What are the best supplements?

Options
Quick question -- is there such a thing as a protein supplement, or a vitamin with extra protein in it? I'm trying to up my protein intake without having to eat tuna fish or salmon for lunch and dinner every day. I eat greek yogurt just about every morning for breakfast (unless I cook a full blown meal of eggs, hasbrowns, and bacon).

Side note: I do not eat red meat (with the exception of bacon). I do, however, eat chicken, turkey, shrimp, and various types of fish (mostly salmon, tuna, and cod).

Basically, I'm most curious to know if there's a supplement that has protein in it.

Replies

• FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Quick question -- is there such a thing as a protein supplement, or a vitamin with extra protein in it? I'm trying to up my protein intake without having to eat tuna fish or salmon for lunch and dinner every day. I eat greek yogurt just about every morning for breakfast (unless I cook a full blown meal of eggs, hasbrowns, and bacon).

Side note: I do not eat red meat (with the exception of bacon). I do, however, eat chicken, turkey, shrimp, and various types of fish (mostly salmon, tuna, and cod).

Basically, I'm most curious to know if there's a supplement that has protein in it.
    You couldn't fit much in a pill. There are protein powders you can make into a shake or smoothie.
    I use isolated whey protein powder sometimes to hit my protein goal mixed with almond milk.

Watch out. You may now be barraged by shakeology and body by vi so-called "coaches" trying to sell you their MLM scheme supplements. Don't be fooled. You can use a cheaper ISO whey powder just as effectively.
  • GlassslippersAndFairyDust
    Options
    This is what I use.......I mix it in my morning smoothies. I love it.
    http://www.gardenoflife.com/Products-for-Life/Foundational-Nutrition/RAW-Protein.aspx
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Just get a good whey protein powder you like and will use.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • tonynguyen75
    tonynguyen75 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Protein powder.
  • SupermanRitz
    Options
    Protein powders are your best bet. Most will wok just fine for you. Costco brand and Mutant Whey I find to be the cheapest with good taste and good amino acid profiles. You can even mix it with your greek yogurt to get a bit of a pudding, its just slightly more grainy but I personally enjoy it a lot.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Protein powder...i prefer whey.
  • sunnshhiine
    sunnshhiine Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone!! I will check GNC for a good protein powder that I can use! Appreciate all the help! :flowerforyou:
  • WVprankster
    WVprankster Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    You may want to go someplace other than GNC (like the internet). GNC' notorious for waaaaay overinflating the price of their supps. Even with the gold card or any other discount they're having that day.
  • sunnshhiine
    Options
    You may want to go someplace other than GNC (like the internet). GNC' notorious for waaaaay overinflating the price of their supps. Even with the gold card or any other discount they're having that day.

Thanks for the heads up!
  • crash_aly
    Options
    You could head into GNC and just talk to someone and see what their recommendations are and then use that to help you narrow down your internet search though. The guys at the GNC near me are great resources and will even let you sample some of the products so you don't have to worry about ordering something that you will end up hating the taste of!
  • sunnshhiine
    Options
    You could head into GNC and just talk to someone and see what their recommendations are and then use that to help you narrow down your internet search though. The guys at the GNC near me are great resources and will even let you sample some of the products so you don't have to worry about ordering something that you will end up hating the taste of!

Awesome!! Thank you!!
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options

Definitely, I personally go to Bodybuidling.com or Vitacost.com. Most proteins will suite you fine even the cheaper concentrate stuff. I get Whey Isolate from bodybuilding.com for about $45 for a 4lb container. GNC will run you the same price for a 2lb container.

The only thing you'll probably find in pill format is BCAA's. Which are definitely good for you, but I wouldn't worry too much about supplimenting for them.
  • Ajbjcjdjpjhorshak
    Options
    Fiber Smart Choc and Vanilla shakes have 20 g of protein and are great tasting
    you can order online at renewlife.com
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Thanks, everyone!! I will check GNC for a good protein powder that I can use! Appreciate all the help! :flowerforyou:
    Buy it online. It's cheaper than GNC. Bodybuilding.com is a good source.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Sorry, but most associates at GNC are really clueless about nutrition. Most are just gym rats or fitness bunnies with no background in nutrition.

IDEA Fitness member
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Don't go to GNC! I asked for a specific post workout supplement and they started looking in the women's vitamin section. They are clueless and will just try to sell you their brand (it's a fact, it's a rule in the employee handbook). Bodybuilding.com is one of the cheapest places to buy supplements.
  • sunnshhiine
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I will check out bodybuilding.com.
  • jmg000
    jmg000 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Don't waste your money on supplements. Just get variety and your diet and you'll be fine. Don't take supplements unless you are some kind of elite level athlete.
  • crash_aly
    Options
    Sorry, but most associates at GNC are really clueless about nutrition. Most are just gym rats or fitness bunnies with no background in nutrition.

IDEA Fitness member

I'm not saying they are the best or most knowledgeable but it is a place to start and somewhere that she may be able to get an idea of what tastes she likes. The people by me are actually very knowledgeable and like you said "most" are, not all of them. The majority (obviously not yourself included) of the people on here have no nutrition background either but it's a place to go and bounce ideas and maybe learn a few things or find resources.