Why should this time be different?

Options
Sorry for the long post - need to get this out, though!

I started seriously using MFP August 09 at 168 lbs. I had already lost down from my highest weight of 190, but for over a year I yo-yo'd around in the 160's, and I was tired of it. I did great, joined some very helpful challenges, gave up ALL alcohol, finished the C25k program, and lost down to 154. I had to buy new clothes on my trip home to Texas for the holidays, and, for the first time in a long time, I ENJOYED buying new clothes. I still had weight to lose, but I was out of the overweight BMI and I looked good in pictures again (what is it about pictures??).

Anyway, right before Christmas, I fell off the wagon. It was cold and dark outside, I went to the German Christmas markets and ate every calorific treat in sight. I was tired of the tediousness of tracking calories and I just wasn't as motivated to put on running tights and run in the freezing temperatures. Still, after New Years, I started to get back on track, when, BAM!, I injured my knee in a yoga class, of all things. My knee blew up and I couldn't do anything for a little over three months. I got depressed and just gave up.

The reality is, it is not true that I couldn't do "anything" for exercise. I could have worked on weight lifting, done some boxing, gentle/short walks after a few weeks - I could have found something to do to keep up some fitness. I could have continued to log on MFP and lost weight with diet and less exercise. My point is, I made excuses, but I COULD have stayed true to myself and my goals. As summer approached, oh man, I got depressed. This was supposed to be the summer I put on a bathing suit again - we were going on a dream vacation to Greece. Ouch. So, this summer, I was depressed and I ate everything. I piled on the lbs and come this Aug 2010, found myself back up to 178! I gained over 20 lbs this summer alone. My knee was healed, but I didn't get back to my running training. So, here I am again, facing the holidays overweight and dreading parties with cocktail dresses, hating myself in pictures, and just really angry with myself.

Until 5 years ago, I was never overweight. My weight would fluctuate within a 20 lb range in my early 20s (college!), but around 24, I started running, so I pretty much could eat what I want and stay thin. Still, I had an eating disorder as a teen, so it feels like I've always struggled with my weight and body image. 5 years ago, well, it was sort of the culmination of A LOT of stuff I won't bore you with, including an injury that stopped my running, and I just piled on 65 + lbs almost overnight, it seemed.

So, I'm in my mid-thirties and I feel like the last 5 years have been wasted on hating my body and myself. I should be enjoying life, not hiding at home because I have "nothing to wear." Instead, I find myself 10 lbs heavier than this time last year with a very nasty feeling of deja vu. Why should this time be different? It is very hard to start down this road again, and forget the 24 lbs I put on and have to lose AGAIN (not to mention the next 20). I know that this is something I probably have to answer myself, but I figured if anyone could understand, it would be the people of MFP. Thank you for reading!

Replies

• Trickynotts
    Options
    Hi jlbay!!!

I can really relate to your blog and think you're being really hard on yourself, I understand you've had it rough with weight you have the key to unlocking the success with that and you've proved before that you can. :smile:

I can empathise with regards to your injury and weight gain I too have always had hang ups with my weight and whilst in my 20s it fluctuated back and forth it was easier to control. Now in my late 30s I am struggling along with health issues that hinder my exercising. However I am determined to give it a go... and it isn't easy but then what is...

It is hard keeping track of what you eat (and I am expecting a killer weekend from Thursday as is my Birthday so watch this space) but I guess we have to remember that we have to live our lives and try and enjoy them as best we can and if that's nice foods at that time then so be it. We can pick it back up and work it back off, the most important thing is health and happiness, and jlbay you have to think about what that is for you.

I too hate pics of me but am now using the horrible ones of me with fat bulging out of my bikini to do something about it, but we all have to take it step by step and one day at a time.

I think you are a fantastic person you are honest and hard working, embrace the weight that you are now and feel positive about what you can do about it. we're all human and feel that we should lock ourselves away when we don't feel good about ourselves, I now try and smile and think to myself that this isn't how I'll always look and I want to show people that I will look different soon and they'll be amazed at the difference. So keep up your hard work and love yourself, you've so much to enjoy!!!

I hope that doesn't come across as patronising as I really resepct your feelings and really want to help, I genuinely do think you are a strong person, use that to help you.

Take Care :smile:
  • JayneWilson1963
    JayneWilson1963 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Welcome. I have been on MFP for almost 4 months. It's the best decision I have made in many years. I have lost weight with diets many times before, but it was never a lifestyle change. This time is different; it's a lifestyle change, not a diet. Good luck on your weight loss journey. Please feel free to add me as a friend; we can help motivate each other.
  • jlbay
    jlbay Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your responses. I known I'm not alone on this forum and many have been there, but sometimes it helps just to get it out and admit what your struggling with.