Natural/Herbal Weight loss remedies

Options
I'm interested in learning about natural alternatives to weight loss supplements, and if anyone has any success with such things. In the past I had taken Hydroxy cut to aid in weight loss and found great results, however I have recently taken up a diet of organic and natural foods and herbal home remedies to reduce the amount of chemicals I ingest.

I have used acai and green tea extract but had not so pleasing side effects. I'm currently drinking chamomile as a metabolism booster, I'm curious about green coffee extract and hoodia if anyone has had previous experience with those, or if anyone has anything else to add please let me know. Thanks in advance! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    My natural alternative to weight loss supplements has been a reasonable calorie deficit. :tongue: As for herbal remedies, I like cooking with fresh herbs as they make meats and veggies taste delicious!

But seriously - there is no quick fix or "booster" that works wonders or we'd all be taking it and no one would have a weight problem.

MFP is a fabulous free tool - enter your info and goals accurately and realistically to get your daily goal, which already has a daily deficit figured in for you. Then eat your calories, and if you exercise, log that as accurately as possible (a good heart rate monitor helps with a good calorie burn estimate) and eat back those exercise cals so you're not creating too large a deficit - brin those NET cals up to goal. Drink water, take rest days, get good sleep. And have patience. It's worth doing it right, learning the healthy habits that you can stick with for life and keeping the weight off.

Good luck!
  • misskaela206
    Options
    Already got that part taken care of, thank you though.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Are you following a full-body strength training program, using heavy weights? Those who do generally have a metabolism that's through the roof.
  • vvvalentines
    Options
    I stay away from any strong stimulants--ephedra is a natural herbal weight-loss remedy that worked great, and also killed people and was banned for that reason.

However, there are some herbs I like to use to make infusions (herbal teas) that help me achieve my other goals (caloric restriction and exercise.)

Hibiscus tea, brewed from plain dried hibiscus sepals, is a deep pink, fruity-tart drink that may help lower blood pressure over time. Green tea, hawthorn, and ginger also may be helpful if high blood pressure is an issue for you.

Ginger calms an upset stomach (something I get when my body is mad that I'm not eating as much as I used to.)

Licorice root tea is a very mild laxative, useful if you get "stopped up" from too much fiber or any change in diet. It is also relaxing, and helps me personally recover from stressful situations and anxiety.

If you're on any medications, it's important to check if there are any interactions with herbs (for example, licorice root may increase the activity of steroids.)
  • mamacoates
    mamacoates Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in learning about natural alternatives to weight loss supplements, and if anyone has any success with such things. In the past I had taken Hydroxy cut to aid in weight loss and found great results, however I have recently taken up a diet of organic and natural foods and herbal home remedies to reduce the amount of chemicals I ingest.

I have used acai and green tea extract but had not so pleasing side effects. I'm currently drinking chamomile as a metabolism booster, I'm curious about green coffee extract and hoodia if anyone has had previous experience with those, or if anyone has anything else to add please let me know. Thanks in advance! :flowerforyou:

I've tried all the things you mentioned, and others, at one time or another. They did nothing but make me jittery. I can drink coffe for that ... and at a much lower cost. The best metabolism booster I have found is exercise ... High intensity cardio and strength training. Those are the "Magic elixirs". Best wishes!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    There are no natural herbs that aid in weight loss. The only thing that helps in weight loss is eating less calories than you burn.

Herbs are good for cooking, though, and tea is wonderful tasting.
  • googlebear123
    Options
    Natural/Herbal Weight loss remedies dont work end of. they will give you a boost though as most have extraordinary ammounts of caffiene in.