Today I Saw My Body for the First Time

Options
...and I kind of want to die. Not literally die but maybe start over? I know I'm obese, but, I took a video of myself today walking around and doing things in the kitchen out of curiosity and I had NO idea I am as big as I am. I'm on verge of cutting out food altogether, dropping my calorie goal to 800, and ordering another bottle of Hydroxycut. I just want to drop forty lbs so I can look at myself and then start trying to be healthy. I'm so embarrassed. I've /flirted/ with guys while looking like this. I'm just... this is something I could have gone a long time without noticing.

This isn't even a question I guess this is just the most anonymous place I can vent.

Replies

• dswolverine
    dswolverine Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    That's certainly a lousy feeling- one I know all too well. I have a photo of myself from a family friend's wedding that I keep in my desk drawer as "motivation". I look SOOOOOOO fat in the picture and I look at it once or twice a day as a reminder of why I'm here and trying to lose weight. Don't worry- you're certainly not alone in this experience. Just use it as a tool rather than as a reason to get down on yourself
  • gurse
    gurse Posts: 9
    Options
    slow and steady wins the race, don't try to speed up your weight loss to the point were you starve your body. 800 calories is not enough. to keep your body running. Just keep short term goals and take on them one at a time. you WILL see results
  • BritneyGross
    Options
    Don't drop your calories that low! I promise you can lose weight while staying above 1600 a day, eating healthy meals and exercising regularly. It just takes time!! Also I love your Supernatural weight tracker thingy! :D
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    ...and I kind of want to die. Not literally die but maybe start over? I know I'm obese, but, I took a video of myself today walking around and doing things in the kitchen out of curiosity and I had NO idea I am as big as I am. I'm on verge of cutting out food altogether, dropping my calorie goal to 800, and ordering another bottle of Hydroxycut. I just want to drop forty lbs so I can look at myself and then start trying to be healthy. I'm so embarrassed. I've /flirted/ with guys while looking like this. I'm just... this is something I could have gone a long time without noticing.

This isn't even a question I guess this is just the most anonymous place I can vent.

don't go to the extremes. It sounds like you are having the kind of moment that I had at the beginning of my journey. Mine was a friend posting a pic from her daughter's birthday party, and I was in the background looking like jabba the hut. I kept the shirt I was wearing in that pic, and I put it on monthly and take a picture.

the picure on the left was my life changing moment, and the picture on the right is just a few months ago
    10067067346_a131833b47.jpg
    Untitled by crochetmom2010, on Flickr

as for guys, the right one won't *see* your physique, he'll just see what is inside. When I first started at the gym, 85+lbs overweight, the super hot trainer took notice of me. I still don't understand what Justin saw in me, but over about 18 months we became SUPER tight. He has been my biggest cheerleader, even bigger than my husband!
  • Also I love your Supernatural weight tracker thingy! :D

:)
  • bestin14
    bestin14 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I agree with some of the other posts. Don't lower your calories so low. You are a beautiful girl and you have already been successful with your 10 lb. loss. Keep up the good work. I'm a grandmother and I have been losing with MFP so if I can do it I know you will continue to do well.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Diet pills and starvation diets will not help you. Eating a good and logical amount of calories, eating in a deficit and moving more will.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    hahahahano_zpsd459f773.gif

No, No, No ....... do not starve yourself or eat the Hydroxicut :laugh:

You're a beautiful girl and I'll bet plenty smart, too ...... make healthy choices at each meal & move more each day ......

Congrats on your weight loss ........ keep on truckin' !
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    I had this moment too, OP. between that moment and now is 75 lbs gone. good luck, and please don't set yourself up to fail.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • AmandaJCole13
    Options
    I feel for you.

I remember a couple years back thinking I looked fine...until I saw some impromptu pictures at a family get-together. I guess all you can do is accept it, and don't be extreme or self-destructive. Its an awesome motivator...I lost 50 pounds after my wake up call. Don't forget, you will also perceive yourself much differently than others will...I guess if you saw yourself face-to-face as another person, you wouldn't recognize yourself...least that's what they say. :)

Basically, keep your chin up. You're worth so much more than dropping your intake to extremes. All great things take time. Good luck to you.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Love your ticker!

But you can easily lose with 1600 calories or more. You don't have to starve yourself to lose weight... Keep that in mind. It will be even worse if you destroy your metabolism and can't eat anything without gaining weight in one year, or if you starve all the time and give up.
  • AmandaJCole13
    Options
    Oh, and to add to what I said before, you are SUPER pretty!
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I know that feeling as well. Almost a year ago, I saw the worst picture of me to ever exist, and that was my starting point.

But the best advice I can give you is to do your best to love yourself. Don't wait until you reach your goals to treat yourself with kindness - you are beautiful now, and you will be beautiful when you reach your goals, whatever they may be. Having a good relationship with yourself is an important part of being healthy, and if you love yourself, everything is that much easier.

Consider setting strength/fitness goals for yourself along with weight goals so that you focus on fueling and building a more capable body. And as others have said, don't rush it. It's hard to be patient, but slow and steady is the way to go. You don't have to do anything drastic. Give your body the fuel and nutrition it needs, work on becoming more active, and eat in a way that you enjoy and can sustain long term. You will be successful. :smile:

Feel free to add me if you like.
  • acm130
    acm130 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    We have all had that moment and it is discouraging and I can definitely understand the urge you described. When I joined a couple years ago all I wanted to focus on was "how fast can I lose weight to get to #x." I didn't have success until I started focusing on fitness goals and a moderate calorie deficit (instead of a severe deficit). My mantra was "the only way you fail is if you give up." Picture yourself 6 mos to a year from now, you'll get there. Your lifestyle, your habits changed slowly to get to where you are now and you have to do the same thing to reverse it. I didn't gain 30 lbs in 3 mos and it wasn't realistic or sustainable to try and lose it in that time. Be accountable, be consistent, be kind to yourself and committed to learning and challenging yourself there is no way you won't be successful. Good luck!:smile:
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I didn't have success until I started focusing on fitness goals and a moderate calorie deficit (instead of a severe deficit). My mantra was "the only way you fail is if you give up." Picture yourself 6 mos to a year from now, you'll get there. Your lifestyle, your habits changed slowly to get to where you are now and you have to do the same thing to reverse it. I didn't gain 30 lbs in 3 mos and it wasn't realistic or sustainable to try and lose it in that time.

Also really good advice!
    A lot of people like to say they "fell off the wagon", but I tell myself: "There is no wagon!" Some days are good, some days are bad. There is no failure unless you make the choice to give up on yourself. You just have to keep going, and a year from now, you'll be glad that you did.
  • Julene64
    Julene64 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I've done the 800-calorie-a-day diets and lost 40-50 lbs in 3-4 months... then gained it all right back and then some. You don't need another diet. You need a new way of life. Diets are temporary and when they are over so are the benefits. Unless you are willing to change your life and not just your weight, especially using a crash diet, the weight will come back on. Guaranteed. I've done this enough times to know. This is the last time for me because I've finally changed how I want to live, not just how I want to look. Good luck!! I know you can do it and you are worth the time it will take to get you to your goal. Just be willing to take your time and to do this for reasons that will create permanent change, not a quick fix. You won't regret it. :smile:

6446523.png
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I took a picture of myself when I first started losing weight/eating healthier. I cried. I was mortified, shocked and disgusted.

This is good motivation. Now, save that video and look at it as a "before" video. :D I used to hate being caught in pictures, but now whenever someone pulls out a camera - I think to myself "I want a copy of that picture for my "before" pics".
  • Ltlmis
    Ltlmis Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Please consider losing your weight as gently as possible. This is something my therapist and I have been discussing recently -- well, that and the notion of getting excited to treat my body well and meet my weight loss goals. I get your temptation to slash kcals and turn to supplements to get it over with as fast as possible, but like others and myself on here, you may find yourself in an even worse situation six months or a year from now. I have been mean enough to my body, and I'm just now trying to treat it like the reliable friend it is, instead of a thing to turn away in disgust from.
    Also, have you considered you probably have a nice face and a great personality if guys were flirting back with you? ;)
  • xoeva
    xoeva Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Vent all you want...this is what this is for. And now that you've seen yourself you can start losing weight in a healthy way. 880 will not work. Figure out what you need and slow and steady wins the race. It probably didn't take you 1 week to gain the unwanted wait, so it isn't going to take you 1 week to lose it. Slooooowly. then it will stay off! We all have our own personal 'rock bottoms' and this one is yours...so now look up and make healthy choices. Sorry, I don't mean to be so preachy, but this is probably something I'm telling myself or would have liked someone to tell me on my 'rock bottom' day 3 months ago.

:smile:
  • Slrajr
    Slrajr Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I like the responses here. I just wanted to say good for you for flirting,and I bet you made their day when you did. Everyone likes to feel appreciated and liked. Plus there are thousands of men and women out out there who are attracted to you right now just the way you are:)