Do you really need to eat calories you have burned off throu

Options
I am on a 1200 calorie per day limit and I just read in another post you are supposed to eat the extra calories burned off through exercise....is this right, or is it more the fact you are "allowed" those extra calories if you choose? There is no way I could do that most days! The more I exercise, the more my appetite decreases and the less inclined I am to eat some of the higer calorie foods...

If yesterday was to go by, I would have had to eaten 3 days worth of calories in one day! I did a 30km walk, quite an achievement!

Replies

• elmct57
    elmct57 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    everyone is different. most here seem to eat their exercise calories. however, it doesn't work for me--i can do a few but not all. start regaining...have tested it several times and always the same. don't know if it's due to my being older or just me...

just tweak it and find out what works best for you. Good luck and congratulations on that walk!!
  • newnarelle
    newnarelle Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I have been sticking as close to 1,200 calories as I can regardless of exercise....seems to be working, so I guess I will stick with what I have been doing! Thanks!
  • precioustypeoflove
    precioustypeoflove Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    WHY DOES EVERYBODY ASK THIS SAME QUESTION U HAVE TO REFUEL UR BODY THIS IS WHY MFP GIVES U THE EXTRA !! IF U DONT EAT THEM ALL AT LEAST TRY AND EAT SOME IT DOESENT HAVE TO BE BAD STUFF EAT SOMETHING HEALTHY !
  • megsta21
    megsta21 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    WHY DOES EVERYBODY ASK THIS SAME QUESTION U HAVE TO REFUEL UR BODY THIS IS WHY MFP GIVES U THE EXTRA !! IF U DONT EAT THEM ALL AT LEAST TRY AND EAT SOME IT DOESENT HAVE TO BE BAD STUFF EAT SOMETHING HEALTHY !

No need to yell... she is a newbie and asking a question... we have all been here.... relax take a deep breath and copy and paste your last answer...

I recommend eating back 50-75% of your exercise cals, but do what works for you!

Read this, it might explain a bit. :flowerforyou:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo
  • newnarelle
    Options
    My impression was MFP calculates calories in and calories out, so this is helping you keep track, and the calorie goal is the goal you stick to, obviously you are allowed to eat your exercise calories, however the more calories consumed that you have burnt off the less you will lose. Thanks for your response though!
  • precioustypeoflove
    precioustypeoflove Posts: 197 Member
    Options

No need to yell... she is a newbie and asking a question... we have all been here.... relax take a deep breath and copy and paste your last answer...

I recommend eating back 50-75% of your exercise cals, but do what works for you!

Im not yelling i was writing something else and i forgot to take the caps off !!
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Just see what is rght for you. I generally eat around 50-200 of the 500 or so I have per day. Depends on the day and how hungry I am. If you drop below 1200 net calories on a regular basis your body could hold onto everything you put in. When you work out you do get hungrier Just plan healthy meals and see what works. Every person is different as to the amount they need.
  • lfbarrett
    lfbarrett Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    personally i don't eat them, i'm trying to lose weight so i need the deficit....i have a very slow metabolism, the minute i eat too much i start to gain, i know lots of ppl on here say to eat them, but i think it has to be a personal choice, if you're hungry then eat, but if you're not (which exercise tends to do) then don't eat....do what feels right for you, we're all different so our goals, diets, exercise will be as well....good luck, welcome to MFP
  • newnarelle
    Options
    Thanks all for your responses! I have been on track and lost 11kg in the last 2 months, so I guess what I am doing is working. I was just surprised seeing someone else's post mentiong you HAD to eat the exercise calories.

Thanks all!!
  • tjradd73
    tjradd73 Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    most people on here try to eat at least half of their exercise calories...i feel that they are there if you need em but that doesnt neccessarily mean that you have to eat them! any other diet says you work out to burn EXTRA calories for a greater weight loss, not that you work out so you can eat more. now don't get me wrong...if you are burning 1000-1500 calories per workout then yeah you should probably eat some of those to at least replenish your protien, other than that i wouldnt worry about trying to eat all of them :)
  • lordofultima
    Options
    I don't eat them, only because I calculate my needed calories myself, which includes the amount of exercise I do.
  • goal30Lori
    goal30Lori Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I try to leave about 200 cals in the green when I exercise - sometimes more, sometimes less(like today, LOL!) I figure they are there if I need them, but if I'm not hungry, I don't use them.
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I dont' eat my exercise calories at all. I want the deficit. I eat my 1200 and that is IT regardless of how much i exercise. The more i burn off, the higher the deficit ... the better i.m.o :)

i also find that i just cannot eat those extra cals. Exercise definitely decreases my appetite as well.
  • TyroneM
    Options
    I just wanted to say fantastic work on walking the 30km.:smile:
    Sorry off topic but would love to be able to talk that far some time soon.
  • noble1987
    Options

Read this, it might explain a bit. :flowerforyou:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

Thats exactly what I was thinking...

Some people need to chill out on here! lol x
  • ironmule
    Options
    I use my exercise calories as a buffer for those few meals that put me just over what I would normally eat. It's worked great for me so far.