When do you buy new clothes?

Options
So, here is a question for the psychologists out there.....

I've lost about 30 pounds since I started on myfitnesspal. The clothes are getting big but I keep wearing them

I've lost some weight before and always put it back on. Is this some sort of self-destruction mindset... I don't bother buying new clothes because I'll just end up putting weight back on? I don't think I'm thinking that but maybe subconsciously I am?

comments???

Replies

• JL2513
    JL2513 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    First off, congrats on the weight loss! 30 lbs is an excellent achievement.

Yes, perhaps you're hanging onto your too-big clothes because subconsciously, you're thinking you may need them in the future. I'd ditch the too-big clothes and get new ones that fit your new body. Donate the old clothes so that you have even more motivation to stay in shape. Your new tighter fitting clothes will keep you in check.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    It may be psychological. Maybe you're afraid that new clothes will be too tight, even though your old ones are loose and you've lost weight. Maybe you feel you don"t deserve new clothes because you haven't hit a particular goal you've set.

Perhaps instead of BUYING the clothes, just go to the store and try some on. It's free, and you're under no pressure to buy anything unless you really want to.
  • lisaanne1369
    lisaanne1369 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Maybe just tuck your old things away and start hitting sales and thrift stores ? I am finaly starting to buy new stuff myself been very hesitant about it.
  • GeorgeD7441
    Options
    For years it seemed like the only time I was buying new clothes was when I needed bigger sizes. Over the last year I've lost 35 pounds and started donating clothes as they get too big. My wife made a comment about keeping them in case I put on weight but I decided that I don’t want that as an option. If I start gaining weight and my clothes start getting tight it will be a good reminder that I’m going wrong way and need to make changes.

I’m still working on losing and I don’t want to spend the money on new clothes so I've been shopping at Goodwill. When I get to my target I’ll start spending money on new clothes. Maybe I'm just being cheap but I hate to spend money on clothes that will be too big for me a year from now.
  • rsemsem
    Options
    i'm cheap, I'm not getting new clothes until I get to my goal weight. I've put extra holes in my belt and it's kinda nice to see where I was and where I am now (still need another 26lbs, then will reassess)

What is kinda kewl is that I kept a suit from when I first met my wife and I took her out to a fancy place this past Saturday for her birthday and I was able to fit into it very comfortably and it was still in style ;)

My wife is after me to get new clothes, but I wont' do it until I drop that other 26lbs
  • pacsqueen
    Options
    In the beginning, I didn't buy new clothes either but I looked like a baggy elephant after awhile. Once I did buy new cloths, I was amazed at how great I felt! I looked better and felt better. It made a TON of difference to have clothes that fit that were smaller! I've lost fairly consistently, so I've had to buy several different rounds of clothes. I don't want to spend a ton of money so I've started only buying what I need; one pair of jeans, only a shirt or two, etc. I also buy at thrift stores now. It saves me money and I just give them back when I'm done! I've also found jeans that I like at one of my favorite stores and when they have a "Buy One, Get One for $5" Sale I buy the next size down for the extra 5 bucks.

Buy some new clothes that fit. Even if it's just one pair of jeans and a t-shirt. You will be AMAZED at how good you feel about yourself when you do!!
  • callistasky
    callistasky Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I am similar to you, except I don't ever lose weight, I just gained it. I've lost over 40 lbs though. I brought out my 10 year old skinny clothes, so I still have stuff that fits me. I am super low income and don't have much money to spare for clothes. I did treat myself to a rockin thrift store dress which makes me look fabulous and I also bought a new swimsuit. Those two items improved how I feel about myself immensely. I suggest as a "treat" for doing so well, you buy yourself one item of clothes that just.makes you feel rockin. Say every 10lbs or so. Maybe some skimpy undies, or a dress or pair of shoes. That way you won't feel like you have to buy a new wardrobe, because guess what?! You might lose some more! Great job.
  • LiteBrite007
    LiteBrite007 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    You guys are weird! BUY THE CLOTHES!!! lol nothing motivatate you like feeling like you wasted money!!! I bought new clothes when I lost 40lbs! If i even gain five more I'm like " OH NO!!! MY CLOTHES WONT FIT!!! THESE ARE BRAND FREAKIN NEW!!!" and down goes the weight again.
  • ProgressNotPerfection32
    Options
    Congrats!!!

Each size I have dropped I have donated to goodwill or a friend in need. I know that I paid a pretty penny for the new clothes and if I gain the weight back, I'm screwed because I will have to go naked. I may gain 5 back here and where but in almost 3 years I haven't gone back up a size. I've lost weight in the past and hung on to old clothes.......and went right back to them.
  • Enny2405
    Enny2405 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Buying clothes is the best reward there is for losing weight!!! Get an empty container and label it "Fat Clothes" and start adding clothes to the box as they get to big and see how many you can shrink out of - but definitely go buy some new clothes - they don't have to be expensive - just something that will lift you mood when ever you put it on! Congrats on you weight loss :flowerforyou:
  • Enny2405
    Enny2405 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    (Oh and the box of clothes is there if you ever fall off the wagon and need them ever again - even if is just a security measure or to show you how far you have come)
  • moonmistmm
    moonmistmm Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I buy the essentials when I need them like new jeans. And new sports bras. I've lost weight my 36 pounds so far over a year, so everything has gotten use.

