WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2013

Options

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,962 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Some thoughts for those of you who are going through a rough patch,

:flowerforyou: Just for today I will try to live through this day only, and not tackle all my problems at once. I can do something for 12 hours that would appall me if I felt that I had to keep it up for a lifetime.

:flowerforyou: Just for today I will be happy. This assumes to be try what Abraham Lincoln said, that "Most folks are as happy as they make up their minds to be."

:flowerforyou: Just for today I will adjust myself to what is, and not try to adjust everything to my own desires. i will take my "luck" as it comes, and fit myself to it.

:heart: Barbie from beautiful chilly NW Washington
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Hi everyone just popping in to say thinking of all who are feeling sad at this time of year for one reason or another. :heart:

:flowerforyou: I feel so lucky to still have both parents (in reasonable health) to spend Christmas with.

Busy trying to think of gifts for the last few people I have to buy for and of course the "secret Santa" at work, that one is always a challenge:bigsmile:

Very cold here at the moment (well for us in the UK :bigsmile: this would probably be mild/warm to some of you! ) I went to get my hair cut yesterday, the hairdresser said I had very strong hair that would only do as it wants. I've been told this a few times, but at least she tried to chop into the thickness and tried to get it into some sort of shape. It looks the same but slightly different if you know what I mean - smarter.

:flowerforyou: Jane congrats on your sons award, you must be proud of him.

Well before it gets too late I want to watch last nights episode of Dr Who - I was patiently waiting for it to start - getting quite involved watching Strictly Come Dancing and I nodded off and missed the beginning of Dr Who :grumble: :noway: I'm always doing that - can't seem to stay awake lately. So now I'm going to watch it on BBC I player.

Happy Sunday - have a good one :heart: :heart:

Viv in cold UK
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,297 Member
    Options
    Viv - I am especially proud of my son as he has done a lot for sportspeople by "coming out" about his depression. Also at work. Too many of us feel it is something shameful, but he has tried to break the taboo a little. As you know 'black dog' was what Churchill called his depression, hence 'blackdogcoach' DGS#1's website.:love:

Joyce- hope the festivities see you feeling a bit happier. We have to let others be who they are. We can only wish them as well as they want to be. Hard, I know to let go of itching to change them.

Heather UK
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,756 Member
    Options
    i lost more weight!!!:bigsmile: finally the scale is moving... i am sorry so many people are going through rough patches..
    sending you love
    it is going to be down in the teens with the wind chill today.. i will try and get to the gym today.going to do some cleaning and hanging out with the puppies..
  • lajpeck
    lajpeck Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Just checking in with everyone and wishing all a healthy and happy Thanksgiving. I lost 2 more lbs this week so I am still on track. Work is really crazy right now as I am in retail and the areas I supervise are toys and electronics so I come home pretty exhausted most days right now. Not much time to read through all the posts and get to know everyone on this thread. Hopefully after Chirstmas I will have some time to connect with people a little bit better.

I am working on Thanksgiving so our Thanksgiving will be on Wednesday. Just me, my spouse and our two four legged fury children. I am thankful that after 30 years together she and I were finally able to be legally married this past March.

Best to all of you and your families.

Laura
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

Jane Martin :smile: Glad you got to meet up with your knitting buddies!

Sylvia :smile: Potholders ripped to shreds:noway: ; Bruno is a busy little puppy:laugh: !!! Hope you find some recipes for low sodium side dishes, have you checked on line?

Grandmallie :smile: When will you be going to Florida? Congrats on the weight dropping:bigsmile: !!!

Sandy in On :smile: Hope you`re feeling better today:flowerforyou: ! I have those rough days too, and don`t really know why:ohwell: , it`s frustrating!

Deb :smile: Congrats on the 1 pound loss!!! It`s supposed to be cold here today too:frown: , high 38 degrees, brrrrr….stay warm!!! Cleaning house is not my strong point either, but neither is cooking:laugh: !!!

