Petite & confused!

Options
I’m 22 years old, 5’2 and 140lbs. I gained weight with depression and before that, I was about 115 and was happy at that weight and size. I’m pretty small boned, and 140 lbs looks a lot on my small frame. Lots of excess fat around the stomach, butt, and thigh area, and I would like to reduce it.

MFP put me at 1200 calories and I feel a bit uncomfortable with that. I’ve tried low calorie diets in the past and I just gained the weight back when I moved my calories up. However, I’ve been trying 1500 with no exercise and I’m not losing anything at all. I’m just maintaining. I don’t want to drop as low as 1200 because it was too hard and made me cranky.

Any suggestions at how I can reduce my body fat % at a steady rate? In a sustainable way? Thank you! ☺

Replies

• lyoill
    lyoill Posts: 59
    Options
    bump
  • wilmaln
    wilmaln Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    If you are maintaining at 1500 calories, anything less than that will make you loose. The bigger the deficit, the faster the loss. Why don't you start with 1400 calories and see where that brings you?

In any case, try and get some exercise done. I'm not talking of heavy duty things, but just a little bit of movement (a walk? If you have to go places by car or public transport, find a way of walking a little more. Pak further away, or walk to the next stop. This will help "wake up" your metabolism).

Good luck on your new weight loss trip!
  • copselily
    Options
    If you are maintaining at 1500 calories, anything less than that will make you loose. The bigger the deficit, the faster the loss. Why don't you start with 1400 calories and see where that brings you?

In any case, try and get some exercise done. I'm not talking of heavy duty things, but just a little bit of movement (a walk? If you have to go places by car or public transport, find a way of walking a little more. Pak further away, or walk to the next stop. This will help "wake up" your metabolism).

Good luck on your new weight loss trip!

I've tried 1400 too, I seem to maintain on that also. I'm finding it very difficult to lose weight and I've been trying for about two years now...
  • samammay
    samammay Posts: 468
    Options
    I would suggest adding some exercise. It has 2 benefits... first, you get to eat more and still lose weight. Second, you will FEEL a lot better.

You dont have to get into super-exercise mode... maybe half an hour a day, 2 or 3 days a week to start. Its not much, but it makes a difference.

Have you calculated your TDEE?
  • FredSetToGetFit
    FredSetToGetFit Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    If you can't eat less than 1500, just ad some cardio to make up the deficit you need?
  • mrsamanda86
    mrsamanda86 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Exercise!
    I'm only 4'11 and eat about 16-1800 on days that I work out and have lost on average between 5-8 pounds a month since July.
  • copselily
    Options
    I would suggest adding some exercise. It has 2 benefits... first, you get to eat more and still lose weight. Second, you will FEEL a lot better.

You dont have to get into super-exercise mode... maybe half an hour a day, 2 or 3 days a week to start. Its not much, but it makes a difference.

No I haven't... I'm not sure how to calculate the TDEE

I agree that I do need to start exercising, even though I don't like it and put it off... When I was exercising, I did notice a difference in my waist measurements but unfortunately I gained the weight back :smile:
  • copselily
    Options
    Exercise!
    I'm only 4'11 and eat about 16-1800 on days that I work out and have lost on average between 5-8 pounds a month since July.

That's amazing!!! Congrats! :noway:
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    The above advice is perfect.

I am 5'1" if I stand up really tall. After having kids I was not the size and shape I wanted to be, about 140 lbs as well. Which also looked thick, frumpy and a bit chubby. When I first began, I started hitting the gym. I could only get about 30 minutes of exercise in. What I started doing with my food intake was to watch my portions. At the time Jimmy Johns was my favorite. I would get the same sandwich, but would cut it in half and wrap up the second half. If I ate the first half I had to wait 20 mins before I could eat the 2nd half. I seldom needed the 2nd half until the next meal. I did silly things like making a normal plate but making a deal with myself to leave at least one bite of my serving on my plate at the end of the meal. I dropped the bulk of my 25 lbs just by doing that. The rest of my dedication to diet and fitness came after I was about the size I wanted to be.
  • shadowkitty22
    shadowkitty22 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Strength train. It'll help to build your muscles to make you burn more calories while you do your everyday things like sleeping, moving and breathing. It'll also help you to burn through the fat and create an appealing body shape without getting super bulky.
  • FHelenD
    FHelenD Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hey! I'm also 5'2 and started a few weeks ago at 145lb (now 136lb). I'm 23. Feel free to add me!
    I usually manage 1100-1500 calories per day, and do a lot of exercise when i can :) It's a pretty steady weight loss so far (9lb in 6 weeks) but i'm fine with that! And i've had plenty of 'days off' too :)
  • drop_it_like_a_squat
    Options
    I can totally relate. I'm 22 and 5'2 aswell, I sit on my bum at work all day and my TDEE is around 1,650-1,850, depending on how active I am.

