How do you keep the weight off during Thanksgiving?

Options
Hello All,
I was just wondering what you all are planning on doing for the holidays to keep off extra unwanted weight? And how you will deal with eating healthily? I have a feeling it's going to be hard for me, because I really love Thanksgiving food and goodies! Any ideas, links, or help would be muchly appreciated! :)

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Well, it's one day...you don't get fat in one day.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Portion control. Eat the foods you like in smaller quantities. You don't have to eat until you need to undo your pants to enjoy yourself.
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Eat under my calorie limit most of the time.
  • Debbie_Ferr
    Debbie_Ferr Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Pre-plan the best you can, be accountable for your actions, accept the outcome, then get over it and move on.

1 - Pre-plan your food .
    2 - Eat something healthy before the big meal, to curb your appetite.
    3 - Up your water consumption
    4- Log everything you eat.
    5- ACCEPT that exercising will NOT cancel out your calorie consuption for the weekend..
    6- ACCEPT that you most likely NOT be within you calorie/macro targets for the weekend.
    7- Do the best you can, then let go of it. Take a deep breath, smile, and move on.

for me, by COMMITTING to log everything I eat, it keeps me in check.
    there's definetely times I don't consume something, 'cause I know I'll have to log it. It saves me from reaching for that extra cookie, or that 2nd serving of stuffing.
  • p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Eat under my calorie limit most of the time.

I'm in the uk. My calories don't count during your "thanksgiving".
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    The same way I have kept weight off for the last two years. I eat food in moderation.
  • YouHadMyCuriosity
    YouHadMyCuriosity Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Keep up with my calorie goals and exercise all the days around it, plus adding in a couple extra workouts to give myself some wiggle room.

Usually, at Thanksgiving dinner, I let myself enjoy! It is one day, and if I tell myself I CANNOT have certain things, I just get resentful. I do, however, usually load up my heaping plate with everything I want, with the caveat that I will not go back for seconds. One extra full dinner plate will always satisfy me, and I know that I usually end up eating less if I pile everything I want on in one go, rather than taking "smaller" portions, but going back 3 times.
  • zephtalah
    zephtalah Posts: 327 Member
    Options

^This and moderation. Don't gorge, but it is okay to enjoy a favorite dessert now and then.
  • POTELoewee
    POTELoewee Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    portion control is so important during the holidays. I also log everything I eat, especially during this time. If I truly want something that will put me over my calorie goal for the day, I exercise first to "bank the calories" per se. It is amazing how sometimes the food isn't worth it if you look at it in the sense of how many minutes you have to exercise to eat it.
  • FitnessTim
    FitnessTim Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    In my experience, It's not just one day. Overindulging during the holidays just triggers all the old bad eating habits.

I'm planning on counting my calories on Thanksgiving just like any other day. Turkey breast is pretty good and there will be lots of vegetables to choose from. I'll still be able to enjoy the meal with my family.

I'll be having fresh fruit for dessert - no whip cream.

Every holiday meal, we say a few words about the people we've lost. I started to realize that most of those that passed, died from weight-related diseases, heart attack, complications from diabetes, etc. With that in mind, I have no interest in overeating.
  • scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Plan for that special treat that you know you are going to have. For example, I'm making a pumpkin cheesecake, and I am damn well going to have a piece. But I know how many calories it is, and I intend to find those calories within my daily limit. I will eat a little less of other things and make sure to get my exercise in. Also, most days I don't eat all of my exercise calories, but I will allow myself to do so on Thanksgiving....
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,276 Member
    Options
    My thinking is this...

I did not get fat from Thanksgiving and Christmas. I got fat from all the other days that I ate like crap.

As such, I still enjoy my holidays with my own traditions. I will be making a peanut butter pie.
  • stephcbms
    stephcbms Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely going to have plenty of healthy choices along with the traditional stuff :) And plan on sending most of the leftovers home with my son. Also I'm going to log everything, that helps me stay on track.
  • samammay
    samammay Posts: 468
    Options

This.
  • Kevvboy
    Kevvboy Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I like to "bank" a few extra workouts - a nice fast bike ride on Thanksgiving morning makes you feel you've totally earned that big dinner. And I make it a big one - but I try to take "spa helpings." Just the amount of food that will give you two or three satisfying bites of that flavor - then on to the next good thing. Don't feel guilty - enjoy your food.
  • clb105
    clb105 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    You need to adjust your scale back about 10 lbs and then you can eat all you want! LOL :laugh:

No, Seriously for me what I've done was take a small portion of everything I liked just for enough to taste and enjoy it, but not over do it at the same time. I usually have found it was enough and I was not hungry afterwards and not overly stuffed either.
    Also keeping up with the exercising during at least part of the week helps too. That seemed to help me to keep off the extra pounds during the holidays. Hope that helps and good luck!!
  • Flabulousss
    Options
    Have a light breakfast & lunch, eat thanksgiving dinner, have some dessert, go to bed.

edit: I think I've never struggled too much with this holiday (or any holiday really) because I'm always so damn busy trying to get gawgeous the morning of, before traveling some distance to go see relatives. So I usually forget to eat very much, or at all. Pro tip: get really vain the day of, and forget all your calorie troubles. Or go out and exercise like normal people do.
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    My plan is to eat whatever I want on Thanksgiving day, then get rid of all the leftovers except the turkey meat (skin goes in the garbage), not weigh myself for a couple of days afterwards and carry on as usual. At most I might eat enough surplus calories to gain a pound so I'm not worried about it.
  • Debbie_Ferr
    Debbie_Ferr Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    My thinking is this...

I did not get fat from Thanksgiving and Christmas. I got fat from all the other days that I ate like crap.

As such, I still enjoy my holidays with my own traditions. I will be making a peanut butter pie.

THIS :)

Let's remember.... You have to consume approx an additional 3,500 calories to gain a pound.
    So chances are your weight gain from Thanksgiving is 90% sodium water retention, and you should bounce back just fine in a couple of days, as long as you resume your mfp good habits once the day is over.
  • aimforhealthy
    aimforhealthy Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I plan to go for an hour-long walk after Thanksgiving dinner and spend most of the weekend out-of-doors as well. Nice way to get out of doors and get some fresh air. Portion control and accepting that I might either maintain or put on a pound. I'm making dinner this year, so I'm keeping an eye on lower-calorie, leaner options.