Fitbit BMR

So, I understand how the link between Fitbit and MFP works. If Fitbit says I burned 3000 calories, but MFP says I was supposed to burn 2,500, I earn 500 extra calories.

Right now, I have MFP set to maintain weight. I haven't been wearing my Fibit. MFP says I need to eat 2060 calories to maintain my weight if I'm sedentary. Fitbit said I burned 2,288 calories yesterday with it not being worn. Based on howt the link between MFP and Fitbit works, I should have earned LEAST 200 extra calories.

Why is this? Shouldn't my calorie goal at LEAST be 2,200 calories since Fitbit says I burn that if I do NO activity all day?

Replies

• Ithina1
    Ithina1 Posts: 93 Member
    There are a few calculators out there for TDEE (what you burn on a daily basis). MFP and Fitbit sound like they use different ones. Basically you have to do trial and error to see what your actual TDEE is. Averaging them is a good place to start. You can also check out this page for some more calculators. http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    When's the last time you changed your weight on your Fitbit profile?
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Is your Fitbit set to estimate your calorie burn when not worn? If so, then the 2200 isn't Fitbit's BMR estimate for you, it's its TDEE estimate.

Also, I imagine if MFP thinks you burn 2500 and your Fitbit said you burned 2200 yesterday, there won't be a positive Fitbit adjustment since 2200<2500. But I don't use MFP's plan so I could be wrong there.

I'm not even sure that a 'calorie estimation' day (Fitbit not worn) triggers a MFP calorie adjustment at all. Fitbit says it doesn't count those days into your averages for their site.