Over calories

Options
What do you do when you go over your calorie limit? Not enough to gain but enough to make you feel bad?

Replies

• tiggerlgh
    tiggerlgh Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    If I have time I do a little more exercise. If not, I just live with it and am more contentious the next day. it happens, and for me at least its going to happen a lot this week (but I will also probably go over everything). My goal is to be back on target next week.
  • callas444
    callas444 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Weight loss doesn't take perfection, just eating less calories and moving more. It's okay if there are days once in a while where you are over. Try to move more, try to eat just at or a little under for the next day. Don't let a mistake get you down because that's when people quit trying. Attitude is everything!
  • 87monkey
    87monkey Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    meh. move on and not do it the next day lol. Then evaluate why you went over so you don't continually do it. Did you go over because you are still hungry? then up your calories a bit. Did you go over because you ate too much junk ( lol I call them hallow calories because my stomach still feels hallow afterward)?
  • AlyssasDiet
    Options
    I go exercise unless there's a legitimate reason why I cant. If I can't exercise I just chill, don't eat any more, start from scratch the next day. :smile:
  • DeterminedToLoseIt02
    Options
    Good points everyone :) I especially like the idea of doing a bit more exercise

meh. move on and not do it the next day lol. Then evaluate why you went over so you don't continually do it. Did you go over because you are still hungry? then up your calories a bit. Did you go over because you ate too much junk ( lol I call them hallow calories because my stomach still feels hallow afterward)?

I had a really big breakfast and a mid afternoon snack that put me over a bit :) Halloween candy will be the death of me
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    This is going to sound harsh, but maybe you need to reevaluate your relationship with food. I have gone hundreds of calories over in a day, and I don't feel guilty. It doesn't happen often, but there is nothing to do to change it. You could work off those calories through exercise. My suggestion would be to look over your day and see if you can find any reason as to why you went over. Is your daily goal low? Is something emotional going on today? Did you make poor food choices and therefore not get enough quantity/quality food? Keep an eye on it. I like to make notes in my diary about how I was feeling on my over goal days to see if there is a pattern.
  • DeterminedToLoseIt02
    Options
    This is going to sound harsh, but maybe you need to reevaluate your relationship with food. I have gone hundreds of calories over in a day, and I don't feel guilty. It doesn't happen often, but there is nothing to do to change it. You could work off those calories through exercise. My suggestion would be to look over your day and see if you can find any reason as to why you went over. Is your daily goal low? Is something emotional going on today? Did you make poor food choices and therefore not get enough quantity/quality food? Keep an eye on it. I like to make notes in my diary about how I was feeling on my over goal days to see if there is a pattern.

Ooh, I don't feel quilty, I was more just curious what others do. :) I'm not really worried about going over mine, just wondering how others handle going over theirs.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I don't really worry too much about the day-to-day numbers. Oh, I try to stick to my limit each day, but if I'm off a little I don't care. I try to look more at the weekly total. The phone app makes that easier. But basically, MFP puts you in a deficit of around 500 calories a day, to add up to 3500 each week, for a loss of one pound per week. Not that I'm actually losing one pound per week, lol. But in my mind, even if I'm over my goal by 200 or 300 calories on one day, I'm still in the losing range. So it's all good. It's still less than I'd been eating before I started this.
  • WhisperingCloud
    WhisperingCloud Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I like to sit down in the mornings and plan my meals so this doesn't happen. It's easier to follow a schedule that you know is going to add up, then flying by the seat of your pants, hoping you don't go over. And just like the others said, when its just a little, say 70-100 calories over, its easy to get that off. Just google "how to burn 100 calories" and you'll get all kind of suggestions that are pretty easy and time-saving. If it's late, and you don't want to get your heart rate up, you can even do 30 minutes of yoga!
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

Ooh, I don't feel quilty, I was more just curious what others do. :) I'm not really worried about going over mine, just wondering how others handle going over theirs.

Sorry, my misinterpretation. Your OP stated "Not enough to gain but enough to make you feel bad?" I equated feel bad with feel guilty.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I'm over today, I don't feel bad. :tongue:

Some days I'm under, some days I'm over, some days I'm right on. It evens out. I'm consistent with exercise and eating well at least 80% of the time - this is my lifestyle. Rigid discipline that never allows for going over a certain number or beating myself up about it if I do ain't gonna cut it for the rest of my life.

Log what you ate and move on - tomorrow is a new day. :bigsmile:
  • blankney94
    Options
    I simply allow myself to have a 'treat' day or a 'bad' day every now and again, and then get back on the band wagon the next day. No telling myself off, no blaming or feeling bad - as that is counter productive. Perhaps try and get some exercise on those days when you go over, and that will help bring things back into equilibrium.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    What do you do when you go over your calorie limit? Not enough to gain but enough to make you feel bad?

I don't worry about it and I move on.

I'm 107 calories over today, but by the end of tomorrow I will not be over in my weekly calorie goal. The weekly average is what counts the most.
  • FreyasRebirth
    FreyasRebirth Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    As long as you're under maintenance, you will lose weight (although more slowly).