2000 Cal a day for weight loss?

Options
I'm looking for some opinions. I am starting Shaun T's Rockin' Body program today and the recommended calorie intake for my weight group (200lb +) is 2000 calories. I can't get my head around eating that many calories per day on a weight loss plan. My current weight is (embarrassed flush) 296. Anyone have experience with that daily intake?, this or another beach body program? Thanks in advance for your insight.

Replies

• samammay
    samammay Posts: 468
    Options
    I am 6', 223 lbs male and my daily caloric intake is 2600 for a 1lb/week loss.

It takes a lot of energy to move us larger folk...
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    The program is probably taking the exercise calories into account. It does sound reasonable if you are doing the exercises as the program recommends. I eat about 1650 + exercise calories because I am not always good with following my exercise schedules.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I'm just under 185lbs but started on 245 and my daily intake then was around 1750 and when you then add on exercise calories and I would end up over 2000 a day so it does seem plausible.

Also remember your body is like a car and does need a certain amount of fuel to function and knowing Shaun T workouts you will burn loads.
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    For your size 2000 calories is very reasonable. Moving around at that size takes a tremendous amount of effort, no offense. Of course you will probably drop that weight really quickly, and as you decrease in size you will have to decrease your intake.

Try calculating your TDEE for a more accurate measurement of how much you should be eating.
  • StarlaDesiree
    StarlaDesiree Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    The P90X program is similar. It basically wants to make sure you're eating enough so you have the energy to get through the workouts. Sometimes when you cut too many calories, you can end up screwing your metabolism up instead, and reach a stall. My suggestion would be to eat 2000 calories each day when you work out, maybe eat a little less when you have a rest day, and after a couple weeks, reassess how it's working for you, and make adjustments if necessary.
  • sarrah_n
    sarrah_n Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    That sounds about right. The nutruion plans that come from Beach Body do not account for eating back you exercise calories. So if you are set at 2000 cal and burn 400, you are netting only 1600-> reasonable. When I started following the Insanity nuturion plan I was set at 2050 calories and I only weight 150 lbs. I starting consistant losing about 2 lbs per month (I only had 10 lbs to lose total). I havent stuck to it strickly but I have tried to keep my macros pretty close.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    2000 calories is quite reasonable. You just have to realize you don't need to starve to lose weight. The key is a moderate deficit not a mammoth one. Based on your weight and the activity that the Shawn T workouts I have done include, 2000 is not unreasonable. Just realize that includes your intended exercise unlike MFP which would not.
  • CorlissaEats
    CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Yes. I am 203lbs currently and I have got myself up to working out 5-6 days a week. My TDEE is estimated around 2600 per day right now. I eat in the 1800-2100 range depending on my activity level for the day. Some days it takes work, but nuts, avocado, and other calorie dense foods can be your friend. I dont want my deficit too high and I want to support my muscle development and tone. I easily fall into the eat more to lose more category.
  • lilred806
    lilred806 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Try it for a week or two and see what happens. I had my mom try dropping to just 2000 calories for a couple of weeks and she lost weight. She wasn't exercising like crazy either. She was nervous because she thought she needed to be much lower to lose weight. Enjoy eating 2000 calories while you can do it and lose. When you lose a bunch you will probably need to drop a bit more.
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    This actually sounds a little on the low side to me, as a 296lb 44 year old woman your BMR is typically around 2000 calories depending on your height :flowerforyou:
  • pittsjg
    pittsjg Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Crazy thing is the $$$ dvd set doesn't explain this, the nutritional basics of calories in and out plus exercise. Many in the fitness industry set a exercise routine or gimmick (some of which are absurd like ab lounge or diet pills), then set a calorie deficit, and leave users to awe in its magic... but never truly learn anything

I'm not saying beachbody does or doesn't work, or anything bad about it, because I don't know. I've never done it. I do find it a little disappointing though that this basic equation of calorie in vs calorie out, the how and why a program like this works, is not explained.

Knowledge is power after all, right?

Happy thanksgiving all
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    2000 seems super low, you're almost guaranteed to drop a lot of muscle with that low of a caloric intake too.

Check out the Free Dieting Calculator, plug in your info, and go from there. I've found it the be the most accurate calculator out there for multiple people. I'm not saying it's 100% proof, but, it will give you a great starting point.

Honestly, DVD's are a waste of time as well. Just get into a gym, throw some heavy as weight around and watch lbs. shed off and muscles develop and show.
  • pittsjg
    pittsjg Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    yeah, I tend to agree with you marty. My biggest challenge to dvds is not that they can't give you a workout (obviously not comparable to what you can do as far as building muscle with a weights), but seriously, how long to you expect to use your living room as a gym, and how long before it begins to smell like one?

Some people have an exercise room dedicated, but some have never even considered this. This fitness stuff is for life...
  • cklroberson
    cklroberson Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your insights. I appreciate your comments.
  • prettyface55
    prettyface55 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    yeah, I tend to agree with you marty. My biggest challenge to dvds is not that they can't give you a workout (obviously not comparable to what you can do as far as building muscle with a weights), but seriously, how long to you expect to use your living room as a gym, and how long before it begins to smell like one?

Some people have an exercise room dedicated, but some have never even considered this. This fitness stuff is for life...

I agree!