Barbie :smile: You always have such good advice! Thank you:flowerforyou: !!!

Katla :smile: I would love to have a fridge with the freezer on the bottom, mine is side by side too, and I don`t have that much room on either side!

Michele :smile: Hope you enjoyed the concert! So Bonnie needed a little fiber in her diet:laugh: , at least she didn`t eat the entire slice!

Susan :smile: A rotting rabbit:noway: ….oh my gosh, I bet that was some smell:sick: ! How cute your puppy curled up on a pot holder, my little Noel did the same thing with a dish towel that fell on the floor just a few weeks ago! Have a wonderful time in NYC!!!

Anamika :smile: No sweets for 14 days…wow…congrats to you:flowerforyou: !!!! Congrats on being down another 0.5kg!!!

Rori :smile: Ouch, take care of yourself:flowerforyou: !!! Hope you enjoyed your night away!

Heather :smile: Those are gorgeous grandchildren:love: !!! Hope you enjoyed your lentil fest!

Meg :smile: Sure hope you get to feeling better:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: !!!!

Pat C :smile: I love homemade veggie soup too!!! Turkeys don`t have to be afraid me, that’s just one thing I can`t eat:sick: , just don`t like the taste of it! Your menu sounds delish:love: !

Sue in SD :smile: Sorry to hear about your granddaughters horse:brokenheart: , that has to be so hard!

Joyce :smile: Sorry your Thanksgiving plans are not turning out as you had hoped!

Viv :smile: I do know what you mean by “the same, but slightly different”. I had a few low lights put in my hair for the winter season and while I can see a huge difference, others haven`t even noticed:tongue: !

It is cold today, 38 degrees for the high:grumble: , so not ready for this:noway: !!! I guess I will go meet the guys for coffee this morning, I`m really not in much of a mood to go out, maybe it will make me feel better to boss them around for a bit:devil: !

Hope everyone has a wonderful day! Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: and log your food!!!

Hugs,
    DeeDee in cold NC
  • grandmallie
    Options
    Dee Dee -we leave on the 14th of december, poor DH will be driving the old car up friday will be home satereday and then 2 weeks after that we leave again.
    it is frigid here today and dont really want to go out,will figure something out if i need too.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,297 Member
    Options
    Deedee- I feel very proud that I did only eat half the lentils. I have half left for lunch today!:drinker: I don't think I could have done it without laying it out on this thread. They are the most delicious Dal Makhani. Really rich with a little spice and loads of butter and cream. I could have eaten it six times over, but managed to stick to half a pot. Thank you ladies!:love: Tonight we are having roasted butternut squash, onion and carrot, with a bit of crumbled feta and prosciutto. :love: All carefully weighed and portioned of course!:tongue:

Managed to ice the Christmas cake with the occasional lick. I won't be esting any, apart from a bite to test it, but DH will have a big slice every afternoon. He has put on a lb or two recently and looks and feels better for it. He lifts my dumbbells every day and is developing muscles again. Sleeping OK now, thank goodness. :heart:

Sue - sorry to hear about the horse. When I was young I was obsessed with horses and still love to look at them. Our house has fields front and back with horses in them so I have been observing them closely for the last three years. I have learnt so much about them! There is one out front that has so much character. He goes to sleep in a really funny way, placing his feet really carefully in the same pattern. I love watching them. Can see them thinking.

I have arranged to go up to see my darling grandchildren on the 5th. Have to get my dose of Grannylove in! I feel so blessed to have them. I feel as if I don't deserve them in some way, they are beyond anything I dreamed of. :love: :love: :bigsmile:

Love to all those who are struggling this time of year. It can be soooo hard. I will be thinking of you all on Thanksgiving. Hope it's a good day for you all.

