Settings so MFP and Fitbit work in harmony... need help!

Options
Here are my stats via the calculations I've come up with using various sources from around the internet:

My BMR is 1487 calories per day.
My TDEE is 2175 calories per day.
My goal for fat loss should be 1631 calories per day.

I go to the gym a minimum of five days per week at least 45 minutes per session. I alternate between upperbody/HIIT cardio, intense cardio, and lower body/core/HIIT cardio on rotating days. I work with a personal trainer.

P.S. I'm 5'3", 170 pounds, 25 years old.

MFP stats are:

TDEE of 2000 calories per day.
Says my goal for fat loss should be just 1200 calories per day... which I feel is entirely too low.

Fitbit stats are:

TDEE of 2942 calories per day.
Tells me I should eat just 250 less calories per day than my TDEE which is too low. I need a higher deficit (and I cannot figure out how to change this in settings.)

Basically, what should my settings be so that they work together? I have the calories estimation turned off on Fitbit. Also, I'm having a really hard time with how the calorie adjustment that feeds to MFP works. I feel like it will have me consuming back too many calories. Per MFP - I'm only logging food and activities through their website as Fibit logs don't feed to MFP per their FAQ.

Replies

• WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    "Fitbit stats are:

TDEE of 2942 calories per day.
    Tells me I should eat just 250 less calories per day than my TDEE which is too low. I need a higher deficit (and I cannot figure out how to change this in settings.) "

Can you check the info you put in the Fitbit (gender, age, etc)? 2942 sounds awfully high when the internet calculators say more like 2100. How many steps do you log a day, according to Fitbit?

I have calorie estimation turned on but I think that only applies to what the Fitbit does when you forget to wear it.

What is your plan intensity set to on the Fitbit site? To see, click the little gear on the Food Plan tile on the Dashboard. If you need to change it, click the little pencil next to the setting.

I have the two linked just so my food log carries over to Fitbit but I ignore the Fitbit adjustment to MFP's goals for me because I don't use MFP's goals. The adjustment is pretty small, though. Usually 200 calories or so. I think I could use either site's goals and they'd make sense.
  • ashleynratliff
    Options
    I'm averaging at least 12,500 steps per day (been as high as 20,000 steps) but those include workouts. I turned the calorie estimation off just because I read on their forums that it causes the number to be skewed.

I actually just figured out how to change it... it was set to easy. I set it to hard but then change it so that my calories to be consumed matched MFP.

I also thought 2942 was high but I am pretty active so I don't really know. I've only been using it a few days so hopefully it'll become more accurate over time?
  • donnaleighh
    donnaleighh Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I set mine up as follows and it works a treat ....

1. Synch Fitbit to MFP
    2. Have your MFP activity level set to sedentary
    3. Allow negative adjustments
    4. I log all exercise that is not walking into MFP (and it is worth always double checking that it has logged in Fitbit at the same time - sometimes it bigs)

What you log into MFP as activity will override Fitbit for the same period. You will get a fitbit adjustment for you steps for the day - it is up to you how much you choose to eat back.

There is a great Fitbit Users group here which has lots of threads and info
  • scrapjen
    scrapjen Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    MFP almost always give a very low calorie count to start, but if you add in any exercise at all, it will allow you more calories to eat.

Your Fitbit TDEE is higher because it is taking into account ALL your actual activity (not just exercise, but movement throughout the day as well). That said ... many people do believe Fitbit is coming in a little high, so take it with a grain of salt. Are you adding all your workouts manually (using a HRM of something to get a calorie estimate), or going off the Fitbit calculation? I've been trying to compare my machines/HRM/FB calorie counts (online estimators too) and they are all over the place. I tend to try to err on the side of caution and go with the lowest, or not not eat back all my calories (leaving an extra 500+ deficit a day).

When I enter activity manually (which I only do if I feel the Fitbit is really off, otherwise it just isn't worth taking the time to do it) I enter it on the Fitbit site. It just blends in with your total FB adjustment for the day. I like to compare that number day to day.

Glad you figured out how to change the settings - I've got mine set up to a medium plan/sedentary setting and although it doesn't line up exactly, it is usually pretty close to MFP. Fitbit starts with a lower calorie consumption estimate, then adds through the day. I really only look at the actual calorie amount (not how much I have left, whether I'm over/under on FB, NET on MFP) and I try to keep it around 2000 on active days. I figure that is plenty of calories to keep me going, yet gives me 500-1000 deficit to try and lose at least a pound a week.

I'm 43, 5'5" and currently at 153 (started at 185). I do usually end up with a TDEE around 2800-3000, but I am putting in quite a bit of activity to get there. On the rare day I'm not active, it is around 2000.
  • tiggerlgh
    tiggerlgh Posts: 73 Member
    Options
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I'm only moderately active, but we are around the same height and weight. According to my fitbit over the last few months, my tdee is always around 2000.