Feeling super guilty...

Options
Today my nonna (grandma) made her amazing apple walnut marmalade bundt cake and I must have had 2 slices.. I felt full, ate assorted nuts (unsalted but no too many) and then went back to pick at the cake grabbing thin slices each time... I have no idea how much I actually had but I feel awful!! I haven't had a dessert in a while, but every time my nonna makes my cake I overeat it (ugh! love hate relationship). I have no idea what to do now.. I cant workout because I have work to do, but does anyone have ideas? Will this make me gain weight? I recently reached my goal weight and and I am not happy with the idea of gaining it all back.. Would green tea help maybe? Im rambling now, but any advice or support would be appreciated!

Replies

• SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Just log it as best you can, take a walk, drink some water and move on. Don't let guilt send you into a tailspin and cause you to abandon your program. Tomorrow is a new day.
  • tataylllor
    tataylllor Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Just log it as best you can, take a walk, drink some water and move on. Don't let guilt send you into a tailspin and cause you to abandon your program. Tomorrow is a new day.

Thanks!!! I drank water, hopefully it helps!!
  • smuller73
    smuller73 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I second this. As I just recently discovered, one bad day will not ruin many good days. So log, move on and don't feel guilty about having something occasionally that you enjoy.
  • moss11
    moss11 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Absolutely agree just move on. Life will be full of situations like this, as long as you get right back on your woe this won't hamper you at all. In fact I believe we need a bit of deviation now and then, no one is perfect and trying to be can be the real cause of failure.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Your Nonna made it! There will be a time in your life when she may not be able to make it, and you'll miss it so much because it reminds you of her and her love. Eat it don't feel guilty. She comes from a generation that shows love with food. No one will ever make a bundt cake like your Nonna.

Your grandmother's bundt cake is not going to cause you to gain a lot of weight. It's just a little blip in food, but what it means in memory is well priceless.

Awe this makes me want to cry I miss my Grandma so much! (she's still alive but lives far from me)
  • ModernNerd
    ModernNerd Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    You didn't put on all that extra weight in one day. Likewise, one day won't send you spiraling into gaining it all back. Learn from it and move forward with that knowledge and experience. Best of luck!
  • hellakitties
    hellakitties Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I agree that you should just log it and move on. When I overeat, I log the foods and then eat under my calorie goal for the next few days until it evens out. So if I overeat by 500 calories on one day, I would try to go under by 100 calories for the next five days. If you don't want to do this, just writing it off should not hinder your goals if you go back to being on track. Your nonna's cake sounds amazing, and I don't think you need to feel guilty for indulging!
  • Searching44
    Options
    Your Nonna made it! There will be a time in your life when she may not be able to make it, and you'll miss it so much because it reminds you of her and her love. Eat it don't feel guilty. She comes from a generation that shows love with food. No one will ever make a bundt cake like your Nonna.

Your grandmother's bundt cake is not going to cause you to gain a lot of weight. It's just a little blip in food, but what it means in memory is well priceless.

Awe this makes me want to cry I miss my Grandma so much! (she's still alive but lives far from me)

Spot on! It was one day, enjoy it and enjoy your Nonna. You could even just call it a "cheat day" and move on...
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options

:heart: :flowerforyou: :heart:
  • CharChary
    CharChary Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Just log/make a note of it in your diary and forget about it. Like you already said, you never eat dessert and this was something YOU really enjoy/rarely have. You have to enjoy life/your favorite foods sometimes. Don't feel guilty! Your body probably loved that treat.
  • tataylllor
    tataylllor Posts: 51 Member
    Options

Thanks for the advice/support!! Im sorry you dont get to see your Grandma too often, I hope you are able to visit soon!!
  • squishybarb
    squishybarb Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    "One bad meal won't make you 'fat', just like one good meal won't make you 'skinny.'" I love this quote and I live by it. I have bad days more often than I should honestly. And my weight-loss has worked for me because I confess to myself, let it go, and move on with the mindset that the next day I can do really well if I choose. You won't gain a pound of fat in one night! Drink a lot of water and begin again tomorrow. :bigsmile:

btw I had a Nonna too.. she passed away in 2003 but she LOVED food too - my family shows love with food as well.. she was over 500 pounds when she passed.. greatest, wisest, most loving person in the entire world though. cherish your time. :smooched:
  • xxmarysmxx
    xxmarysmxx Posts: 199 Member
    Options

Wish I had my Nana around to make me anything...loved her.
  • rileyhunter169
    Options
    Nein!!! Guilt is an emotion of counter productivity that will only cause anger and unneeded distress that makes one blind. You can eat junk food and still be in amazing shape; as long as it fits in your calories for the day; although you can get away with days over your caloric expenditure given regular hard exercise. 90/10 or 80/20 or rather moderation is always the rule. It is extremely hard to gain any noticeable amount of fat from one day of overfeeding; especially when it is mostly carbs and sugars and protein... I would be concerned if you ate 5 pounds of butter (idk why) or were having pecan pie; but you barely made any scratches. Why are u so worried? Why? Give me one good excuse. Dismissed; and don't let me catch you sleeping during night land navigation.
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Don't feel guilty ... Just go back to eating like you do normally tomorrow ...

It's hard to resist anything a Nonno or a Nonna makes .. Trust me, I've been there too ... Don't over think it, just enjoy your time with your Nonna and relax ... and a few unsalted nuts aren't a bad thing ... If my Nonno was alive (my Nonna had Alzheimer's, so my Nonno did all the yummy Italian cooking), I would eat everything he made, no questions asked, no calories counted, I would just be so happy to have him around again ... Plus, I'd just end up running it off ... LoL, he'd probably think I was too skinny, anyway ...
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options

I love this so very much! My grandmothers are both gone and my mama lives very far away. Enjoy this while you can! don't feel an ounce of guilt. She may even pass along the recipe, but I promise it will never taste the same as how she makes it. Savor the love that can go into baking :)