I'm about to give up

Options
I need advise. I used to be in good shape and exercised all the time which allowed me to eat anything I wanted. I got married and can't commit to the gym as much anymore. I've gained 20lbs in 5 years. I can't seem to lose the weight unless I do something drastic like Atkins and yes I've attempted hcg but always gain The weight back. In the past 4 months I started running again and was doing good ...not losing but feeling great. Plus I did vinyasa yoga 1-2x a week. I lost nothing! Then I got sick and haven't been running since. I've since started hot yoga and have been going to a vinyasa flow class 3x a week. I actually feel heavier. I'm counting calories and yes do have the odd day where I'm over my 1500 calories. Why can't I lose? I don't even know what to do anymore. Any suggestions??

Replies

• bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Are you willing to open up your diary? We may be able to offer more advice if we can take a peek at what/how you're eating.
  • uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    You have to be eating over your maintenance. You must be getting calories from something that you are unaware of.
  • HeavyHilda
    Options
    Are you sleeping good? Seems like a lot of stress after reading your post. It may be cortisol levels if you are not getting enough sleep. This could effect the rate you are burning calories. Age is another factor, after about 35 yo it seems your body will hang on to whatever it can. After 50, it will hang on to you and grab some from everybody else, lol.

I've lost 4 just by learning where the calories are from keeping my diary of what I'm eating. That is a nice app.
  • Gonzafitness
    Options
    Unless you have a thyroid problem you are eating too many calories.
  • Gonzafitness
    Options
    What ever you do DONT give up
  • gogeter82
    gogeter82 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    u might not be eating enough.
    the body metabolism slows down if it doesnt have enough calories.
    or u may have reached a plateau.
    try a different exercise like yoga, pilates. These reduce stress.:smile:
  • p1xyn1xy
    p1xyn1xy Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Yoga is great exercise for stretching and toning but it doesn't burn calories. You need to find something more active to join. You may need to drop calorie if you want to lose without more high impact activity. Don't give up.... you just need to tweak what you are doing. :D
  • tottie06
    tottie06 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I need advise. I used to be in good shape and exercised all the time which allowed me to eat anything I wanted. I got married and can't commit to the gym as much anymore. I've gained 20lbs in 5 years. I can't seem to lose the weight unless I do something drastic like Atkins and yes I've attempted hcg but always gain The weight back. In the past 4 months I started running again and was doing good ...not losing but feeling great. Plus I did vinyasa yoga 1-2x a week. I lost nothing! Then I got sick and haven't been running since. I've since started hot yoga and have been going to a vinyasa flow class 3x a week. I actually feel heavier. I'm counting calories and yes do have the odd day where I'm over my 1500 calories. Why can't I lose? I don't even know what to do anymore. Any suggestions??

First off, don't quit!! Secondly, let me say that I can relate on some level. Once I got married things changed. Not because I stopped caring about myself, but we went into business together. And not only that, we started taking people under our wing, teaching them a trade as well as taking them into our home to give them a leg up. Once a year, we take in someone new till they get on their feet. Investing in people can be very rewarding, but there are times we get the slap in the face. So, I started drinking like a sailor (hard liquor), to deal with the stress of time and money lost, and in taking such huge risks with our very livelihood. Put on 40lbs in 4 years time!!! Thankfully, I carry my weight well, but nonetheless, I do feel it. And it's not healthy. Finally, I heard about MFP and made myself make changes for the better. People come and people go, and shi* happens, but I only have this one body to live in.

Listen, I don't know your height or frame size, but I suggest eating 1200 cal/day. And then listen to your body...if you need more due to hard core exercise ect. Also, it takes time in the beginning for some of us to see weight loss reflect on the scale. But if you are eating at a reasonable deficit, and exercising, your clothes should be getter looser. Remember, it takes time as your body is changing from the inside out...rearranging here and firming there. Stick to it!!!!
  • tottie06
    Options

He makes a good point. Maybe get that checked?
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    check your BMR and make sure your cals are over that and under TDEE. Sleep more (try a herbal). Drink more water. Take measurements. and DO NOT give up. Even if you only lose 5 lb in the whole year at least you're healthier xx
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options

He makes a good point. Maybe get that checked?

thirded
  • Erin_OC
    Options
    I don't want to discourage yoga because it's so good for us in so many ways, but there's some evidence that yoga actually lowers one's metabolism (check out the book "The Science of Yoga").
  • tottie06
    Options
    Yoga is great exercise for stretching and toning but it doesn't burn calories. You need to find something more active to join. You may need to drop calorie if you want to lose without more high impact activity. Don't give up.... you just need to tweak what you are doing. :D

I don't know much about yoga, but she may be right. If you can't run, can you walk briskly or use an elliptical? Not sure what you meant about getting sick. What about strength training? It burns fat while building muscle, which in turn burns even more fat. I love it!
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    We can give you all the advice in the world but until you open your diary we can't really see what you're eating. I agree that barring a thyroid or other medical issue you are most likely eating too mych
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    You're eating more than you think. Weigh and measure everything. Including drinks. Name she you are being accurate anything that goes in the mouth you count. Once you are sure that is correct. Then re calculate the needed calories
  • Inspired5
    Inspired5 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Ok I will try some of these suggestions. I've had my thyroid tested a few times but always comes back as healthy. I do know I'm intolerant to wheat so try eat wheat and gluten free. I Make a lot of clean meals because I don't like the thought of processed food. I will lower the calories to about 1300. At 1200 I get too dizzy.
  • Saramelie
    Saramelie Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Even if you only lose 5 lb in the whole year at least you're healthier xx

Never saw it that way, but`s it`s an amazing quote, I will keep it in mind.

DON`T GIVE UP. unless you want to see that 20 pounds turn into 40, 60, 80............. You can do it!