Disappointment for shrinking Jews everywhere

Options
2»

Replies

• MrsFowler1069
    MrsFowler1069 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Thanksgivingukkah

Ever had one of those McDonald's "hash browns?" Now imagine one cooked by God, served in Heaven, with sour cream and applesauce on the side. That's a latke.

Quoted for no reason other than that I enjoyed quoting them.
  • zornig
    zornig Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Mmmm...are you a sour cream or applesauce (or both) kind of girl?

Both! Duh... :)
  • Celeigh12
    Celeigh12 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Latkes are one of the more delicious foods on earth! Enjoy them!
  • tanyatabone9
    tanyatabone9 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Just picking up on the point that they come 'but once a year'. And - you cook them yourself. There are so many foods around that are 'heavenly' but available, conveniently, all year around. I have a maltese background and pastry filled with ricotta is essentially a staple in our house. Ready made (by friends) and sitting in the freezer, 20 minutes later and you have the most amazing meal. I logged it once (after eating two) and was completely blown away by the fact that I had used up over half of my calories for the day! So, the point of the story is, that is what end of year celebrations are for. So eat, enjoy, and be merry, and maybe limit to one at a time. But leave the serving of guilt for something less integral to the spirit of Chanukah
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    latka_480_poster.jpg
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    This made me homesick. Guess I should go make some myself.
  • chatondoux
    Options
    It's really baffling to me how much, and happily sometimes how little, calories and sodium are in foods I used to eat all the time without even thinking twice. Really eye opening :( I've never had a latke before what are they like?

Ever had one of those McDonald's "hash browns?" Now imagine one cooked by God, served in Heaven, with sour cream and applesauce on the side. That's a latke.

LOL That is a totally awesome description, and now I shall run off to pinterest because man that sounds delicious :D
  • MrsFowler1069
    MrsFowler1069 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    latka_480_poster.jpg

:heart: :laugh:
  • LunaInverse
    LunaInverse Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    As a fellow Jew, I feel your pain. I adore Latke's....why do they have to be so bad!
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I hear ya.

Thankfully, i detest Sufganiyot (those big jelly donuts they sell in israel), though in the past few years they are making them with yummy vanilla/pistacho/chocolate cream fillings...

But latkes, oy. what a joy. the simplest of ingredients - grated potatoes, grated onions, eggs, salt and pepper - hard to believe that they turn into those bundles of perfection.

I usually bake mine, or make one giant latke in a very lightly greased teflon frying pan (then cut up like a pizza) - medium heat and cook till it gets nice and crispy then flip, but let's face it - the basic ingredients aren't low cal.
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    This is why I log everything before I eat... Also, try making it with nonfat plain Greek yogurt instead of sour cream and use unsweetened applesauce :)
  • chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    Ugh! I don't even want to think about all that food!! I'll make soups to go with the traditional foods. Planning on zucchini latkes, low carb blintzes, popcorn, homemade ice cream, low carb brownies. My husband will probably make doughnuts but I'll just nibble at the doughnut holes (they're free, right?!). Surely there is a diet-friendly solution to doughnuts (other than not eating them!) Maybe low carb low cal muffins? Gotta google for some ideas!
  • LittleSister
    LittleSister Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I usually bake mine, or make one giant latke in a very lightly greased teflon frying pan (then cut up like a pizza)

That's an idea! Kind of cuts down on those edges, which seem to collect a lot of the grease.

Of course, I'd look at it and say "Hmmm, one latke, don't mind if I do" and eat the whole thing!
  • LittleSister
    Options
    This is why I log everything before I eat... Also, try making it with nonfat plain Greek yogurt instead of sour cream and use unsweetened applesauce :)

I did log everything before I ate. I just added to it, that's all - *lol!*

And I didn't use any sour cream at all or applesauce. Just straight up latke-liciousness!
  • LittleSister
    Options
    Ugh! I don't even want to think about all that food!! I'll make soups to go with the traditional foods. Planning on zucchini latkes, low carb blintzes, popcorn, homemade ice cream, low carb brownies. My husband will probably make doughnuts but I'll just nibble at the doughnut holes (they're free, right?!). Surely there is a diet-friendly solution to doughnuts (other than not eating them!) Maybe low carb low cal muffins? Gotta google for some ideas!

Zucchini latkes! Must google that!

Fortunately we don't do the doughnuts at our house, or I'd just have to give up entirely! :-)
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I usually bake mine, or make one giant latke in a very lightly greased teflon frying pan (then cut up like a pizza)

That's an idea! Kind of cuts down on those edges, which seem to collect a lot of the grease.

Of course, I'd look at it and say "Hmmm, one latke, don't mind if I do" and eat the whole thing!
    Or do what I do "oh, this? It's not a whole piece, just a sliver, doesn't count..."
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    in just because latkes are little golden brown angelic delights