I'm sorry, I'm confused and just need to ask...

Options
2»

Replies

• p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Options

whatever you do ....do NOT under any circumstances log your breastfeeding as exercise because ppl get so nuts on here about what qualifies as exercise and for sure do NOT post a thread asking about if it's okay that you did that. it wil become WWIII and you will end up feelign like you have to defend your choices, method, and logic. Nobody needs that. Especially a nursing mom with bigger fish to fry. Good luck on your goals. You got this. :flowerforyou:

Yes. This.

I don't know why people get so hung up about it.
  • RawTasha
    Options

whatever you do ....do NOT under any circumstances log your breastfeeding as exercise because ppl get so nuts on here about what qualifies as exercise and for sure do NOT post a thread asking about if it's okay that you did that. it wil become WWIII and you will end up feelign like you have to defend your choices, method, and logic. Nobody needs that. Especially a nursing mom with bigger fish to fry. Good luck on your goals. You got this. :flowerforyou:

Yes. This.

I don't know why people get so hung up about it.

haha sadly I already 'screwed up' as I think that was my very first Topic I started on here *blush*

The problem is I use Fitbit as well and the site doesn't take in to account negative calories so throws the whole thing out.
  • RawTasha
    Options
    Oh and I also need to eat all my exercise calories back too right?
  • johnthomasmoore
    johnthomasmoore Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    You might want to log your weight on https://trendweight.com or http://www.fourmilab.ch/hackdiet/online/hdo.html. Both sites based on The Hacker's Diet. Will chart your loss and give you an estimate of your daily deficit. The cool thing about the chart of weight loss is it shows a weighted moving average (smoothes out the ups and downs) which reduces your panic about little daily variations.
  • jfrankic
    jfrankic Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Oh and I also need to eat all my exercise calories back too right?

If you calculated TDEE, that already considers exercise calories and you just eat your calorie goal every day, regardless of exercise. If you calculate via MFP, then you eat back exercise calories.
  • Ivey05131980
    Ivey05131980 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    MFP sets your calorie goal and does NOT take into account your exercise calories burned.

An easier way is to calculate your TDEE, which considers your lifestyle with daily living and your activities through exercise. You can take a slight cut from your TDEE (after adding in calories for breastfeeding) to eat at a deficit.

Read this post and it will help clarify everything. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet If you calculated your maintenance at 2,500 calories, then take a 10-15% cut and make that your daily goal. It's better to start with a small deficit and increase if you need to than to start too low. Also, you don't want to cut too deep and effect your milk supply. Congrats on nursing, BTW!!

I ate around 1,500-1,700 per day and my milk supply totally tanked and I struggled to nurse for a full year. I know now that I should've been eating 2,200 or so. Now, I maintain my weight on 2600-2700 calories per day @ 33 years old, 5'7 3/4 and 158ish pounds.

And you are awesome!!
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Kia ora!

what you're doing for a couple of weeks. if you don't lose weight you know you're eating too much or not exercising enough. So modify, see what happens in a couple of weeks again. You will go mental worrying about calorie counting. Eat natural food, mainly veges and lean meats. Avoid junk and alcohol (yeah I know).