Allow cell phone conversation back on planes?

Options
ninerbuff
ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
Right now it's banned. There's a consideration to have it back while in mid flight (still have to turn it off on take off and landing) by the FAA. So yes or no?

For me, NO. I find it comforting not having to listen to people's conversations (especially loud people) while stuck in a confined area. To me it's one of the last few places of peace away from the phones. Read a book. Talk to other people. Sleep.

Let's roll this!

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
IDEA Fitness member
Kickboxing Certified Instructor
Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Replies

• wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    I'm fine with texting (ringer off) and web browsing. But actual conversations should be disallowed.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I say no...there's already enough noise to deal with on planes. Would get stabby with a plane full of people talking loudly and saying, "can you hear me!?"
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I'm fine with texting (ringer off) and web browsing. But actual conversations should be disallowed.

This is acceptable.
  • CompressedCarbon
    CompressedCarbon Posts: 357 Member
    Options

This is acceptable.

Agree. I don't want to hear the conversations about issues with your girlfriend's boyfriend or what plans for productivity that you have planned for the marketing seminar you are giving. Just be quiet. Because you probably aren't as important as you think you are. Whatever you have to say can wait a few hours.
  • Walkbyfaith1971
    Walkbyfaith1971 Posts: 7 Member
    Options

This is acceptable.

Agree. I don't want to hear the conversations about issues with your girlfriend's boyfriend or what plans for productivity that you have planned for the marketing seminar you are giving. Just be quiet. Because you probably aren't as important as you think you are. Whatever you have to say can wait a few hours.

Yep, all of this!
  • hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I say no...there's already enough noise to deal with on planes. Would get stabby with a plane full of people talking loudly and saying, "can you hear me!?"

exactly. I don't need to hear other people try and recreate ATT commercials.

so my answer is: heck no.
  • mjrkearney
    mjrkearney Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    It's the FCC's call, not the FAA.
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    I hate flying

I don't hear anything on the damn plane but the sound of my own heart beating

Cell phone use doesn't effect me one way or the other, but I'm gonna vote NO. Only because I need my seatmates to hold my hand and give me attention.
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options

I agree!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    It's the FCC's call, not the FAA.
    Sorry my bad. That's correct. Even if accepted by the FCC, they won't require airlines to adhere to it if they don't want to.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    How would that work in practice? If people are allowed to use their phones, then how do you restrict them to text or other non-speaking tasks? What about noisy games?
  • StanNoftsger13
    Options
    The activity of the animal beings has become acutely active everywhere on this earth. Bodies do not get time to booty a blow for a while. With the accretion use of altered gadgets of Gps Jammer, the possibilities of accepting the aboriginal of blow accept absolutely finished. The adaptable phones or the corpuscle phones are some of these accessories that accumulate the bodies consistently in blow with the alfresco world. The adaptable building are additionally accessible about everywhere these canicule and due to this the accessibility of the Cell Phone blockers has become alike added quick and authentic. Today, you cannot break out of ability of these adaptable building as their signals can bolt your about anywhere. The bearings of bodies who accord to altered business professions has become actual analytical of wifi jammer as their authorities bolt them anywhere any moment.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    The activity of the animal beings has become acutely active everywhere on this earth. Bodies do not get time to booty a blow for a while. With the accretion use of altered gadgets of Gps Jammer, the possibilities of accepting the aboriginal of blow accept absolutely finished. The adaptable phones or the corpuscle phones are some of these accessories that accumulate the bodies consistently in blow with the alfresco world. The adaptable building are additionally accessible about everywhere these canicule and due to this the accessibility of the Cell Phone blockers has become alike added quick and authentic. Today, you cannot break out of ability of these adaptable building as their signals can bolt your about anywhere. The bearings of bodies who accord to altered business professions has become actual analytical of wifi jammer as their authorities bolt them anywhere any moment.

What?

It's bad enough that I have to listen to people talking on their cell phones in public bathrooms, I sure don't want to listen to their conversations on a plane. Hopefully this won't be allowed to happen.
  • VeganLexi
    VeganLexi Posts: 960 Member
    Options

This is acceptable.

Yep

ETA - Screaming kids are more of an annoyance when flying than a phone conversation...in my opinion anyway.
  • ekz13
    ekz13 Posts: 725 Member
    Options

AGREE!! hit the nail on the head...

I don't need 8-14 hours on a plane listening to someones self important conversation about whatever.. that would end badly, especially since they have the ability to charge the phone ...:huh:

no..just no

I had to listen to some lady in jiffy lube yesterday for 15 min talk about her plans for thanksgiving and how she thought her dish was better, I was about ready to toss her phone in the parking lot.

People in society today need to learn the difference between can and should... Just because you CAN doesn't always mean you SHOULD...