No one seems to like cardio anymore...

Options

Replies

• Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I'm a cardio junkie! I love it! I love how I feel after an awesome workout ! I love it when I'm exhausted and can feel that I've worked my muscles. I also lift and have full body and targeted routines that I follow.

Do what works for you and what you will stick too. Also, after a while try the thing you disliked again. I used to hate running, but now I love it. I used to think lifting was for the birds, now I hate skipping it. For me it was getting to the point where I was capable of doing the workout that changed my thoughts towards it. I also have people pushing me and building me up and challenging me to do better in my life. Which really really helps.
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Not me, popped up in my feed the other day...

tumblr_mklnxy5mCW1rfcpbdo1_1280.jpg

Both, both is good.
  • LuLuChick78
    LuLuChick78 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Not me, popped up in my feed the other day...

tumblr_mklnxy5mCW1rfcpbdo1_1280.jpg

Both, both is good.

Wow, that is awesome! Great dedication!!!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I don't get why people actually argue about this. I guess it's silly to me beacuse I love both and weight loss and fat loss are not my only goals in life! I use all forms of exercise to improve my cardiovascular health, mental health, athletic ability, and yes, physique.

Also, more exercise = more beer.

Wise words - couldn't put it any better than this!!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I think most people have a balanced fitness regimen and do both. Perhaps it only seems as though nobody likes cardio anymore because lifting definitely gets pushed...largely because many people neglect that element of their fitness and do insane amounts of cardio and are really missing the boat.

In my experience, lifting gets "pushed" by people who aren't willing to do suitable cardio work and need to justify it. I see *way* more un-fit lifters than I do, e.g., unfit runners. Put another way - most runners I know do some sort of resistance training as well, most lifters I know avoid cardio like the plague.

Obviously this is an "n=1" type observation, the experiences of others may vary.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I think most people have a balanced fitness regimen and do both. Perhaps it only seems as though nobody likes cardio anymore because lifting definitely gets pushed...largely because many people neglect that element of their fitness and do insane amounts of cardio and are really missing the boat.

In my experience, lifting gets "pushed" by people who aren't willing to do suitable cardio work and need to justify it. I see *way* more un-fit lifters than I do, e.g., unfit runners. Put another way - most runners I know do some sort of resistance training as well, most lifters I know avoid cardio like the plague.

Obviously this is an "n=1" type observation, the experiences of others may vary.

Agreed with bolded. Also, it depends on your definition of fit, I guess.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Options

Also, more exercise = more beer.
    /thread
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    cardio was never fun for me which is part of the reason i rarely do it. there are other more enjoyable ways that i can get a good aerobic workout besides doing stead state cardio. i'd much rather dance, box, do a weighted complex, plyometrics, HIIT, etc

i also dont get why it's it's a such a big deal. why do people need other people to enjoy the same things they do?

who cares if other people dont find it fun? if you enjoy it, then do you.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Perhaps it is just me but I thought you needed to do some cardio to lose body fat. I know it can be boring at times but isn't it necessary to do in order to get leaner and lower your body fat? It's not that I'm a big fan or anything although I do love to run but I also lift weights too. It just seems that cardio isn't fun anymore.

Thoughts?

Cardio is definitely not dead ...........zumba
  • nomorebingesgirl2014
    nomorebingesgirl2014 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I like cardio x
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    Perhaps it is just me but I thought you needed to do some cardio to lose body fat. I know it can be boring at times but isn't it necessary to do in order to get leaner and lower your body fat? It's not that I'm a big fan or anything although I do love to run but I also lift weights too. It just seems that cardio isn't fun anymore.

Thoughts?

I like cardio, I love running, running keeps and has kept me sane in the past.

To be honest, I couldn't give a rat's butt who like what, all I know is I like cardio and it keeps me in shape,

Cardio is what you make it, if you don't like it, don't do it.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Options
    tumblr_inline_mqgfghpUfT1qz4rgp.gif

Yes!! Where I live a bar sponsors the 5k crossfit run! it's a 5k, with crossfit stations all throughout it, followed by beer specials!!
    it's win/win/win and my favorite workout!!!

WHOOT WHOOT!!
  • splashtree2
    splashtree2 Posts: 277
    Options
    the only cardio i ised to do it was Insanity that was a workput as well now i run or i bike....is ok i get bored not listening music...
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    The only real cardio I do is about 45-60 minutes per week of HIIT or cardio kickboxing via FitnessBlender. If you see me out on the street running, you better run too because something scary as hell is coming up behind me. I prefer lifting and I've gotten better results lifting with little cardio than I did without lifting and a lot of cardio. Plus, I'm a lot less miserable now.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I LOVE cardio. If I could do only cardio and look the way I want, I would.

But I lift as well for balance.

The thing is, it's ALL good. Do what you like.
  • SrMaggalicious
    SrMaggalicious Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I do cardio for my Heart and whole cardiovascular system. I also like that 'high'. If you have a great physique but an ailing heart, what good is it? I use my diet for calorie deficit, and I weight train x4 days a week.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    The reality is a well-tuned physique requires a combination of strength (from resistance training) and a strong cardiovascular system (from lots of cardio), and that's not going to change for a long long time.

Exactly.
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    e who are in lifting programs already have an amazing bill of health when it comes to their hearts so the cardio that they get from weight lifting (because yes, people tend to decide in advance that weight lifting does NOT have cardio benefits - dont ask me why - my heart rate goes nuts and i am out of breath at the end - geez) and their warm ups and cool downs is sufficient.

This right here^^ I fully agree. There are times after a set that I am more out of breath than after any run I have been on. But get this, I just start to catch my breath and I will have to do another set. Now, don't get me wrong, I use to be all about the running and I still do some, but I do not love it anymore.

FYI, with the little running I do do, I have a RHR of 46. So it doesn't take much cardio to improve heart health.

I am doing less of it though because I believe it is effecting my lifting. In fact I am in a quandry on how to handle it going forward. I don't think I am getting enough recovery for my lifting by doing cardio 2 to 3 days a week and it is hurting my lifting. I lift 3 days a week as will with 10 minutes of HIIT at the end of every lifting session.
  • tcamp02
    tcamp02 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Cardio works your heart and lungs to keep those healthy, strength training works your other muscles to keep those strong. Flexibility training keeps you flexible and helps prevent injury. You need to include a good balance of all three in your training plan to be healthy, lose weight and have long term fitness.
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I think I get on a lot better with cardio now that I don't think about it as cardio. I want to be a more confident and proficient swimmer so I swim regularly and work on skill and stamina and enjoy the process, so it ceases to be just cardio.

Same with strength training. I want the strength to be able to pursue my yoga with more ease, energy and confidence so I practice the strength work I need to be better at what I enjoy. So it isn't just necessary strength work any longer its part of a bigger picture.

I agree with the idea of balance across the areas of strength, stamina and suppleness. I would also add that regardless of what is best for what according to however many people on here or elsewhere, the most important thing is to do what you enjoy and what is most likely to help you achieve your long term goals. That way, you will be more likely to keep your training up, because it is more personal to you.