Meaningless Cravings? Or a sign?

Options
I'm 5'0, 95 pounds and 21 years old. I've been bulimic for half of my life, but I'm currently in recovery. Yay! :) I have been getting cravings, not for sweets and junk, but for stuff like turkey and certain fruits and eggs. Is that my body just adjusting to getting proper nutrience or are the cravings nothing to listen to? Thank you for the feedback! :)

Replies

• JennyThompson180
    JennyThompson180 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I suppose there is the option to go to the doctor or straight to the lab and check for deficiencies.

But turkey, fruit and eggs are all reasonable things to eat. If you were craving candy corn, then I'd be prone to waving that off. Since you are craving real food, I would personally be apt to encourage you to eat those things specifically.

I know when I was pregnant, I constantly felt compelled to eat eggs. Two for nearly every breakfast, two for lunch, and if not, then two for dinner! Later on, I found out I was low in iron. Eggs were nearly the only protein I was eating at the time (very close to vegetarian plus being poor). So I think that it's worth listening to your body on those things.
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    I was once told that if you are craving food you are hungry, if you are craving junk that's another story. I am not saying that this is true but for myself I know when I am craving food, Brussel sprouts or roasted vegetables, I am hungry as opposed to when I want something like ice cream, candy or a hot pastrami sandwich!
  • uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Those are the kinds of cravings that I think you'll want to indulge in. Seems like your body is in need of protein. Since you say you were bulimic before (congrats on being in recovery, that is great!) you probably weren't getting enough protein. Now that you're beginning to get on a regular eating regiment, your brain is telling you that it needs protein to grow. Give it that protein! :)