Laura - congrats on your recent marriage. Happy Thanksgiving to you, your spouse and your furbabies.:drinker: :flowerforyou:

Heather (again) from Hampshire UK
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Barbie: I love the “Just for today” reminders. Good advice in good times and difficult ones, too.:flowerforyou:

Viv in cold UK: Congratulations on a good haircut! I finally found someone who can cut my hair to do what it wants to do and look good at the same time. This man is a barber, but has studied with the best, Vidal Sassoon and Paul Mitchell. He quit working as a hairdresser because he didn’t want to deal with ”product.” Enjoy Dr. Who. I thought it had gone out of production but I'm glad if it is up and running. My son is a lifelong Dr. Who fan, and can probably list the actors who have portrayed Dr. Who from memory.:flowerforyou:

Grandmallie: Congratulations on the loss. Temps in the teens? BRRRRR. I hope you stay warm. You seem to have a good plan.:flowerforyou:

Laura: Congratulations on your marriage. Being able to make your union with your partner official is wonderful. Our country has lots of problems, but some things are moving toward “liberty and justice for all.” Have a good Thanksgiving.:flowerforyou:

Sylvia: Since DH’s stroke we’ve gone low sodium. In most cases I leave it out in cooking and add at the table. He adds salt substitute and I add salt. This has resulted in good things for both of us. His blood pressure is better and I have less water retention. Baked goods are more challenging, but I have gotten away with cutting the salt in half on some things. There are lots of good recipes out on the net. Salt substitute has had bad outcomes in baking the times I’ve tried it. Don’t forget that baking soda has loads of sodium, too. Our experiment with Irish Soda Bread was enlightening and it took a while to figure out why his blood pressure was up and I had swelling. I’d left the salt out, or so I thought.:noway:

DeeDee: Enjoy bossing the boys. Be careful on the road.:flowerforyou:

Wintertime exercise is harder for those of us outside the sunbelt but in the last couple of years we’ve made efforts toward making it easier to get our exercise at home. Our garage hasn’t seen a car in years; :noway: they have to fend for themselves outdoors. We have loads of junk stored in there, unfortunately, but I also have my terratrike on a trainer. Before we got the trikes we had our bikes on trainers. That means we can get out and burn some calories no matter what the weather is doing. I remember people here last year talking about Zumba DVD’s and wii exercises. We like wii bowling but haven’t experimented with other things it offers. I know there are active Mall walking groups around the country, but the nearest mall to us is more than 20 miles away. I’m curious. How do you get in your exercise when the winter weather keeps you inside?

Katla in Beautiful and cold NW Oregon

November goals:
    1. Log every bite
    2. Focus on fitness: cardio and strength every week
    3. Drink 3 or more glasses of water daily
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Good morning!

It is COLD outside here this morning. The first in the teens so far this season. Hubby and dogs are still in bed, but I couldn't sleep. My mind is racing, which it sometimes does, but it never seems to get anywhere.

Laura, huge happy congratulations on getting married! Its too bad that you have to work, but I hope you have a nice thanksgiving even if it is a day early. Tell us more about those fur babies! I'm a crazy dog lover and like cats too even though I can't have one. My older dog would kill a cat and hubby would make frowny faces because he hates cats. The puppy would probably just bark at one and try to play with it. What kind of work do you do?

Meg, I hope your throat feels lots better soon. I wonder if you worked so hard that you got run down and became vulnerable to the creeping crud. Are you getting to take some time away from work to recouperate? Take care.

Joyce, I'm so sorry about your family stress. I understand your brothers pain over his sons issues. My son was on drugs and in and out of jail for over 15 years, but he seems to have turned himself around and has been doing really well since his kids came along. It would probably help your brother to be surrounded by loving family right now, but I can understand his reluctance. Life is so hard.

We didn't try to stay at the lake cabin yesterday like we usually do on weekends. Hubby was worried that I shouldn't be climbing the stairs yet, after just a week, and besides, he has a lot of grading to do. So we stayed home and he didn't do any of it anyway. He spent the day sleeping, watching tv and playing with the dogs. I have been trying to walk a little bit every day, but I'm getting some tightness in my chest after walking. I'm pretty sure it's nothing, but of course I'm a little nervous about it and hubby is blowing it all out of proportion. It's not pain like I had before at all. Just a little tightness. I think maybe it's because I haven't exercised at all in several weeks and I'm just tired. Or maybe I need MORE exercise. Or maybe it's all in my head. I talked to the cardiac nurse in Kansas City on Friday, and she called in a prescription for nitro just in case. I'm starting cardiac rehab on the Monday after thanksgiving, so hopefully that will help my mental state. It did last time. It's reassuring to know that somebody is watching what my heart does while I'm exercising.

I got a letter from our local hospital, responding to my complaint about having being left in the emergency room for over an hour. They lied! They claimed it was only about 20 minutes and that I never told them I thought I might be having a heart attack. They said I only complained about pain in my neck and back. They made up times that I came and left, and said I complained in the middle of it that it was taking too long. That never happened! I explained to the triage nurse that I had recently had a stent and had pain in my neck and arm that were identical to the pain I had before the stent. I TOLD her my fear was I might be having a heart attack! And I never spoke to a soul from the time I checked in till I was gathering up my stuff to leave. And I was watching the clock. I know how long it was. So, in the letter, they graciously agreed to waive the fee for their "services". I am fuming! I know I should just take a deep breath and let it go, I don't need the stress, but I really hate when people lie about me to cover their own butts. So I don't know if I should talk to them again or just let it go. And they wonder why our hospital has such a terrible reputation.

Well, hubby just let Bruno out of the crate, so I'd better go before he makes me lose my post. I hope everybody stays warm and has a great Sunday.

Sylvia
  • grandmallie
    Options
    ok ok so I didnt get to the gym,but I will get some sort of exercise in today I promise,
    I am starving ,but holding off eating anything for a bit, maybe a cup of Christmas tea.. .Have laundry in the wash,and another to do too.
    tried skyping with my DGD today but the video froze up could still talk with them but just frozen picture:grumble:
    have to figure that out...
    it is frigid here too Sylvia:frown:
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,962 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Katla, you asked about exercise when the weather keeps me indoors.......I am fortunate because my dogs like to walk in the cold and rain so I bought lots of warm clothing including boots that will keep my feet warm to -25 degrees and wool hat, scarf, balaclava to keep my head and face warm. Until I hurt my back, I walked my dogs for two hours or more every morning for over two years. Indoors we have a WII sports with bowling, tennis, baseball, also a set of Richard Simmons' "Sweatin' to the Oldies" and some Leslie Sansone walking DVDs......after walking with Leslie for a long time I realized that I could walk without her and do the same stuff she does while watching TV shows that I like. I have yoga DVDs and a strength training routine that I can do with a few different weights of dumbbells and a set of ankle weights. I didn't learn this all at once or acquire all the equipment at once.....it was gradual and I got most of the ideas from reading posts from women on this thread......there are also videos on YouTube for almost any kind of exercise you can think of.

:flowerforyou: Sylvia, we don't let our dogs out by themselves, they are always on a leash. However, last year when Sasha was snuffling in the bushes trying to get the birds to fly out , she managed to catch and kill a baby quail which stunned her and made me very sad.:cry: ........on the other hand, years ago when we had outdoor cats, there were many dead birds, mice, and once a decapitated rabbit left in the house as gifts for us.:laugh: :laugh: ...it took my hubby a long time after getting his first stent to find his way with exercise...everything made him nervous, but the cardiac rehab program helped him find his way and learn what was enough and what was too much.

:bigsmile: :heart: Laura, congrats on your marriage.....what kind of fur babies to you have? many of us on this thread are serious pet lovers.

:flowerforyou: it is 32 degrees here this morning so I bundled up at 6 AM and took the dogs out.......I've just finished my breakfast (thanks for joining me :bigsmile: :bigsmile: ) and will take my shower, get a load of laundry going and take the dogs out again. and watch the sunrise....:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: life is good again today.

