Need motivation to actually start

Options
Hey all,

hope you're all doing very well :)

I have about 70 pounds i'd like to lose and i am reallllyyy serious about achieving this. My problem is that i'm finding it difficult to find motivation to actually go to the gym or to do exercise. When i leave my house and go on my way to the gym I know i'll definitely go, but sometimes i find it difficult to actually get up and go. I've become really lethargic and I hate it, any advice or ways i can get motivated? I need to lose it.

Replies

• debs1389
    debs1389 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You can do it. Please add me. Lets motivate each other
  • lighteningjeanne855
    Options
    Please go find the forum for "What was your moment?"
    There are soooo many stories about 'the last straw'
    before getting serious about losing weight.
  • Cass0422
    Cass0422 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I found a series on Netflix to watch and only watch at the gym. So if I want to know what happens next I have to go back to the gym. It works for me.
  • cevalid
    Options
    Gyms are great, but I don't think they are the perfect starting point for everybody.

I started walking home from work every day. Its about 50 mins walk, but I don't have to get into excersize gear, I just wear my work shoes and clothes. Not sure if its a hurdle for you, but the idea of getting changed and bringing extra clothes etc is annoying to me.

When I first started it was hard, but I walk along the bus route so I know I can just hop on the bus if I get too tired. And when I do get tired I tell myself to just walk one more stop, then one more, then one more until I'm home.
  • wendyg311
    wendyg311 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Oh...ME TOOOO!!! Ugh...I KNOW what I HAVE to do...... I HAVE the time to do it........ I just sit there THINKING about what I should be DOING.......BUT....I DON"T do it. I don't move. Just sit there.

I had my moment too, I really did. I remember it vividly. I jumped right on MFP and started researching and reading, educating myself. I scour the success stories and marvel at them....... but I just sit there..........

p.s. the "What was your moment" forum is great
  • manakayyy
    Options
    This is hard for me too. I try to think about all of the times that my weight has made me unhappy and think "I don't want to feel that again." I still haven't started. I have made a grocery list for tomorrow but the exercise is the hard part. I do not get that feel good endorphin release that everyone talks about. I get done exercising and want to load up on carbs. I have tried buying "goal" clothes to fit into and taking "before" pictures to see how bad it is.... No such luck so far..
  • AprilOneFourFour
    AprilOneFourFour Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I think the majority of success is down to what you eat and drink (or don't) rather than exercise. You can lose without going to the gym. Maybe just doing that would get you going and then, when you're motivated by results, you might think that the gym will help you accelerate the loss.

Or just stick some music on at home and dance to it / find a work out on youtube if it's the leaving home rather than the exercise. (If you don't do that, maybe your diagnosis is off?)
  • MzzFaith
    MzzFaith Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    You can do it.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    Find stuff you like to do. For example, when I do pole fitness, even when I'm super sore and sweat is dripping off me, it just seems FUN! I feel similarly about hiking. I would never be super pumped to run on a treadmill. Find some fitness hobbies and fill in around with the things you like less but have to do for convenience.

You can lose weight without going to the gym, but you will just be skinny fat and might not even improve your vitals that much. Be active for your health.

Watch this video. I mean it! You will never look at exercise the same way again: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUaInS6HIGo
  • CharChary
    CharChary Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I just created the "no-excuses," excuse in my head. I aim to workout 5-6 days a week NO EXCUSES. Keep in mind why you want to lose the weight/read success stories on here and most importantly.. don't wait around for motivation. Just go. Remember how you feel AFTER you go knowing you went and gave it your all: so rewarding and in time the reward will be great: a smaller/healthier you. Gotta put the work in though.
  • arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Stop trying to think of motivation and just start.
  • IronPhyllida
    IronPhyllida Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Stop trying to think of motivation and just start.
    ^^^ This. The more you think about it, the more chances you're giving yourself to talk yourself out of it.
    Add me as a friend and I'll kick your butt - sorry, encourage you. :laugh: :wink: :tongue: :flowerforyou:
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    There's nothing you can do to suddenly feel motivated.

Think about how cr@p you feel about yourself when you sit there instead of going to the gym. Then think about how great you feel when you have that post-workout buzz. It's really a no-brainer.

Inspiration and motivation won't find you. Sorry if this sounds harsh, but you just have to go.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    The only person who can motivate you is you. Find an exercise you wish to do and you want to return to. There's no point doing something you hate as you wont keep it up. You don't need to go to the gym to exercise there's plenty you can do at home or things as simple as walking. In the end though it comes down to you and what you're willing to do.
  • LizN63
    LizN63 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    For me it helps to just have the goal of getting there. So pack your gym bag the night before, then when you've scheduled a work out just concentrate on getting to the gym, don't think about the workout and how hard it'll be and what else you'd rather be doing. Once you've got there, everything just flows from there. Good luck!
  • transmute
    transmute Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean; I was the same.

It's actually not motivation that you need. It's dedication. You can be motivated as all hell, but if you're not dedicated to actually doing anything, nothing will actually happen. If you're not motivated at all, but fully dedicated to doing it anyway, you'll get your results. And if you're lucky, seeing your dedication pay off provides motivation, and it turns into a positive feedback loop.

I know that's not the answer you wanted, but if you think on it, it might be the answer you need.
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Try to look at it from a different perspective.
    A year from now, if you stick with it, you will be so happy that you did.
    I have been on MFP for almost 21 months now and did not even begin walking until last October, when I had lost almost 100#. Now, I am really glad I began moving more, it is a very positive thing, and I feel so much better. I got a fitbit one in February 2013 and it is my single best motivator.
  • Naturalhiker
    Options
    I agree with most of the others I too pack my bag everyday so when I want to go I just can go before or after work.
  • Vex3521
    Vex3521 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Mine's a bit different, I don't do the gym thing right now with finances and a self confidence issue. I used to live in the gym even after getting out of the Marines so the heavier out of shape person I am now makes it hard for me knowing what I "used to" be able to do. I'm down 15 in a month from doing exercises at my desk at work, a couple hikes on the weekends and cutting soda/teas and limiting my carbs while logging my food. Messed up my knee with a total graceless move this weekend but even with that I AM going out for a run today. If I can't run much I'll try to interval and run the flats and walk the hills and if that's a fail I'm walking for a 30min minimum.

The journey of 1,000 miles starts with a single step. Just have to start stepping =)
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    May be one change at a time. I agree you could be seen as having a long way to go but if you start by logging what you eat and see where the calories are being spent, then discover how to ensure you balance your calories or carbs, with fats and protein, sugar is a difficult one because this system does not differentiate between natural and added sugars possibly tracking fibre or other nutrient might be of greater help. In time you might find it easier to add in exercise be it walking or at the gym. The time for this is possibly when you want to tone muscles and find definition. Remember it is different for everyone and whereas it might be nice to see the number on the scales go down there could be times when the clothes fit is a greater indication of success.

Well done is starting out, making an effort is showing motivation.