Is it just me? Help with the cal count, way too low!

2»

Replies

• rachelamber_x
    rachelamber_x Posts: 104 Member
    Also, adding to what everyone else has said think about what food as well as how much you are eating.
    You can eat a hell of a lot of vegetables for not all that many calories, so you get full but don't go too high on the calories.
    Bonus is all the good things in veg :)
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    I think if you're borderline diabetic you should work on quitting the sugar. You crave it because you have it so much. Cut out sugar for 3 weeks then see how you feel.

There are natural, calorie-free sweeteners. It's not just sugar or aspartame anymore.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Listen to Luckydays27, she knows what she's talking about. You should never cut your calories so drastically. And 1000 calories per day is actually dangerous for you! You should never eat less than 1200 calories per day, ideally no less than 1500 (you need to figure out your maintenance calorie requirement to get a better idea). I am not sure about the link that luckydays27 provided as I have never used it but I will provide you with another link just as a second place to check out. This is the site I use and it has been great in narrowing down my daily calorie and macro requirements. http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/
    Slow and steady wins the race!

Thanks for posting this. I'd never used this site before and I was happy to learn that I'm eating exactly what I should.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,423 Member
    Along with everyone else's good advice I would recommend eating frequently. A snack or breakfast when you first get up and then something 100 calories or more every 3-4 hours and be sure you are getting a good mix of protein and complex carbs. I would also start slowly cutting back on your sugar and fat (use a bit less in your coffee and maybe milk instead of half and half). Also I would stay away from the artificial sugars and sugar replacements they have been shown to affect how your body manages the blood sugar levels. Good luck!
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    1) You're not sedentary unless you have mobility challenges
    2) Set your goal to lose .5 lbs/week
    3) Stick to it and lose weight.
  • Roaringgael
    Roaringgael Posts: 339 Member
    1) You're not sedentary unless you have mobility challenges
    2) Set your goal to lose .5 lbs/week
    3) Stick to it and lose weight.

What they all said. I have had losses around 1kg (2.2lbs) with a higher calorie value than 1200. I am pretty sedentary at the moment because of a knee injury. Eat more calories, eat them before bed if you want. I'm a night shift worker and my eatings all over the place.:smile:
  • Wow, lots of great info ~ thank all of you! Yes I do have a bit of mobility issues but hoping losing the weight will help. Fibromyalgia and RA make it difficult to get the exercise I use too. I'm so dang tired all the time.

Again, a big thank you to y'all! :heart:

ETA: Did good today, total cal's 1,386! Those that said it's the coffee getting me on the sugar are spot on. Lunch sugar was 12, Dinner 5 and the snacks were 0! Protein was off the chart - good when you use mostly veggie protein. Have learned so much here in two days - awesome!
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    One other thing that may help is to gradually decrease the amount of sugar in your coffee. For example, if you use a heaping tablespoon, try using a level one -- if you use a level 1, cut to 2 teaspoons.

Honestly one thing I did at first was to just set myself to maintenance. I figured that if I was maintaining then at least I wasn't getting fatter, and as long as I came in under THAT goal I was losing weight, be it ever so slowly.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Go for a walk or do some mat exercises, etc after your coffee if you can't cut the sugar in it. I have been monitoring my BG, and even a short walk helps so much! I like to drink OJ in the morning, and I can't really do that unless I do something to help the glucose get cleared out. But it's a win-win because I'm increasing my activity that way, too :) Without even sweating! I sweat later in the day when I work out and I'd hate to have to take 2 showers, lol.
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Wow, lots of great info ~ thank all of you! Yes I do have a bit of mobility issues but hoping losing the weight will help. Fibromyalgia and RA make it difficult to get the exercise I use too. I'm so dang tired all the time.

Again, a big thank you to y'all! :heart:

ETA: Did good today, total cal's 1,386! Those that said it's the coffee getting me on the sugar are spot on. Lunch sugar was 12, Dinner 5 and the snacks were 0! Protein was off the chart - good when you use mostly veggie protein. Have learned so much here in two days - awesome!

Walking, Yoga, and Tai Chi are great exercises for people with RA and fibromyalgia, Low impact and increases blood flow and flexibility ... You want to move a bit, the less you move, the stiffer you are, the more pain you'll be in ...
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Dont listen to the other person. Aiming for 1000 cals is crazy talk. Sorry but its true.

You need to figure out what your TDEE is. Click here: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
    Eat a small deficit off that number. Maybe 15% less that that number because you are only 25 lbs from your goal. Do not eat back yoru exercise cals as they are including in the TDEE calculation.

Alternatively, you can set MFP up so that you lose .5 - 1 lb a week weight loss. Yes, I know its slow but its better than starving. If you do this, you are supposed to eat back your exercise cals you burn during fitness.

I am 5'4 weight 161. MFP tells me to eat 1250 a day with a 1 lb a week weight loss goal. I also use a heart rate monitor during fitness and eat back all of those cals. I average about 1700 cals a day intake and I am losing on average 1 lb a week. Just like I planned for,

yes, its slow but its sustainable AND realistic. I did not get fat quick and I am not going to get fit quick either.

This! I'm 15 lbs from my goal and still losing at 1600 calories a day.