:heart: Barbie from beautiful NW Washington
  • lajpeck
    Options
    Sylvia - I am an hourly supervisor at a Walmart Supercenter. So it's the crazy time of the year. We have two dogs, Lucky is our 5 year old miniature pinsher and Mushu is our 7 year old Chi. They are both very spoiled and very loved. Lucky is really my dog and Mushu is Carole's baby.

Thanks to everyone for all your warm wishes on my recent marriage. It really means a lot.

Laura
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,807 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Happy Sunday moring to all of you. Winter has come, high today is maybe 30. Just know it is cold and when I went out this morning at 5:30 to come to work . I was so wishing I could go back and crawl in bed. But that doesn't pay the bills. I am getting really fedup with insurance companys. Mine called and wanted my side of the accident and then asked me why I was out on that street at that time. I said I was doing nothing wrong, just picking up DGD from school. Then his insurance company called me and told me what they were paying for my car. I told them we have been out looking and what they are sending is less then half of what it is going to cost to replace my car. I know it was an older car, but was in very good shape. But nothing I can do. :mad:

Tina--:flowerforyou: Sorry you are having so much stress. I can understand. Remember one day and one step at a time.

Katla--I agree about stainless steele refrigerators and stove. When we replaced our acouple years ago DH thought we should have stainless steele, I hate them as so hard to keep clean and scratch so easy.

Anamike and Laura-:flowerforyou: Congrates on the weight loss.

Meg--Sure hope you are feeling better. Please take time to get better.

Michele- Hope Vince is ok. Sometimes it's easy to hurt yourself and then afterwards no idea how.

Syliva--:angry: That is terrible about the hospitals answer to your visit. I know we have several managers at the hospital where I work that any problem is not their fault. Good comeback. I understand about bruising easy. I get them all over and Jake leaves them on my lets as he thinks whenevery I sit and watch TV he has to be on my lap. Your Bruno sounds alot like my Jake. They can do things to upset us and then they cuddle and all is forgotten. Your DGD is so lucky to have you in her life.

Barbie--:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Thank you the reminder to take things one day and one thing at a time. Live for today.
    I am the same way about books. I may have several at home to read, but if I read one that has more in the story line I go the library and get them to read first. Thank goodness for the library as once I read them I am done and that saves me big bucks. I just got done reading the next Janet Evanovich book, takedown twenty. I got my name on the list first so read that and loved it. The plum stories are so funny.

Heather--:flowerforyou: :laugh: Congrates to DS on his award. Sounds like your visit went well. I know before company comes I drive myself crazy trying yo make everything prefect. Sounds like you have a good deal worked out trading houses for a vaction. I am not sure how I would feel having someone in my house when I am not there or staying in someones else. I admire you as you just get out there and enjoy life. I do have a lady that comes in everyother Tuesday to clean my house. When I first hired her I was having so much back pain and I hate dusting. Over time she has done more things and now she comes and cleans everything. She is alone and needs the money so we keep her and I admit I enjoy not having to clean much. :flowerforyou: cute picture, I agree DGC grow up so fast.

Joyce--your DB sounds like a Blessing. Sorry they are not coming for Thanksgiving. Sometimes we when need family the most is when we find it hard to put ourselves out there. Prayers for DB and DN. Thanks for the reminders of the freedoms we take for granted.

grandmallie:flowerforyou: Hugs know it is not easy when DH is upset. Please remember it is not your fautl. I agree with Sue and when you are gone those people at work will realize just how much you do. love the picture of you and Rita. Sounds like you had a good time. :happy: . thanks for sharing and the picture.. Congrates on the weight loss. Sorry to hear things are not good for DFIL. Does adult protective serves still have a open file on him?

Sue--:sad: Prayers to you and young mans family. Never easy to lose a child. Sorry to hear about DGD horse.

Deb--:sad: Sorry for your loss. I think when it someone we have known along time and about the same age it makes a person think..

