Any recommended strength training workout plans?

Options
So, my personal trainer is dealing with some personal stuff, and won't be able to see me for a while (I have no idea how long, but I'm expecting at least through the holidays) so I've just been doing the workouts she had already made up for me. I'm starting to get bored though, and have been thinking about new workout plans to get/buy/follow. I've tried mixing things up on my own, but it just doesn't feel right.

I follow Krissy Mae Cagney on twitter/instagram, so I've been thinking about getting one of her six week plans, or the Rebel Fitness Guide from NerdFitness. Has anyone tried anything from either of those people?

Does anyone have other recommendations? I'm looking for lifting guides, I don't care as much about eating guides as my trainer got me set up on a plan that is really working for me. I also would prefer something that deals more with weights than body weight, as I tend to have to modify most body weight stuff to the point where it kind of feels discouraging doing it.

Replies

• Ian_Stuart
    Ian_Stuart Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    If you are looking for just strength training stuff, I recommend starting strength. Most of the information is online and Mark Rippetoe knows his stuff. The Rebel fitness plan also looked good. I assume you have read the NerdFitness article about Staci the powerlifting hero? If not, I highly recommend it. Feel free to add me to discuss picking up heavy things.
  • bowbeforethoraxis
    bowbeforethoraxis Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Thank you! My library has Starting Strength stuff so I'll make sure to check it out today! And I love Staci the powerlifting hero.

I'm still fairly new to weight lifting, so finding these guides is amazing. I feel like I want to learn ALL the weightlifting things!
  • TpocketT60
    TpocketT60 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    +1 to Starting Strength. Its truly the best source of information for beginning lifters and will get you on the right path towards great strength gains. The biggest thing to focus on is form! Get your form right, then slowly add the weight.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Starting Strength isn't very exciting though, and you said you were getting bored with your old routine. A good alternative to Starting Strength is Stronglifts 5x5, very similar and basic program (so... probably also boring). Though Starting Strength has volumes of information on how to do the big 4 lifts... which is very important.

You might also consider New Rules of Lifting for Women. Great info for women about lifting, along with guidance on the lifts, and while I usually say the program at the end of the book is "fluffy", it still incorporates the big lifts (which is paramount) and it might have the kind of variety you need to stay interested.
  • navy_taxi
    Options
    Another thumbs up for NROLFW.

I had previously dabbled with some routines I'd found online (I'd also recommend checking out the full-body training plans on Stumptuous) but NROLFW gave me a bit more structure and progression, as well as containing a wide range of exercises to learn. I found it to be a really enjoyable programme to complete and plan to do it again in January (after I finish Turbo Fire). It is varied, has you gradually work up to using more weight for fewer reps, and has the option of mixing in metabolic/interval work (I have such a love-hate relationship with the Bodyweight Matrix). Plus, by the end I could actually do unassisted chin-ups (admittedly only 2, but that was massively impressive for me!).
  • drericaz
    Options
    I would recommend P90X. It has a great combination of weights, strengthening moves, stretching. You don't have to do the whole program. You can just use some of the workouts.
  • tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Jus posted this in another thread but here...

Workout A
    Squat 5 x5
    Bench Press 5 x5
    Barbell Row 5 x5
    Incline Curl 3x8
    Dips 3x 8

Workout B
    Overhead Press 5 x5
    Close Grip Bench Press 5 x5
    Deadlift 1 x5
    Skullcrusher 3 x 8
    Chin Ups 3 x 8

Alternate the two routines on Mon/Tues (Rest Weds) then alternate Thurs/Fri with a weight you can complete 5 x 5.

Either up the weight by 5lbs each successful session or add a rep until you reach 10 reps then re-evaluate your weights and start over at 5x 5

Do this for a year or so and you'll look better 99% of women on any beach in the whole universe.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I'd +1 any of the recs for Starting Strength, Stronglifts, NROLFW. All solid strength training programs as far as I can tell.

But what is your current routine, and why are you bored with it? Not enough variety of lifts? Not seeing results? Too complicated or long?

SS and SL aren't exactly "interesting", as you have a limited number of lifts you actually do. But they are very structured, and you know what you are going to be doing; go to the gym and just do it. As you increase the weight every time, seeing progression can be very satisfying. Addictive, even! [NROL4W is similar, but a bit more varied I think, but I haven't done it].
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Time under Tension is my preferred.
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Saucy_lil_Minx Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    I am a first time lifter, and am doing the NRoL4W, and loving it!
  • teaparty75
    Options

Workout A
    Squat 5 x5
    Bench Press 5 x5
    Barbell Row 5 x5
    Incline Curl 3x8
    Dips 3x 8

Workout B
    Overhead Press 5 x5
    Deadlift 1 x5
    Skullcrusher 3 x 8
    Chin Ups 3 x 8

Alternate the two routines on Mon/Tues (Rest Weds) then alternate Thurs/Fri with a weight you can complete 5 x 5.

