Calorie and Food Obsessed

Does anyone else worry that they might become overly obsessed about food and calories? I am attempting to make a lifestyle change but for me that also means committing to the idea that no food becomes "off limits" for the rest of my life. I want chocolate cake on my birthday and to eat out without anxiety on my anniversary. Does anyone else face fears about becoming overly obsessed with food and calories? Do you combat those anxieties in any specific way?

Replies

• I felt like this all of this and week. I guess my mind bothers me when i am about to eat junk knowing that i'll eat it then be hungry really soon afterwards compared to when i eat healthy i stay full. However, if i feel for a junk food i'll eat it BUT i don't go over 500 calories. I know it still sounds calorie obsessed but at least you're eating what you want knowing that you eat healthy the majority of the time. For birthdays and special occasions if you want you can take that day as your cheat day n eat clean for the rest of the week. I hope this helps.
  • ailixia
    ailixia Posts: 23 Member
    bump
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Calorie counting leads to a lot of disordered thinking for many people. I'm not sure what one would do about it...it seems those people are prone to disordered thinking to begin with and tend to already have some negative relationships with food, etc...so I guess you'd really have to get to the root of the issue.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    I started to, but then for our anniversary my wife and I went shopping and to a movie and spent the day downtown. Cheesecake factory for lunch, candy and popcorn at the movie, a steakhouse for dinner. That day I blew my calorie goal by more than 5K, it didn't kill me, and I lost weight the next week. Now, I pretty much ignore Sunday, and probably go over by anywhere from a few hundred to 1K. I don't stress it anymore because I'm in control of what I eat, not the other way around.

Rigger