What protein powder/shake is most effective?

Options
Okay I have no idea on protein shakes, bars, supplements and when to take them.
I am wanting to take them for extra easy source of protein and some calories.
Please help and post below :)

Replies

• AbidKhan99
    Options
  • AbidKhan99
    Options
    anyone?
  • LindseyAlyssa
    Options
    I can't say about "best", as that's relative to what your goals and preferences are, but I personally find myself most happy with Plant Fusion. It is Lactose, Cholesterol, Dairy, Soy, and Gluten Free, with 21g of protein per scoop. Very finely milled, and there's an unflavored powder that would mix well into a variety of recipes. I presently use the vanilla powder and mix a scoop with 1.5 cups of almond milk, 1 medium banana, and a half cup of strawberries to make a shake. Ends up around 340 calories. Add some peanut butter to increase that number quite a bit.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    If you can hit or exceed your protein goal with real foods, do that instead of buying protein powder. Real food is yummier.

Also most protein bars are basically candy bars. But I know some of my friends here like Quest bars
  • Ang01_20
    Ang01_20 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    #ItWorks! You can even bake with it. It has exactly the amount of protein and nutrients needed. These products are amazing and has helped aid in my weightloss.
  • Navymustng
    Navymustng Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Intek Evolution I love it. Vanilla taste great. 160 calories per scoop is 31 grams of protein. I have been using for 3 years and love it. www.inteknutrition.com. Good luck!

http://www.inteknutrition.com/PRODUCTS/PROTEIN EVOLUTION/protein.html

5 lb ($77.99) size
  • deanronaldhayes
    Options
    The best shake is the one on the dance floor. Whoop Whoop ! Happy Saturday.
  • michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
  • Go_Duke_2011
    Go_Duke_2011 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Protein powder is a somewhat personal choice.....what's important to some might not be as important to others. Some want cheap, others want taste or mixability. I do a fair amount of research of protein powders on the bodybuilding.com forums mainly because those folks know protein powder inside and out....it's the staple for what the do. It has worked out well for me. I wanted a good clean whey protein powder that had little or no sugar or carbs, and mixed easily with water in a shaker bottle. I've been using Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey - I like Chocolate Mint and Double Rich Chocolate.

24g of protein per scoop
    120 cals
    1g fat
    3G carbs
    2g sugar

It is somewhat pricey at $56 per 5lb tub but that has 72 servings so it's basically about $.75-.80 per 24g of protein shake. And it's a very very good whey protein. Mixes easy, no clumping....tastes fine with water...even better with skim milk. You can get cheaper protein powder for sure at Walmart or wherever but the quality is not going to be nearly as good.

http://www.optimumnutrition.com/products/100-Whey-Gold-Standard-p-201.html

There are a bunch of good proteins out there.....just do a little research and see what others say about the powder they us.....good luck!!
  • CatGirl898
    CatGirl898 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My approach was to try some of the one-serving size packets that Whole Foods had. I was looking for something without added sugar, specifically fructose. I tried Vega (protein smoothie vanilla and the Sports one). Not too crazy about those as they seemed gritty. I tried Amazing Meal Vanilla Chia Infusion (I will buy this one in the future). I also have the Raw Protein brand one with has some added healthy ingredients. I don't use water as the liquid but either flax seed milk or almond milk. Sometimes I add half a banana. I'm on a gluten-free, dairy-free diet and am focusing on reducing the amount of sugar in my diet. Other posters had some good suggestions also. There may be some companies that offer free samples of the protein powders. I've only gone to Whole Foods and know their selection. There may certainly be companies that offer free samples of their protein powders.
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    There is not most effective.

Whey is not a magical source of protein to cake on muscle within minutes. All it is, is one of the cleanest and most available protein sources on the market.

I advise you to check the labels on the make if you buy some. If a serving size is 50g... and there's only 25g of protein in that serving, and you're eating/drinking 25g of UNKNOWN trash. So, make sure you get a reputable brand and not the Wal-Mart crap either.

Protein bars are the same way. The cleanest bars without added crap in them are Quest Bars & Oh yeah! bars.
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I agree don't get the walmart brand. Walmart brand and some other inexpensive brands "amino" spike their proteins. The label will say 25 gr protein but there is actually only 15 or so grams. If the label list a single or couple of amino acids or even creatine high on the list, it's probably amino spiked
  • AbidKhan99
    Options
    Thanks guys, I really wanna get quest bars but it's a mission to get them in UK
  • grantdumas7
    Options
    Thanks guys, I really wanna get quest bars but it's a mission to get them in UK
    You can make your own bars for alot cheaper.
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/healthy-inexpensive-meal-replacement-bars/
    Here are some homemade bulking bars
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/natural-bulking-bars/
  • AbidKhan99
    Options
    I don't really have time etc for making my own bars, anyone got link to cheap protein bars that are affective?
  • grantdumas7
    Options
    I don't really have time etc for making my own bars, anyone got link to cheap protein bars that are affective?
    You're kidding....right? They take less than 20 minutes to make.
  • crash_aly
    Options
    I would head to your local GNC or nutrition/vitamin store and talk to the people there! Often times they can even have you sample different products or have return policies in case you end up not liking the taste! Plus they can show you which products will match your goals and are just good sources of knowledge in general!
  • heatedarrow
    Options
    I've been using Whey Gourmet (http://www.wheygourmet.com/products/wheygourmet.php). I took some time browsing the labels at my local GNC and found it to be most compatible with what I'm using it for (lean protein). It has very little fat and excess fillers, and is fairly low cal (120 cal). It also has BCAAs, which makes it a great post-workout shake. It is on the expensive side though, but I do agree with the others in staying away from the cheap walmart knockoffs. I'd rather pay for the quality.