Detoxing with Fast?

Options
Has anyone else had success with kicking off their weight loss journey with a detox that required fasting?

I understand that when I start eating solids again, I'm going to GAIN some of the weight back - I'm not stupid. I am really hoping this breaks my urges for terrible food. I am considered obese at my size, and my typical diet would consist of sugary snacks, french fries, mac & cheese, etc.

To anyone who has had experience with detoxes or fasting -- any tips or any advice to help me get through the next 3 days ~ it would be very much appreciated. Did your detox and/or fast help you long term stay motivated?

Replies

• Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    My first advice is to stop thinking of any food as terrible. There are no bad foods, some are just more calorie dense than others. You shouldn't feel that you have to give up the foods you love, when you can incorporate them in moderation.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://impruvism.com/flexible-dieting-basics/

As for fasting there are groups on here where you can learn more:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/49-intermittent-fasting

Edited to go get a link.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    What are you detoxing from? I don't have any experience with detoxing, but it might help people give advice if they know what you're detoxing from.

I will say though that weight loss isn't something that needs a "kick start". People often see a bigger loss when they start out, because of dropping a chunk of water weight when they start restricting. Other people don't, and that's fine. With weight loss, you just need to start, and then keep going. No magic tricks. :smile:
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    My first advice is to stop thinking of any food as terrible. There are no bad foods, some are just more calorie dense than others. You shouldn't feel that you have to give up the foods you love, when you can incorporate them in moderation.
    I also agree with this. Obviously, a diet consisting only of sugary snacks, french fries and mac & cheese is not nutritionally very well balanced and it might be hard to meet your calorie goal only eating such calorie dense foods. It doesn't have to be all or nothing though. Make small changes that you can stick with long-term.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    A fast can be a great way to make a sudden break from your bad habits. The best advice i can give you is to plan what you want to eat AFTER your fast, because that is what is most important.

For more info on fasting, AND the proper diet to eat after the fast, check out Dr. Alan Goldhamer's video's on youtube, or his book "The Pleasure Trap"

Or for info on juice fasting, which isn't really fasting, but still a great way to make a sudden break from bad habits, check out the movie "Fat Sick and Nearly Dead"
  • CyanOwl
    CyanOwl Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you both for the words of advice & thank you Cindy for the link!

Currently, I need to eat a lot to feel "satisfied".

I would like to be satisfied with eating let's say, a large salad with balsamic vinegar and some cooked salmon.. if I ate that now, I'd be looking for snacks in an hour. I thought the detox would be a great kick off and help decrease my appetite so I don't feel like I need to eat everything in the fridge to be satisfied.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    You can do this without a detox or fast. Ease into it.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Your body does a wonderful job detoxing itself. There is no scientific evidence that detoxes do anything for your health/diet/weight loss.

If you want to "Kick Start" your weight loss, all you need is a calorie deficit. You don't even have to give up the foods you love, you just have to eat less of them.

I suggest reading this regarding detoxes: http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/guide/detox-diets-purging-myths

And for just getting your sexypants on, read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • FitnessTim
    FitnessTim Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Every time I hear the word "detox" I cringe. There's no evidence that supports the concept of detox diets.

On the other hand, I am starting to believe that there may be something to be gained from a fast. I have never fasted for day or more but I can see how it so can help with kicking bad habits. It may be like resetting your taste buds.

I'll never consider fasting a healthy thing to do, but compared with the average American diet, fasting for one or two days is not as risky as having a Big Mac from McDonald's.

I would consider fasting to be a matter of personal choice and not of health.

http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/guide/detox-diets-purging-myths

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/is_fasting_healthy
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

I would like to be satisfied with eating let's say, a large salad with balsamic vinegar and some cooked salmon.. if I ate that now, I'd be looking for snacks in an hour. I thought the detox would be a great kick off and help decrease my appetite so I don't feel like I need to eat everything in the fridge to be satisfied.

I would be hungry to in less than a hour if I had to eat just a salad and a piece of fish..... What is your calorie goal currently and if I may ask what did you set your weight loss too..... I am in the camp your body does a great job of detoxing itself.... As far as the binging that is a mental aspect that will take more than a so called fast/detox to fix.... I was a major food addict, eating mindlessly to 560 lbs. and left myself homebound and even after 3 years of weight loss and 1 year of maintenance and 300+ lbs. lost I still have to work on the mental side of this journey to make sure I adhere to my success long term.... Best of Luck
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options

I would be hungry to in less than a hour if I had to eat just a salad and a piece of fish..... What is your calorie goal currently and if I may ask what did you set your weight loss too..... I am in the camp your body does a great job of detoxing itself.... As far as the binging that is a mental aspect that will take more than a so called fast/detox to fix.... I was a major food addict, eating mindlessly to 560 lbs. and left myself homebound and even after 3 years of weight loss and 1 year of maintenance and 300+ lbs. lost I still have to work on the mental side of this journey to make sure I adhere to my success long term.... Best of Luck

This is very true. As much as I had hoped that after 19 months I would be over the food problems - I am not. I eat all foods - but in moderation.

If I had any advice for you it would be this: Learn moderation. Make your goal every day be that you will really think about what you're eating and why you're eating. Plan your meals and snacks early in the morning.

Most importantly, when you are ready to lose the weight, you will. It will be your priority. No one and nothing will ever be able to stop you. Just get up and start now.
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    "Jump starting" or "cleansing" is purely a mental game ... Like marriage, that ring on your finger will only "mentally" stop you from cheating, physically (if you are inclined to do so), not so much ... Just eat less processed foods and keep yourself in a deficit ...

You like to eat high volume, then I suggest you look at a plan like "Eat to Live" ... I personally can not stand Joel Furman, and would never give up my meat, fish, eggs, and dairy, but as far as volume of food per calorie, his plan is the best there is ...

ETA: He kind of reminds me of Josef Goebbels, but taller, and not club-footed ...
  • MrsBingley
    Options
    FWIW, growing up, I fasted 24 hours once a month for religious reasons. All I wanted when it was over was carbs and more carbs. Fasting hasn't seemed to do much for my family's weight or appetite either

I don't fast anymore as my religious views have changed, and for me, it is much easier to regulate my appetite with frequent small meals.

Just one person's experience. I know some people here have luck with IF, but don't be sad if it doesn't work for you. You can always switch up your meal timing/frequency to something new.

Also, as a general rule, I would stay far far away from any Web blogs that talk about "detoxing" anything in regards to diet. Detoxing is for poison control or drug addicts.
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options

No, fasting won't lower your appetite in the short term or long-term. If anything it'll just lead to binges. You'll need to find what foods you can eat in moderation and still feel fully fed (protein works best for me. Carbs just make me hungrier) and probably work on changing your personal definition of satisfied.