It is possible to lose the weight without exercise. I wouldn't recomment it though because your body will lose a fair amount of muscle aswell as fat. Strength training and eating enough protein will help you minimize muscle loss while eating under maintenance. Cardio will help you burn some calories so you can eat more.

Anyhow, you said you maintained with 1,400 cals aswell as with 1,500. Have you been consistent with any calorie goal so far?
  • copselily
    Options
    I can totally relate. I'm 22 and 5'2 aswell, I sit on my bum at work all day and my TDEE is around 1,650-1,850, depending on how active I am.

It is possible to lose the weight without exercise. I wouldn't recomment it though because your body will lose a fair amount of muscle aswell as fat. Strength training and eating enough protein will help you minimize muscle loss while eating under maintenance. Cardio will help you burn some calories so you can eat more.

Anyhow, you said you maintained with 1,400 cals aswell as with 1,500. Have you been consistent with any calorie goal so far?

Not really! I tried 1,200 and I got down to 134lbs within about 4 weeks. Then I fell off the wagon and gained it all back, to 140lbs again. But I gained it back within about 2 weeks and the idea of it coming back so fast as scary, so I tried around 1400-1500 with the intention to exercise and not eat the calories back, but I never bothered with the workouts so now I'm just maintaining at this number of cals and I'm still an unhappy 140lbs. :smile:

I think I need to get up off my *kitten*.
  • erialcelyob
    erialcelyob Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Hmm not too sure, I've struggled for a long time trying to lose weight but this year I used MFP and was told to have 1200 a day and I've dropped 24lbs since. I'm 5"5 and now 139lbs
  • copselily
    Options
    Hmm not too sure, I've struggled for a long time trying to lose weight but this year I used MFP and was told to have 1200 a day and I've dropped 24lbs since. I'm 5"5 and now 139lbs

1200 does work, I lost weight on it too :smile: It just didn't agree with me when I went back to eating normal calories...
  • Mahihkan
    Mahihkan Posts: 162
    Options
    I’m 22 years old, 5’2 and 140lbs. I gained weight with depression and before that, I was about 115 and was happy at that weight and size. I’m pretty small boned, and 140 lbs looks a lot on my small frame. Lots of excess fat around the stomach, butt, and thigh area, and I would like to reduce it.

MFP put me at 1200 calories and I feel a bit uncomfortable with that. I’ve tried low calorie diets in the past and I just gained the weight back when I moved my calories up. However, I’ve been trying 1500 with no exercise and I’m not losing anything at all. I’m just maintaining. I don’t want to drop as low as 1200 because it was too hard and made me cranky.

Any suggestions at how I can reduce my body fat % at a steady rate? In a sustainable way? Thank you! ☺

I'll say this without having a F of what others will say and think:

I began my journey here at 1200 Calories during summer 2012. Within the next summer, I have manage to lose 30 pounds (With cheat days and walking). Tired of counting, my guess is I have been around 2000 calories from summer 2013 to maybe a month ago or so.. My weight stayed the same.
    The 1200 cal might work for some, might not for others. It worked for me. Not only to lose weight, but to make different choices when it comes to food. While I wasn't counting, I continued with lots of veggies, low fat low sugar products and so on.

It wont work it you go from 1200 to 3000 when you reach you goal, unless you are super active.

Bottom line, you go with what works for YOU, not for others.
    Yes, at the end, the basic is all the same. So if I had one advice to give you, is make better choices for food, and stay with it for the rest of your life. And get active once in a while!
  • FitterBody
    FitterBody Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    A good place to start if you are not even sure what TDEE is would be to READ THIS:-

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • samammay
    Options

1200 does work, I lost weight on it too :smile: It just didn't agree with me when I went back to eating normal calories...

Keep in mind, probably 5 pounds of that is water weight.
  • samammay
    Options

No I haven't... I'm not sure how to calculate the TDEE

I agree that I do need to start exercising, even though I don't like it and put it off... When I was exercising, I did notice a difference in my waist measurements but unfortunately I gained the weight back :smile:

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    You are focussing on scales only.

Take pics and measurements.

Start exercising. (combo of resistance training and cardio)

???

Profit