Strangest thing added to your diet to fill nutritional gaps?

I was having a hard time with calcium (because I just don't like plain milk enough to want to waste calories on it, and I can only eat so much yogurt). So, I've taken to eating Borden american cheese slices on eggs or sadwiches because I get 40% daily value of calcium in 60 calories, and I like them.

It's not what one would consider health food, but I added it for nutritional reasons!

How about you? Beer for the B vitamins?

Replies

• calcium is in all kinds of foods. here are the top 10. I too do not drink milk, except for the 1/2 n 1/2 in my coffee, but PLZ eat REAL cheese - American Cheese is processed cheese like food.

1. Cheese

2. Yogurt

3. Milk

4. Sardines

5. Dark leafy greens like spinach, kale, turnips, and collard greens

6. Fortified cereals such as Total, Raisin Bran, Corn Flakes (They have a lot of calcium in one serving.)

7. Fortified orange juice

8. Soybeans

9. Fortified soymilk (Not all soymilk is a good source of calcium, so it's best to check the label.)

10. Enriched whole grain breads, grains, and waffles
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    I was having a hard time with calcium (because I just don't like plain milk enough to want to waste calories on it, and I can only eat so much yogurt). So, I've taken to eating Borden american cheese slices on eggs or sadwiches because I get 40% daily value of calcium in 60 calories, and I like them.

It's not what one would consider health food, but I added it for nutritional reasons!

How about you? Beer for the B vitamins?

I get my calcium from green leafy vegetables. We don't need as much calcium as the "experts" claim and most of that stuff that calcium is in is not even absorbed by the body.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    calcium is in all kinds of foods. here are the top 10. I too do not drink milk, except for the 1/2 n 1/2 in my coffee, but PLZ eat REAL cheese - American Cheese is processed cheese like food.

1. Cheese

2. Yogurt

3. Milk

4. Sardines

6. Fortified cereals such as Total, Raisin Bran, Corn Flakes (They have a lot of calcium in one serving.)

8. Soybeans

9. Fortified soymilk (Not all soymilk is a good source of calcium, so it's best to check the label.)

Eating the enriched and fortified foods for calcium and other "nutrients" really does the human body no good as they are not absorbed by the human body, so your not getting the nutrients you think you are.

Great marketing scheme for the food manufacturers
  • Swiftdogs
    Swiftdogs Posts: 328 Member
    I am sometimes low on fat, and I'm not creative in the kitchen. So I'll take half an avocado, pour some red wine vinegar in the hole, and grab a spoon. Yummy! Good fiber, too.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    I get mine through coconut flavoured almond milk and a woman's one a day vitamin. I don't eat any dairy what-so-ever. If you want calcium from broccoli and other sources, you have to eat a butt ton. Start supplementing, and don't forget the Vitamin B and Magenesium, they help the calcium absorb into your system.
  • Eating the enriched and fortified foods for calcium and other "nutrients" really does the human body no good as they are not absorbed by the human body, so your not getting the nutrients you think you are.

Uh my post came from WebMD.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Eating the enriched and fortified foods for calcium and other "nutrients" really does the human body no good as they are not absorbed by the human body, so your not getting the nutrients you think you are.

Uh my post came from WebMD.

WebMD is not a good source to get information from.
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    I had to start eating iron enriched cereals and blending up spinach and almond milk because I could not get enough iron! I'm vegetarian so it's tricky. If I don't get enough I am super dizzy all the time though.
  • I am often low on protein (unless I have a sashimi lunch). Anyway, I often supplement my protein with peanut flour mixed with a little water to form a paste (sort of like peanut butter). it is low calorie, really high in protein and fiber.
  • calcium is in all kinds of foods. here are the top 10. I too do not drink milk, except for the 1/2 n 1/2 in my coffee, but PLZ eat REAL cheese - American Cheese is processed cheese like food.

1. Cheese

2. Yogurt

3. Milk

4. Sardines

8. Soybeans

Calcium is an elemental mineral. Calcium is calcium. How would my body know the difference? Calcium is actually less bioavailable when it is bound up in bonds and stuck behind cell walls (like in leafy greens!) http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Calcium-HealthProfessional/

EtA: I intended this to be a fun thread, not an invitation to tell me that my food choices are wrong... :flowerforyou:
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    I'm almost always lower on protein than I'd like to be, so I've taken to cooking up a huge (10lb) bag of chicken legs or breasts and just reheating and eating them as snacks. It's not super weird to eat chicken, but it's kind of weird to have a whole leq quarter as a "snack!"

1. Cheese

2. Yogurt

3. Milk

4. Sardines

8. Soybeans

I call unprocessed cheese "milk" :happy:

ETA: I like the rest of the list though, sounds tasty
  • I am often low on protein (unless I have a sashimi lunch). Anyway, I often supplement my protein with peanut flour mixed with a little water to form a paste (sort of like peanut butter). it is low calorie, really high in protein and fiber.

I can struggle with protein too. I'm gonna give that a try.