You know you were born in the 50's and 60's if..............

Options
ziggy67
ziggy67 Posts: 351
Sadly I am too old to join the 70's & 80's thread...so here's one for the oldies among us! Here goes:

You know you were born in the 50's/60's if:

You owned a black and white TV set
People used to watch Dr Finlay's Casebook....and the dashing Dr Kildare
The cult TV show The prisoner & The Man from U.N.C.L.E
Beatlemania was rife
People wore wide flares, big ties and huge platforms
Hippy Power
It was safe to play outside till dusk
Oh...yes... children were seen and not heard!
Pleases and Thank You's were compulsory!

Memories.....

Replies

• rebsaganes
    rebsaganes Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    You played outside all day instead of sitting in front of video games;
    Had to get up to change the few channels you had on that black & white tv;
    Only had an AM transistor radio;
    Your mom had a beehive hairdo & loved Elvis.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    Sadly, I fit into this category. But those were the days. And I agree, Dr. Kildare was dashing! :heart: And I'll never forget Beattle mania. My mom thought her daughters were surely elilgible for the insane assylum. :laugh: She couldn't stand those "long haireds" and just couldn't understand why all the screaming from her daughters when the Beattles came on tv. :laugh: :laugh: Ohhh, good memories. :happy:
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    You played outside all day instead of sitting in front of video games;
    Had to get up to change the few channels you had on that black & white tv;
    Only had an AM transistor radio;
    Your mom had a beehive hairdo & loved Elvis.

We only had one channel and the rabbit ears. I can remember when our tv broke down the tv repairman came to our house to fix it.
  • needhams
    needhams Posts: 16
    Options
    and remember when switching off the black and white tv there was a white dot that took 15 mins to dissapear and at the end they played the national anthem , how about twizzle, torch the battery boy supercar fireball xl5 , those were the days lol
  • cafeteriagirl
    cafeteriagirl Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    if you got into trouble at school you would be spanked by the principal, or stand in the corner, no matter what when you got home you were spanked by mom
  • ziggy67
    ziggy67 Posts: 351
    Options
    oh yes....and remember when they lifted the ban on DH Lawrence's Lady Chatterleys Lover...and the bookshops sold out in a week!!
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    If you were born in the 50's and you still remember anything that's pretty good. :laugh: :tongue:
  • kathiehughes
    kathiehughes Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    You lip synced and choreographed your own dance to These Boots Are Made For Walking in the backyard with your girlfriends in the neighborhood.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    You walked to school.

You rode your bike everywhere.

Your mom threw you out of the house after breakfast when the weather was good and you'd best not come back in until the next meal.

You were only allowed to watch an hour of TV a day.

You learned to tell time on a real clock with hands and a face.

You had one phone in the house, and it was rotary dial, hung on the kitchen wall and had about a 20 foot cord that was tangled in a big knot at least once a day.

You actually had to WIN something to get a ribbon or a trophy.

You had chores from the time you could walk.
  • Lesliecs
    Lesliecs Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    if you remember President Kennedy being shot......
    ....watching Bozo the Clown...
    ...cars not having seat belts...
    ...not having lock your doors all the time...
    ...drive-in movies...
    ...Chatty Cathy...
    ...trees and green grass instead of buildings....
  • clarajean123
    clarajean123 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I was born in 1961. I remember wanting to go to a Beatles concert. I thought the word "groovie" was the in thing. And I remember my bell bottom pants getting caught in my bike chain as they flapped through the wind. Although, I never like guys with longer hair than girls, sometimes it was hard to tell who was who. TV stopped its programming around 1:00 am, and the star spangled banner would play each night. On friday nights my family would make pizza and popcorn while watching The Odd Couple and Love American Style.
    -Clara
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    ... when you got to see new episodes of The Munsters, Daniel Boone and Gilligans Island every week
    ... it was common for all the kids in the neighborhood to be at the house that had the biggest yard allllll day
    ... you could play at the beach barefoot
    ... you took baths once/twice a week (no showers)
    ... vacuum cleaners had multiple attachments that could do anything (sand floors, grind meat, cut hair, etc)
    ... cars had bench seats in the front
    ... phones were on party lines (if you had a phone)
    ... you had milk delivered in glass bottles
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    ... when you got to see new episodes of The Munsters, Daniel Boone and Gilligans Island every week
    ... it was common for all the kids in the neighborhood to be at the house that had the biggest yard allllll day
    ... you could play at the beach barefoot
    ... you took baths once/twice a week (no showers)
    ... vacuum cleaners had multiple attachments that could do anything (sand floors, grind meat, cut hair, etc)
    ... cars had bench seats in the front
    ... phones were on party lines (if you had a phone)
    ... you had milk delivered in glass bottles

I remember the milk man! Diaper men too! All of us were raised in cloth diapers. And the bench seats and as someone else mentioned, no seatbelts. And drive in movies.