Sometimes the act of buying something in a smaller size makes me enjoy my new body more and want to continue to change it.
  • beckyzalldat
    beckyzalldat Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    well I lost 102 lbs and I think its about time I go and buy a new outfit !!! guess I was being cheap :)
  • Gonzafitness
    Options
    Throw them suckers away! Keep one "overweight" out fit as a constant reminder of how far you have come and one "goal weight" out fit for where you want to be. I went from a size 42 pant (very tight on me) to a size 34. I kept the descending pants hanging on my wall and tried them on once I reached the right weight. It felt amazing seeing the progression to my old slimmer pants.
  • andysmom
    andysmom Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Buy some new clothes that fit. Even if it's just one pair of jeans and a t-shirt. You will be AMAZED at how good you feel about yourself when you do!!
    I have to agree with this! I've hit the clearance racks (it takes a while, but I recently found some awesome jeans for $5) and I'm lucky to have a sister who sews and has altered some of my stuff. For t-shirts, look for "How To Sew - Resize a T-shirt Tutorial - DIY Fashion" on youtube for a super easy way to trim down those giant XL and XXL tshirts I used to hide in!

The better my clothes fit, the more compliments I get and I love them! Also just seeing myself looking good keeps me motivated.
  • silencioesoro
    silencioesoro Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Thrift stores were my best friends while losing 100 pounds, once I hit where I wanted to be - that'[s when I splurged on jeans from good stores.
  • R55T
    R55T Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    In the beginning, I didn't buy new clothes either but I looked like a baggy elephant after awhile. Once I did buy new cloths, I was amazed at how great I felt! I looked better and felt better. It made a TON of difference to have clothes that fit that were smaller! I've lost fairly consistently, so I've had to buy several different rounds of clothes. I don't want to spend a ton of money so I've started only buying what I need; one pair of jeans, only a shirt or two, etc. I also buy at thrift stores now. It saves me money and I just give them back when I'm done! I've also found jeans that I like at one of my favorite stores and when they have a "Buy One, Get One for $5" Sale I buy the next size down for the extra 5 bucks.

This is what I did too. . . I now love clothes shopping again, though I try not to go overboard since I'm not at goal size/weight yet.
    :flowerforyou: Congratulations OP & all others on your weight loss. All the best in continuing on to meet your weight goal.
  • ElizabethFuller
    ElizabethFuller Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I'm trying really hard not to spend too much on clothes until I get to target, I was a UK size 18, am currently a UK 14 and I'm not stopping until I get to 12! I bought some cheap size 14 trousers for work back in the summer but these are getting big and most of my other clothes are a 16. When I get to target it'll be a massive shopping spree and ALL the fat clothes are going because this time I'm not going to gain the weight back again!!!
    :noway:
  • MindyG150
    MindyG150 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I wish I had waited till I hit my final goal....kinda mad for settling.
  • mimiteh35
    mimiteh35 Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I asked something similar a few months ago. I ended up kind of doing what others have done. I looked at goodwill/thrift stores because I hate to spend a lot on clothes that won't fit me in a year...but my weight loss had plateaued for a couple months and the holidays and Fall were coming, and I always wanted to comfortably wear leggings/boots and not feel huge in them, so it has also given me motivation to have something new to purchase!

I will state this also...the only people telling me they could see my weight loss was my fiance and my kids who see me every day, and no one else, and I was like "meh, they are just saying that because they love me and see how hard I'm working" but then the first time I wore something the smaller size (stuff I had previously that I owned 7 yrs ago that wasn't too out of style yet) and when I wore those smaller clothes taht weren't hanging on me, others started to make comments about if I've lost weight and I look great, so it was a good booster for my motivation as well. In that time frame I bought a few new items, just a couple of T shirts and some exercise clothes, but it feels great to see that I'm buying an XL instead of a XXL, and while I do get disappointed sometimes that I'm not in even smaller clothes yet because its been nearly a year and I've only lost 30 pounds, fitting into a cute outfit of boots/leggings COMFORTABLY to wear in public and hearing my friends tell me they couldn't tell before because I was in such baggy clothes (which used to be my comfy clothes) was a real booster and now instaed of telling myself "I've only lost 30 pounds" I tell myself "I've lost 30 pounds, and it was hard work but I can physically see the difference, I need new clothes, and I'm going to keep going because I've come so far now!"

So, moral of the story is CELEBRATE your successes! one milestone at a time!

I will add I'm keeping 1 shirt from my day 1 of my journey, well that's a lie, I have 3 Ts and some comfy flannel PJs that I don't want to give up but they are just PJs and have drawstrings to tighten them, lol, and its Fall and cold here in WV...but I'm keeping that 1 sweater from my day 1 of my journey, the sweater that I wore on Christmas eve to a family party thinking I looked great, but when I saw a pic my cousin took of me in that sweater, I realized I was really bad off weight wise, I was in denial before then that I had become THAT huge and round, it was my "OMG" moment that pushed me to get healthier, and now I put that sweater on a couple of months ago when I hit a plateau and put a side-by-side pic to see how far I've come and I intend to keep that 1 sweater for that purpose when I reach my goal weight... otherwise I am slowly getting rid of my clothes I'm growing out of. things that aren't too bad I'm keeping "for now" until I replace them, but nearly all of them have gone to donation or given to friends who asked for them. It makes me feel good to know I've gotten rid of them because I won't have an excuse to get too slack in my weight loss journey or I will have to buy all new clothes, I'm just starting to be able to purchase XL in some regular size stores, not just plus size stores. Not all stores, but a few have some regular XL that fit me, and that feeling alone for me is awesome!

Congrats on your weight loss so far! Celebrate, even if it just means buying 1 new outfit in your new size!! :) that's what I'm doing, 1 new outfit a month, new can mean "new to you" as in thrift/goodwill, or it can mean brand-spankin new, but whatever you do, CELEBRATE the new you emerging!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!