Healthy Substitutes for ranch dressing?

Options
I love ranch but it's obviously not in my diet plan. What are some healthy alternatives I can buy at the store (not make myself)?

P.S. I DON'T LIKE - balsamic, italian, blue cheese, thousand island, or honey mustard, or oil/vinegar.

Replies

• ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I'd give the making it yourself thing a try, but if youre not willing they make a nice tasting spray ranch I think it's wish bone. You have to spray it, saves a few calories, and is pretty flavorful.
  • 50racinggirl
    50racinggirl Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Try some Walden Farms dressings and/or sauces. They are zero everything. Don't get the ranch because it's disgusting. I use the sauces and dressings and LOTS of stuff.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    For a salad, try putting some more flavorful stuff on the salad itself. Pepperocinis, etc.

For a dip, I use fat free black bean dip from Trader Joe's.
  • I have made my own. And my husband loves it, who is pretty much anti-healthy. Anyway, I take a regular tub of 2% cottage cheese and a packet of ranch dressing. I put it in a blender with a little water depending on how thick or thin you want it. That's it!! It tastes really good.
  • MrsBingley
    Options
    Mix a hidden valley ranch packet with greek yogurt instead of sour cream (or you could go halvsies with the sour cream)
  • luveeyore21
    Options
    There is a newer dressing made w yogurt. The name is Bolthouse it's usually in the refrigerated part by the ready to eat lettuce bags. They have a lot of different flavors less fat and only 45 calories per serving. It tastes good too...lol
  • PumpJockeyy
    PumpJockeyy Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Walden Farms.
  • Tiznonay
    Tiznonay Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    yeah, there's lots of good low-cal ranches out there. I use Marie's Light Creamy Ranch. I find it delicious, and it's only 30 calories per tablespoon
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I like the Bolthouse yogurt ranch, but if it's not your bag the cottage cheese + ranch mix is also pretty good (though better as a dip than a dressing).
  • sandobr1
    sandobr1 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Salsa, or salsa mixed with ranch, lighten it up a bit. I find if I measure out salad dressing which is usually 2tbls per serving and mix well it is enough, just mark it fit in my goals for the day.
  • nytrifisoul
    nytrifisoul Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Try this....1/2 light ranch, 1/4 fat free ranch, 1/4 light sour cream or 1/2 light ranch, 1/2 light sour cream. It will seriously cut back on the calories without tasting like crap. I love using 1/2 kens reserve blue cheese and 1/2 light sour cream for dipping buffalo wings.
  • jhmomofmany
    jhmomofmany Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    This is what I use:

1 cup non-fat plain greek yogurt
    2 Tbsp real mayonnaise
    splash Bragg's raw Apple Cider Vinegar
    1/4 tsp (more or less) Real Salt
    1tsp (or to taste) original Mrs. Dash

Per 2 TBSP serving (according to MFP database) 46 cals; 1 carb, 3 fat, 3 pro
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,702 Member
    Options
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/19/ranch-dressing-recipe_n_3769342.html

This recipe is pretty light. 3/4 cups buttermilk to 2 tablespoon each of sour cream and mayo + herbs.

So that's 60 cals for 180 ml buttermilk, 61 for 30 g full fat sour cream, 216 for 30 g full fat mayonnaise. You could cut down further by using light mayo and sour cream. I normally do something similar with respect to buttermilk to fat proportions but make it easier by adding garlic powder, dried oregano and salt instead of the fresh herbs and garlic.
  • samantha1242
    samantha1242 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I make my own with plain greek yogurt or light sour cream mixed with a bit of the hidden valley ranch mix. I use this more so when I want to dip something in ranch.

If I am using it for more of a dressing, I love the Bolthouse Farms yogurt ranches, they are a lighter option and are delicious.
  • laurelobrien
    laurelobrien Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    home made mayo!
  • lngrunert
    lngrunert Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Bolthouse Farms!
  • marshmallow8978
    marshmallow8978 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I love ranch, I buy the simply dressed light ranch (Marie's) usually - 1tbs is 35 calls, or I just bought a new Greek yogurt ranch called litehouse opa which is only 30/tbsp. but I don't like it as much as Marie's .
  • gingabebe
    gingabebe Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I love ranch but it's obviously not in my diet plan. What are some healthy alternatives I can buy at the store (not make myself)?

P.S. I DON'T LIKE - balsamic, italian, blue cheese, thousand island, or honey mustard, or oil/vinegar.

The ones you don't like are all my favorites, sorry no help here.
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    How about cutting it with yogurt? 1 TBSP dressing mixed with 1 or 2 TBSP yogurt (FAGE 2% Plain is probably the most neutral tasting) ...

OR, quit being lazy and buy a packet of dressing mix ... make it with half sour cream (full fat) half 2% FAGE, and a splash of milk to thin it out if desired ... it will take all of 5 minutes (at the most) ...
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options