To start, excersice AND cut calories? Am I doing it wrong?

Options
2»

Replies

• geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Everytime I hear that someone isn't losing while allegedly eating 1200 calories, they usually are doing one or several of these:
    1) not weighing all their food and drinks using a digital scale.
    2) not logging everything they eat or drink.
    3) overestimating exercise calories.
  • dinmaris7
    dinmaris7 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Some hospitals have programs, for free, that will let you come in and weigh yourself and then give you a printout of your figures with a full breakdown of BMR, LBM, etc (Baptist Health System have these machines- I was on one this morning). BMI can be misleading because it doensn't take muscle mass into account. I have lost nearly 60 pounds over the last year by counting calories (net cals but figuring everything on the conservative side...ie, over counting intake and under counting output), pumping iron 4 times a week, and walking 45-60 minutes on the treadmill 3 times a week. Once a month I visit the hospital for a weigh-in.

Your best bet, like others have said on here, is to conservatively and carefully count the calories on a net basis and incorporate excercises of high-intensity...this will raise your metabolism and keep it high for upwards of 24-30 hours after each excercise. It has worked wonders for me. Good luck!
  • DianaGabriela2013
    DianaGabriela2013 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Trudijoy.. :flowerforyou: that was very motivating! Exactly what I needed.
    So what I get from this is that I am probably overeating! That was my problem to begin with, ate too much!
    But my weight never budged from 110-112, no matter what I ate. 4 years and 2 kids later, add a sedentary job, everything has changed! I will take the following advice :
    1. Calculate as accurately as possible
    2. Be patient, don’t have an aggressive goal
    3. Eat healthy and exercise
    Who cares how much weight I lose if I am healthier, stronger, and feel better right? Thanks!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Absolutely exercise and cut calories. And eat more when you exercise. 1200 net calories should be your goal. 1200 is the base, and eat back most or all of what you burn (depending on how sure you are of the number of calories burned).
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Trudijoy.. :flowerforyou: that was very motivating! Exactly what I needed.
    So what I get from this is that I am probably overeating! That was my problem to begin with, ate too much!
    But my weight never budged from 110-112, no matter what I ate. 4 years and 2 kids later, add a sedentary job, everything has changed! I will take the following advice :
    1. Calculate as accurately as possible
    2. Be patient, don’t have an aggressive goal
    3. Eat healthy and exercise
    Who cares how much weight I lose if I am healthier, stronger, and feel better right? Thanks!

That is the fact :) If you are happy, shrinking and feel better the scale doesn't matter. I weigh myself daily for giggles lol Since I do heavy lifting, I will be shocked if I get any lower than 160 :wink:
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    I would love to get an answer to this question becz im confused.so many ppl have wriitten on forums not to eat 1200 calories. If u exercise then technically u have consumed less than 1200 because you would minus calories burnt.
    I lost 1.5kg in first week and since lost nothing.
    Im hoping someone answers ur question n explains it simply so i can know if im doing it right too

MFP is set up as a NET caloric intake. Meaning you eat 1200 calories, workout burning 600 calories this has you netting only 600 calories so you'll need to eat an additional 600 calories for that day.

Ideally, you will find out what your BMR is online and NET a caloric intake just above it. This is the healthiest way to lose weight as you are still in a caloric deficit and ensuring your minimum caloric intake is above what your body needs to function.