Well I had a NSV Friday evening. Our town had their tree lighting at city hall and then activies down main street. DH and I took 3 of the DGC. We walked around and seen everything and had a great time. We were there over 2 hours and I walked and enjoied the whole thing. Last year I didn't go as walking was not happening. But this year no problems. I don't like the idea of Christmas events before Thanksgiving but they didn't ask me. Hope everyone has a safe and nice Thanksgiving. I work that day and when I get off we will be going over to DS for supper. I like that as all I have to do is make some devil eggs.

Blessed! Vicki in cold GI NE
  • jodios528
    jodios528 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Hi all. I've been gone for awhile. Work has me traveling and putting in long hours. I miss reading this thread and keeping up with all of you. :cry: Wishing everyone in the US a happy and healthy Turkey Day. :drinker: I'm making most of the dishes and using a number of Cooking Light recipes so with some portion control I'm hoping the calories stay somewhat in check. My DH, DD, DS and DBIL are all on MFP so we are planning to workout while the Turkey is in the oven and having salad for a light lunch. It helps that most everyone (except for my skinny nephews) are trying to be good!:wink::wink:

Hopefully I'll have more time for this thread in January (I keep saying that though don't I). :grumble: Sending warm thoughts to all…good luck on your healthy journeys!:flowerforyou:

Jodios in very very very cold N. Il:smile::love: :flowerforyou: :smooched: :heart: :bigsmile:
  • grandmallie
    Options
    Jodios~ great to see you xoxox
    well I have been hanging around all morning, feeling like a slug did 2 loads of laundry, dishes, and trying to get table ready for thursday..
    im hooked watching the christmas movies on hallmark channel.. it is so cold and windy I dont want to go outside it is cold cold cold.. maybe later I will do a exercise dvd..
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Laura, my sympathy for having to work at Walmart on thanksgiving! That would be one of my worst nightmares. Do you get fist fights over sale items like they do here at our Walmart? I don't go shopping for several days after, just to avoid the crowds. You have such tiny dogs! My leggy whippet stood next to a chihuahua once and it was pretty funny. She almost didn't understand that it was a dog. Cute names too. Our neighbor dog is a puggle named Lucky.

I'm sorry that I just now noticed how much weight you've lost. That is incredible! How much more do you want to lose? How long did it take? My overall goal is 150, so I'm a little over halfway there, but if I can I might try for a little extra. I really think I can stick with this as long as I have MFP. It's the first time I've been able to lose this much. I sure hope I can keep it off.

Sylvia
  • grandmallie
    Options
    I am so impressed with the weight some of you have lost~ truly amazing... i am a slacker,but am sticking with it,some things just make me hungry, i do make alot smarter choices. not great but a heck of alot better.
    I have been hunting down on craigslist, looking for a kingsize white headboard. cheap.. its hard to find let me tell ya..
  • bluesky248
    bluesky248 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hello All,

New to this thread but not to weight loss. I was reading how many of you walk with your dogs! I do the same, Ryan and I walked early this a.m. and it was a chilly 12 degrees for an hour but we made it. I recently lost my little walking buddy after 15 years and Ryan is trying to fill the void without her.
    I have tried weight watchers and about every other diet out there but I enjoy my fitness pal and glad to have found this thread, we can do it even though we ARE over 50...gads, that used to seem so old when I was young lol.

Have a nice sunday gals!
  • lajpeck
    Options
    Sylvia,

It has taken me 14 months to loose the 153 lbs. I still want to loose about 40 more to get to my goal. This is the first time in my adult life that I have been this weight so it is pretty amazing for me. I know that finding MFP has been the best thing in the world for me and can finally see myself sustaining a weight loss like this.

I have been with Walmart for ten years so I am pretty used to the craziness that is Black Friday and Christmas. Never been in a store where any fights broke out and most of my years have been spent in the craziest areas of all, toys and electronics. Guess I have just been lucky.

Yeah, the are both small dogs, but the min pin thinks he can take on anything. LOL!

Laura