snacks for those with food allergies

Options
Anyone have any suggestions for healthy snacks when dealing with food allergies to (dairy, soy, wheat, corn, sugar, yeast, eggs)? I have been snacking on cashews and almonds like crazy and blowing my calories intake everyday because of it.

Replies

• mary020378
    Options
    have you tried drinking almond milk. never tried that milk yet. i drink soy milk. i know it cost more but at least you will be able to get your calcium. i really don't know of much foods to make a suggestion to help.
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    I'm allergic to life too!
    Wheat barley rye soy, tree nuts, pitted tree fruit and the list goes on and on... It really does make snacking hard. But here are some suggestions:

Make your own hummus (it's really easy) and dip veggies for a snack

Peanut or Almond butter on apples or celery

Fresh fruit and veggies ( tend to slice bell peppers, cucumbers, broccoli etc.. and keep it in single serve bags in the fridge so I can grab it and go)

I just saw coconut milk yogurt at the grocery store (I havent' tried it)- that MAY be an option (I didn't look to see if it contained soy) but if it doesn't that with berries would be a good snack

I'll put a can of tuna fish on lettuce- it's really good. I can't eat raw tomatoes but I remember by gramma slicing a tomato and putting tuna on it and it being really good.

Lettuce wraps- cold cuts (chicken turkey ham etc...) wrapped in lettuce with some mustard, cucumber and avacado...

I've learned that I can't rely on store bought processed snacks (except rice crackers) so I've just had to get creative... Hope this helps and I with you luck!!

Happy Snacking!!:drinker:
  • johnnya2
    Options
    Broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, apples, strawberries, grapes, sunflower seeds,
  • stephijames
    stephijames Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I snack on baby carrots, sunflower seeds, almonds, and veggies like yellow bell peppers, cherry tomatoes. I also discovered Lara Bars, and they are awesomely yummy and satisfy my need for something sweet. Lara bars are gluten free, and only made with raw ingredients --- dates, cashews, etc. :smile:
  • lculian
    lculian Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Allergic to life! Wow, but with great attitudes:flowerforyou:

It sounds like allergies translate to healthy eatting. I think the home made hummus sounds really tastey, with bell peppers, yum!

I like sliced cucmbers with crab dip. Crab meat, celery and some onion on cucmbers add a littles salt and pepper and it makes a great snack or even lunch:)
  • lkersting
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions and tips. I will give some of these a try.