Donating Blood

Options
I am planning on donating blood tomorrow. How long should I wait to weigh in order to make sure that I am not seeing weight loss that is solely the result of my donation?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,071 Member
    Options
    Wow! Congratulations on your major Success with weight loss.

Do you think m a y b e you could start to cut yourself a little slack with weigh-ins? It's not likely to be any long-term big loss - I think they say it amounts to something like 200-300 calories type of change. Shouldn't affect your weight.
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I've heard that it can "maybe" tip the scales by 1-2lbs, but to be honest it may not even affect it. American Red Cross states

*The plasma from your donation is replaced within about 24 hours. Red cells need about four to six weeks for complete replacement. That’s why at least eight weeks are required between whole blood donations.

I know you probably won't but don't work out that day, & make sure you have something to eat after.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,071 Member
    Options
    ...I guess other than the obvious 2 pints which is theoretically two pounds - but they'll have you drink some juice and eat a cookie, right? Plus you will have had a lot to drink beforehand.

Should be a wash..

• sami_83
    sami_83 Posts: 161
    Options
    Perhaps make a note of your donation on your diary, then just weigh in on your usual day and log it regardless. You won't know if it'll have an impact until way down the track anyway, when you've had a couple more weigh ins and you can suss it out. I weighed in on a Friday after my donation on a Monday and I don't think it made any difference really.
    Take the long view :smile:
  • JayStu
    JayStu Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Why not weigh in before giving blood?

As already stated, do not workout afterwards, I tried to go running after mine one time and nearly passed out while running.
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    I donated today... No change at all...
  • wonderiss
    wonderiss Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I will weigh first thing in the morning, like I do every morning. I wasn't planning on working out tomorrow after donating. I will take my own snack with me so I know how many calories I have had for the day. I like to weigh every morning. Just don't want to weigh the morning after donating and see a loss that is purely the result of the donation. Thanks for all the information and feedback so far!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I'm a daily weigher as well, but have never noticed any significant difference the day after a donation. I usually enjoy the goodies they have for us at the donation site, and eat and drink well for the rest of the day. :smile: