Well done :flowerforyou:
  • Shelby814
    Shelby814 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Congrats! You look great!
  • lenoresaari
    lenoresaari Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    wonderful! You look awesome.
  • divajoni
    Options
    Well done :flowerforyou:
    Congrats! You look great!
    wonderful! You look awesome.

thanks, gals... your kind comments are really appreciated ((hugs))
  • lighteningjeanne855
    Options
    divajoni, you've made wonderful progress on your Weight Loss Journey.

In my opinion, you've lost at least 12 years in age, as well.

Best wishes!
  • divajoni
    Options
    divajoni, you've made wonderful progress on your Weight Loss Journey.

In my opinion, you've lost at least 12 years in age, as well.

Best wishes!

how sweet... thank you, Jeanne! and congratulations to you, too, on your fantastic weight loss... let's keep it going!! :)
  • divajoni
    Options
    how sweet... thank you, Jeanne! and congratulations to you, too, on your fantastic weight loss... let's keep it going!! :)
  • beachlover0103
    beachlover0103 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your story. I started last January but didn't do well with it. I just turned 51 and need to hold onto my muscle while losing fat...no easy task. You pictures give me hope! I'm 5'4 also.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!