I did it! I cruised, I ate, and I survived!

Options

Replies

• samammay
    samammay Posts: 468
    Options

Hate when they hold guns and make me eat :bigsmile:

I know, right? We were in one of the Adult Only restaurants on the Disney Fantasy. I asked the waiter which was better between two of the entrees. His response "they are both great. Let me bring both for you and you can decide which is better yourself".

So that night I have 2 desserts and 2 entrees. And an app and soup and bread and a bottle of wine...

Most nights weren't like that though. The portions were reasonable and I made smart choices (while never dipping into the 'lighter choices' portion of the menu). All in all, it was great. I always felt like I was indulging, yet the net effect was 0 gain.

When I get back I won't tell you about my food or my... umm.... drinkage LOL Drinks alone will send me to oblivion....

Dont misunderstand - I drank at least 3 double martinis every night...
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Guess how many of these I have on my cruises :bigsmile:

Carnival+Elation+077+Past+Guest+Party+Fun+Ship+drink+by+Kat+Robinson.jpg
  • samammay
    Options
    Guess how many of these I have on my cruises :bigsmile:

Carnival+Elation+077+Past+Guest+Party+Fun+Ship+drink+by+Kat+Robinson.jpg

Per hour. :bigsmile:
  • mlauster
    mlauster Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Awesome!!!

We leave Feb 13th for our next 9 day cruise. I have already started stressing and planning. My plan is not have ice cream every time I walk past that stupid ice cream machine. I'm going to stick to 3 meals a day with small snacks, instead of what we called "pre meals" Pre lunch before actual lunch....pre dinner before actual dinner. Oh and how about ordering an entrée as a starter and a second one as your actual entrée...NOT this time!
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Awesome!!!

We leave Feb 13th for our next 9 day cruise. I have already started stressing and planning. My plan is not have ice cream every time I walk past that stupid ice cream machine. I'm going to stick to 3 meals a day with small snacks, instead of what we called "pre meals" Pre lunch before actual lunch....pre dinner before actual dinner. Oh and how about ordering an entrée as a starter and a second one as your actual entrée...NOT this time!

I will do all the above - including drinks... and sammy got it right on... 2 per hour :bigsmile:
  • Luuvy
    Luuvy Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Great job:flowerforyou:

I'm going on a cruise in January and I am definitely going to have some warm chocolate melting cake:tongue::happy: . Hopefully between eating in moderation and all the walking around the ship I won't gain to much. I'm on vacation so I won't be logging or anything so we'll see how it goes:wink:
  • kowajenn
    kowajenn Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Go you!

I cruised this past May and tried to be good. Like a coward I didn't weigh myself for a week after I got home and at that point had lost a pound or two. I think I mostly maintained on the cruise which is good enough!

We're going on another cruise in January and I'll have the same goal. I'm much closer to my goal weight now though so I might give myself a little more leeway for hitting up the dessert table.
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I'm going on the Norwegian Epic on Dec 7th. I hope I fair as well as everyone else, but I doubt it - I bought the all inclusive alcohol package and plan to take advantage of it. :laugh:
  • LyndaMRou
    LyndaMRou Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    That is AWESOME!! You're giving me hope for our 12 day cruise over Chinese New Year!
  • Vivian06703188
    Vivian06703188 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    For all the special days, vacations, birthdays and holidays. Enjoy the people you are with, don't go overboard but eat. The following days will make up for the splurge. Just remember that everyday is not a holiday and you have to pay the piper when you play. But as long as you keep it to specials occasions there is no reason not to enjoy yourself.
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    Way to go, that's amazing!!! :)
    A little under a month from now (woah, that feels so soon haha) I'll be going to Florida to spend Christmas with my family for two weeks. During this trip we'll be visiting a bunch of Disney theme parks, and eating out 80% of the time, so logging just won't be possible, boy am I nervous! I hope I do just as good as you lol, hopefully I'll be doing enough walking to make up for any temptations I may be too weak to turn down :x
  • ttknowles01
    ttknowles01 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!! I went on a 4-day cruise towards the end of September. I was worried about gaining, but I also took advantage of the gym while I was on the ship....surprisingly the gym was pretty crowded, and here I thought I would be one of few people in there lol
  • samammay
    Options
    I'm going on the Norwegian Epic on Dec 7th. I hope I fair as well as everyone else, but I doubt it - I bought the all inclusive alcohol package and plan to take advantage of it. :laugh:

