what is the problem with diet soda?

Not a huge soda drinker myself, i do like a diet soda a few times a week. In my view, it is bad (in large quantities) because the carbonation and citric acid aren't good for the teeth, and the carbonation can also make you bloated. But diet wise...what's the problem?

Replies

• lifeof_oz
    lifeof_oz Posts: 38 Member
    Some broscientists will complain about the aspartame , but you'd have to drink an obscene amount for that to affect you. Nothing wrong with a can or bottle of diet soda daily.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Aspartame, phosphoric acid and your sensitivity to sweetness may dull. Plus, whatever food coloring and preservatives they might add.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    In moderation, it's not going to pose a threat.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    I just avoid aspartame, plus it just tastes nasty.
  • ajaxe432
    ajaxe432 Posts: 608 Member
    I personally avoid it, but in moderation nothing. Some research claims its linked to obesity, cancer, all kinds of bad stuff.....but not really any sound evidence on either side of the argument. Drink in moderation would be key!!
  • Rocbola
    Just keep telling yourself that.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    I gave up pop in August after being a long time Diet Pepsi freak. I don't miss it at all .. and I really don't need all that crap in my body. All about being healthy now.

We are each entitled to our opinions and what we think is right for our bodies. This isn't for everyone.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    If I want to feel like sht nearly instantly, Diet Coke does the trick.

If other people feel great drinking it, good for them.
  • ujjz
    ujjz Posts: 24 Member
    Most doctors will tell you that, including mine. I trust him over your and the internet's conspiratorial hunch.
  • laura0770
    laura0770 Posts: 161 Member
    Sodium
  • Smoni2008
    Smoni2008 Posts: 30 Member
    Soda is processed and not clean.:noway:
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Well lets see Tab, first diet soda success, came out in 1963 and we continue to use them without statistically significant cases of cancer...I'd say drink it till your hearts content. Especially if you are diabetic.
  • Rocbola
    Most doctors will tell you that, including mine. I trust him over your and the internet's conspiratorial hunch.
    If everyone were healthy, your doctor would be broke.
  • nytrifisoul
    nytrifisoul Posts: 500 Member
    Proven.....Nothing wrong with it. But you have these "types" that preach to others to eat "clean" that will insist its bad for you, and blah,blah,blah.....Dont let these people bother you, and when you come across these people IRL just tell them to STFU like i do.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    I drink a lot of it. My dentists have never had a problem with it. I've never even heard of it being some dental threat. My doctor says it can cause caffeine rebound headaches or heartburn. I have no problems with it.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    The problem with diet soda is the simple fact that it tastes terrible.
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Bleh, diet soda. Give me a regular coke any day. But seriously, it won't hurt you, drink up!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    But diet wise...what's the problem?

i got nuthin
  • The sodium in sodas can make you more thirsty and not less. Carbonation beverages are bad for bone density.. Artificial sweeteners are best avoided in the long term. I've read articles saying artificial, calorie free sweeteners cause further cravings for sweets, and the metabolism reacts negatively after tasting sweet without receiving any actual calories, but I don't claim to know this for certain and suggest you read into it if it's a concern. A diet soda here and there is fine, as a regular drink I would avoid them if you can stand it for the phosphorous issue and the potential long term cancer effects people are reporting. |
    Here's a study claiming it's colas i9n particular and not all carbonated beverages as far as phosphorous/bone density.

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/84/4/936.full

there are others out there.