why is heavy lifting so f**** important?!

Options
every thread i read is "heavy lift this and heavy lift that, honestly!! what if some of us cant go to a gym or cant afford the equipment are we all doomed??? isn't strength training using your own body weight good enough???

Replies

• nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    As long as you have continuous progression, then you don't have to lift heavy. I do. But that's not saying you have to.

Progression is the key.
  • nz_deevaa
    Options
    ... by the way, heavy lifting is often the fastest way to achieve people's goals.

However, any activity that you do consistently is good.
  • paleojoe
    paleojoe Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    every thread i read is "heavy lift this and heavy lift that, honestly!! what if some of us cant go to a gym or cant afford the equipment are we all doomed??? isn't strength training using your own body weight good enough???

Body weight is more then enough. You can get a ton of health benefits and build an impressive physique with body weight alone.
  • jigglyone
    jigglyone Posts: 410 Member
    Options

Body weight is more then enough. You can get a ton of health benefits and build an impressive physique with body weight alone.

now thats what i like to hear :smooched:
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I lift heavy because I enjoy looking good naked, and cardio just takes too freaking long to yield any results. Also, being strong is empowering and fun.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    you mad?
  • nz_deevaa
    Options

Obviously I'm chopped liver.
  • jigglyone
    Options

Obviously I'm chopped liver.

thanks for your input as well... not trying to dis respect anyone
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    In order for your muscles to grow, you must lift weights heavy enough to cause your muscle fibers to tear. Your body then repairs the microtears in your muscles and your muscles grow and get stronger as a result. Heavy lifting is the most effective way to cause muscle growth. You want to lift with weight heavy enough to cause failure in 12 reps or less, otherwise the lifting is not nearly as effective for muscle growth. Body weight exercises are certainly much better than not lifting, but lifting to failure in the 8-12 rep range is optimal for muscle growth.
  • jigglyone
    Options
    As long as you have continuous progression, then you don't have to lift heavy. I do. But that's not saying you have to.

Progression is the key.

best words spoken:flowerforyou:
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    The best exercise is one you will do.

Heavy lifting is a great choice, but if you can't or do not enjoy it, do something else. Nobody minds if you do that.

However, I would not recommend insulting people who choose heavy lifting, and enjoy it.
  • jigglyone
    Options
    In order for your muscles to grow, you must lift weights heavy enough to cause your muscle fibers to tear. Your body then repairs the microtears in your muscles and your muscles grow and get stronger as a result. Heavy lifting is the most effective way to cause muscle growth. You want to lift with weight heavy enough to cause failure in 12 reps or less, otherwise the lifting is not nearly as effective for muscle growth. Body weight exercises are certainly much better than not lifting, but lifting to failure in the 8-12 rep range is optimal for muscle growth.

dang, i didnt know that! thank you
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Because it work? I don't know...personally I don't want people to lift heavy, I like having the free weights all to myself
  • jigglyone
    Options
    The best exercise is one you will do.

Heavy lifting is a great choice, but if you can't or do not enjoy it, do something else. Nobody minds if you do that.

However, I would not recommend insulting people who choose heavy lifting, and enjoy it.

never insulted ANYONE! just saying its all i hear:wink:
  • peachcats
    Options
    ego
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options

You might be interested in Mark Lauren's plans-laid out in his books Body By You (specifically for women) and You Are Your Own Gym. NO extra equipment at all, besides things like a chair, counter ledge etc. All about the body weight :) I got Body By You for under $20 at Barnes and Noble.
  • jigglyone
    Options

You might be interested in Mark Lauren's plans-laid out in his books Body By You (specifically for women) and You Are Your Own Gym. NO extra equipment at all, besides things like a chair, counter ledge etc. All about the body weight :) I got Body By You for under $20 at Barnes and Noble.

i heard about that book, and heard good things about it, problem is our local barnes and noble is no longer open :( is it possible that they have these books at a local library or other book stores?
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    It's the fastest way to build muscle. We lose muscle as we age, so it's important to maintain it, or in many cases build it. Not only for aesthetics, IMO, but having more lean body mass equals a higher metabolism. And I don't know about you, but I do like to eat. The more I can eat and maintain my weight the better.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    I do not lift heavy because I have degenerative disk disease and my docs say nothing over 25lbs. I do use resistance bands for PT, but I don't even log that as exercise. That's a functional necessity for me and I never break a sweat doing it.
    I'm not sure I'd lift heavy if I could because when I was actively bulimic, I purged by over exercising and that's a train I don't want to get back on. I am impressed by people who do heavy lift, but it just isn't for me. :wink:
  • jigglyone
    Options
    It's the fastest way to build muscle. We lose muscle as we age, so it's important to maintain it, or in many cases build it. Not only for aesthetics, IMO, but having more lean body mass equals a higher metabolism. And I don't know about you, but I do like to eat. The more I can eat and maintain my weight the better.

true, its always good to have a higher metabolism. i love eating as well, :blushing:
This discussion has been closed.