Do you eat more on days you burned more?

Options
Okay so say if one day I had burned 300+ calories from exercise and the next I burned only 150, would you eat more on the day you burned more?

I am in a situation where I normally never eat back my calories from exercise, let a lone eat my caloric goal for the day.
I am 5ft 7" tall, around 94-96 pounds. And my daily caloric goals is 2,150.
My fitness goals is to increase weight by 0.5pounds a week. And activity levels are at "lightly active".
I had a phase where I would consume only around 1,300-1,500 calories. Now I am bumping it up to 1,600.

So I have a few questions here,
1.Should I consume more than 1,600 calories or keep it at that?
2.Do you eat back calories burned?

Thanks!

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    well, considering the MFP is set up for you to eat back your exercise calories then yes. That said, I use the TDEE method which includes an estimate of calorie burn from exercise in the activity level so with the TDEE method, no. You do NOT include exercise in your activity level with MFP...it is accounted for after the fact when you actually do it and log it.

Understand what tool you are using...understand that exercise is unaccounted for activity with MFP until you log it which is why you get exercise calories back. Understand that your calorie GOAL is a GOAL...you know...something to be achieved, not shot under. Your GOAL already includes a massive deficit from maintenance...no need to make it bigger.

Please research the actual tool you are using...there are stickies and what not that explain how this tool works...read them and use this tool properly.
  • AbidKhan99
    Options
    Hmm thanks.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Like the other poster said, you're supposed to eat back your exercise calories with MFP anyway. So you would eat more.
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    Just be careful not to overestimate your burn...that's the biggest issue people have when they're doing this. They look up some exercise here on the database or some other database and are like, "sweet...I just burned 1500 calories doing 30 minutes of recreational swimming."...No, you did not...

It's best to compare your calorie burn to multiple sources, even if you're using a HRM. Also, just a bit of common sense...for example, burning more than about 10 calories per minute over a sustained period of time is pretty damn hard...burning 10 calories per minute is serious business...if your calorie burn is working out to be bigger than that you may want to really think about whether or not you're really burning that much.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I eat back mine- but I have it set up so I'm planning on eating back mine- I don't work out the same way- so saying I'm moderately active when some weeks i'm INSANELY active and some not so much doesn't make sense.

Do what works for you.
  • ElizabethFuller
    ElizabethFuller Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I usually eat back 50 -75% of my calories burned. I assume that the machines at the gym are a little generous and on non-gym days I rely on the figures from my Fitbit. I set my deficit to 500 calories in June, to lose a pound a week, and that's what I've lost. :smile:
    Working well for me.
  • kimmymayhall
    kimmymayhall Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I don't understand.
    You are an 18 year old male who is 5'7" and weighs less than 100 lbs. If your goal is to gain weight, why are you not eating to or above your caloric goal of 2150 calories? I agree with wolfman that whether you eat back exercise calories depends on what method you are using, but If your goal is to gain you have to eat more food.
  • _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I usually eat 80% of my exercise calories back, depending on how hungry I am.

I workout 5 times a week, I kind of rely on exercise to be able to NOT restrict myself, I have having to log every tiny morsel of food on days I don't exercise, it gets really tedious.
  • mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    You're trying to GAIN, right? You said your goal is to INCREASE by .5 lb at a time, correct? So why eat far less than your daily goal AND not eat the extra you burn? Color me confused... :ohwell:
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    I don't understand.
    You are an 18 year old male who is 5'7" and weighs less than 100 lbs. If your goal is to gain weight, why are you not eating to or above your caloric goal of 2150 calories? I agree with wolfman that whether you eat back exercise calories depends on what method you are using, but If your goal is to gain you have to eat more food.

Also this...you should pretty much just be eating all the foodz....

I'm 5'10" and pushing 40 and I maintain right around 2700 - 2800 calories...you need foodz.
  • cajun_qt
    Options
    usually I eat more the day AFTER I burn a lot.
  • ruffnstuff
    ruffnstuff Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I don't understand.

Absolutely this. You stated your goal is to GAIN weight. That means you must eat ABOVE maintenance and well above any kind of deficit. Eating 1600 cals a day when it states 2150 a day will not have you gaining (at least not according to my math!). You need to eat your goal, plus the cals you burn if you work out.
  • AbidKhan99
    Options
    I understand that I need to eat, but it's a mind over matter thing.... where I am almost afraid of gaining weight.
  • kenzietate
    kenzietate Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    You're trying to GAIN, right? You said your goal is to INCREASE by .5 lb at a time, correct? So why eat far less than your daily goal AND not eat the extra you burn? Color me confused... :ohwell:

Same here...but if you aren't even getting to the base goal at the moment I would really suggest you get there first and then add more if you still aren't gaining weight.

Being underweight is just as unhealthy as being overweight just in a different way. So do your best to get those calories. I have struggled with eating enough too. I know it isn't that simple but trust me, you will regret it eventually.
  • cajun_qt
    Options
    Please speak to a professional. Eating should not be mind over matter. Eating is a vital need for survival.
  • AbidKhan99
    Options
    Thanks guys, :)
    I am trying my best, but it's fricking hard
  • ekz13
    ekz13 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    try eating more peanut butter, almonds, walnuts, etc. those should help you hit your 2k+ goal easier.
  • AbidKhan99
    Options
    Hmm true but I dont enjoy them foods
  • ChangingAmanda
    ChangingAmanda Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    What do you like? Try eating more of those foods.

Other ways to "sneak" in calories - don't eat reduced fat or calorie foods. Sub real butter for margarine; whole milk for skim or 1%,; regular cheese and yogurt for reduced fat or light; greek yogurt for regular yogurt; try eating cuts of meat that are higher in fat - dark meat chicken for white meat, ribeye for sirloin, ground beef for ground turkey or chicken. If it's going to help you get to your goal, eat a bowl of ice cream.

Also, your statement about mind over matter and almost being afraid to gain weight is very concerning. You probably need to seek out professional help with that thought process.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Okay so say if one day I had burned 300+ calories from exercise and the next I burned only 150, would you eat more on the day you burned more?

For 300 calories, I wouldn't.

For 1000 calories, I would.