And you went out to eat only a few times a year--someone was visiting, or it was a birthday or some other special occasion.

One of your parents probably smoked, too.
  • catbeers
    Options
    In my small Colorado town:

You drank well water straight from the hose,
    Swam in the irrigation ditch/ pond/ creek despite the fact there were cows/horses/sheep that occupied the same pasture,
    Followed the railroad tracks out of town for seemingly miles (think Stand by Me...ewww),
    played with ALL the kids in the area within 5 years of your age.

When it WAS time to get home, the whole neighborhood would ring with kid's names being called.
    Your friend's mom would come downstairs to their awesome playroom to ask if you wanted to stay for dinner...she would call your mom for the ok (or vice-versa, depending on which dinner was 'better'.
    When someone got a new appliance, the box made the coolest fort or playhouse... until the next rain.

Barbie accessories were found in the strangest places.
    Rusty Tonka trucks were unearthed from your back yard well into the 90's.
    You were glad that you were the oldest girl 'cause "hand-me-downs" were sooo passe.
    You didn't "expect" something to be bought especially for you at every store...not even a gumball.

Adults were always respected and obeyed -- they ALL had the authority to reprimand/punish you without fear of your parents sueing them for "causing harm" to their "precious angel".
    Lysol was only for really, REALLY nasty jobs, and your immune system is all the better for the germs you encountered and overcame.

....I could list hundreds!!!!
  • cndslee
    cndslee Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I remember having to go to the "bus stop" - not getting picked up at the front door
    the milk man delivered out milk into a box on the front porch
    we rode our bikes everywhere
    penny candy was... a penny and if you had a quarter you were RICH!
    We had an 8 track player in the car
    The phone hung on the wall.... and had a cord to the hand set
    We could play outside till the street lights came on
    Beach Boys concert was AWESOME! even with my mom LOL
    Aaawww.. the good old days.....
  • catfive1
    catfive1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    We had two black and white TV's. One for sound and the other for the picture.
  • KLiK3xs
    KLiK3xs Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    - Sunday night was Bonanza, Disney, Lassie
    - phone numbers first two characters were alphabet
    - leaving school early and crying with everyone else when JFK was shot, but didn't understand it.
    - watcing the Banana Splits
  • HarleyFatboyFan
    HarleyFatboyFan Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Leave It To Beaver Was Reality Tv

The whole family sat at a table and had dinner together

You knew what NASA stood for

There was only three stations to watch on the TV

You actually worked for your allowance
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    I recall all of that. Used to rush home to watch the Tarzan TV series and\, later, Bomba, the Jungle Boy. Abbot and Costello had their own 1/2 hour TV show.

Anyone remember what U.N.C.L.E. stood for? United Network Command of Law Enforcement?

We had chores to do. We could play outside until the strret lights came on. Didn't have to worry where you were at at lunchtime. Anybody;s Mom would feed you and my Mom would feed any and all of my friends.

Everybody knew everybody and watched out for their kids.

I used to walk two miles out of my way to pass by Pat Gallagher's house. Her and I eventually won a "Twist" contest at the sock hop in 1966.

There was no cell phone reception back then, but, then again, there were know cell phones. People spoke to each other.
  • Buddhasmiracle
    Buddhasmiracle Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    We seem to keep ourselves entertained with outdoor activities/games/sports in the summer. I recall the programs many of you cited, but I don't think we spent all that much time watching television. I remember the Ed Sullivan Show -- all the plate spinning acts, stand up comics (George Carlin!), the Beatles, Mamas and the Papas, the Stones, and the Doors. Not to mention going to Woodstock in '68 as a teen. Can over a half million peope get together these days without an incident at an outdoor festival?

Laugh In, Smothers Brothers (being pulled off the air because they were "controvercia-- they criticized the war in Vietnam and LBJ.

And the musical, Hair -- LBJ took the IRT down to 4th st USA/ When he got there what did he see?? the youth of America on LSD!