Thats a nice looking ship. It was docked next to us in St Martin. Enjoy - the most you will truly gain in a pound or two. The rest is water/sodium and will be gone in days.
  • CorlissaEats
    CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I lost about 5lbs on my 10 day cruise last year (plus an extra 6 days in the port cities). We did almost daily excursions though so we were fairly active. Im also gluten free so that limited the snacking I could do and half the time I got served a plain meat with a baked potato with absolutely nothing on it. Lots of fruit and veggies. Im sure that caused the calories from dessert to balance out to a deficit.

My TDEE is also over 2000 so its not hard to have a deficit or hit equal on 3 meals and a snack per day. :smile: On days where we didnt make port we walked the perimeter of the ship a few times to work off the extras.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    LOL! After eating around 1200-1300 calories per day since the beginning of July, I was so concerned about weight gain on my cruise last week. I wanted to enjoy my cruise and eat freely, not pig out but not monitor every little bite. And I am back and happy to report that I ate lots and lots of delicious food, indulged on ice cream and desserts, drank unmeasured amounts of REAL soda, only to have gained 0.8 of a pound over 9 days. Then promptly dropped 3 pounds over the next two days because I think I was holding onto a bunch of water weight from the sodium.

And, of course, MFP rewarded me today by dropping my calorie intake to exactly 1200 calories per day. Boo.

That's wonderful you enjoyed your cruise and didn't make yourself feel uncomfortable by overeating to the hilt. I think everybody overeats on vacation too.

I'm so glad you had a good time.
  • lavaughan69
    lavaughan69 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit late to this conversation, but wanted to say thanks for posting. I leave on the 15th for a 7 day cruise (first time!) and I'm a little nervous about the weight gain. I plan on enjoying myself, but it won't be the food that kills my diet it will definitely be the alcohol!:drinker: I plan on devoting an entire day to martini's! My drink calories will be through the roof! And to top it off we get home on the 23rd of December and we have to go to a xmas eve cocktail party and then I'm cooking prime rib for xmas dinner!
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    Just don't be surprised by your bar bill at the end of the cruise. Those drinks ain't cheap! I drink very little on a cruise because of that.

I'm a bit late to this conversation, but wanted to say thanks for posting. I leave on the 15th for a 7 day cruise (first time!) and I'm a little nervous about the weight gain. I plan on enjoying myself, but it won't be the food that kills my diet it will definitely be the alcohol!:drinker: I plan on devoting an entire day to martini's! My drink calories will be through the roof! And to top it off we get home on the 23rd of December and we have to go to a xmas eve cocktail party and then I'm cooking prime rib for xmas dinner!
  • lavaughan69
    lavaughan69 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I'm getting the Cheers package, it's 49$ a day and you get 15 alcoholic drinks and unlimited soft drinks. That should be plenty!
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Well, got back yesterday from my 7 days cruise, and even after a $540 alcohol tab, I still managed to drop 4 lbs. :laugh:

Quite honestly, I definitely ate less than I would have at home. I especially wasn't snacking in the evenings like I do at home, plus did a lot of walking and battling of 10+ ft waves at the beach in Nassau. You wouldn't think that would be a good workout, but it is.
  • vniemo2
    vniemo2 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Last 8 day cruise I only gained 2lbs, doing a short little 4 day in January, and I hope to stay the same or lose on this cruise. Plan on taking advantage of the gym for the first time ever on a cruise, combined with all the walking in the ports. My first few cruises I would eat 2 apps, 2 entrees and 2 desserts in the MDR. My first cruise was a 5 day and I gained 10lbs.