Either up the weight by 5lbs each successful session or add a rep until you reach 10 reps then re-evaluate your weights and start over at 5x 5

Do this for a year or so and you'll look better 99% of women on any beach in the whole universe.

i like this ! i just started stronglifts AFTER completing a 12 week beginner program that had me lifting 5 x week - diff body part each day ...my first stronglift workout went very well BUT i felt like something was missing in the bicep/tricep area - thanks for sharing !!
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    OP would benefit the most from a simple plan on using the fundamentals before she starts worrying about accessory work.

Bench and BB rows hit the triceps plenty. The only thing missing from the SL 5x5 routine really is biceps, but you can just throw some 3x8 or 3x12 curls on that one. Oh, and don't forget to do abs too. Much more important that biceps, you can do 3-4 x 12 cable crunches.

TANGENT:

Also, I don't do close grip bench myself because they made my wrists hurt (though I may have done them too "close" when I tried them months ago). Is it wise to work in the 5 rep range with close grips? Given all the other lifts, isn't this a hypertrophy exercise? why not 3 x 8/12?
  • tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options

Also, I don't do close grip bench myself because they made my wrists hurt (though I may have done them too "close" when I tried them months ago). Is it wise to work in the 5 rep range with close grips? Given all the other lifts, isn't this a hypertrophy exercise? why not 3 x 8/12?

-- you're correct. 5x5 was a typo for close grip. Should have been 3x8. Adding core is also a great comment.
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    I have done New Rules, PHAT, and 5/3/1. I love them all, but I would say new rules is more for beginners.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    New Rules moved away from the compound lifts too quickly in my opinion, after Phase 1. I recommend Nia Shanks.
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    New Rules moved away from the compound lifts too quickly in my opinion, after Phase 1. I recommend Nia Shanks.

The only reason people like New Rules is because it says "For Women" in the title. It has such poor explanations and diagrams for how to do lifts (especially squats).
  • bowbeforethoraxis
    bowbeforethoraxis Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Great recommendations guys! Thanks!

I'm not exactly a beginner, I've been working with a trainer regularly for 4 months, know (and do) the proper form for everything (and I lift with a much more experienced friend, who keeps an eye on my form for me), I just am kind of tired of going in, picking up the sheet that has the workout, and doing the same leg stuff every leg day, same arm stuff every arm day, same core stuff every core day and so on. But, I don't yet feel I know enough to swap out things to change it up on my own, like I'm assuming one day I could do barbell hip raises instead of a weighted bridge, but I don't know for sure so I don't want to change it up. I just do much better with a guide that tells me exactly what to do, but isn't super repetitive.

I also do yoga every day (90 minute class 3x/week, 20-60 minutes on my own at home) for the mental benefits and to get some good stretching in,. My main goal is losing weight, but I also do want to get stronger. So far I'm doing pretty well with both those goals (I can squat 50 lbs for 3x12 now! started with just bodyweight, and I think I'm going to need more weight soon!), but I'm just feeling a little lost without a trainer, hence the need for the recommendations.

Again, thanks everyone! I'll definitely be checking these titles out at the library over the holiday weekend.
  • navy_taxi
    Options

The only reason people like New Rules is because it says "For Women" in the title. It has such poor explanations and diagrams for how to do lifts (especially squats).

Not necessarily.

Yes, it is an easy selling point marketing wise, but more than just having the words "for women" in the title it also goes to great lengths to counter the conventional advice giving to women trying to lose weight. As someone who had worked out for years (DVDs, classes, various cardio, and dabbled with heavy lifting) I still found it reassuring to have a programme that explained what to do, why to do it, and how to do it. Although, I do agree that there is probably not enough focus on the major compound lifts, and would recommend looking outside of the book for instructions on form.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

Not necessarily.

Yes, it is an easy selling point marketing wise, but more than just having the words "for women" in the title it also goes to great lengths to counter the conventional advice giving to women trying to lose weight. As someone who had worked out for years (DVDs, classes, various cardio, and dabbled with heavy lifting) I still found it reassuring to have a programme that explained what to do, why to do it, and how to do it. Although, I do agree that there is probably not enough focus on the major compound lifts, and would recommend looking outside of the book for instructions on form.

I agree, there is a lot of good info for women in the book, it tackles a lot of myths and addresses things like how hormones effect women, which you would not find in a general lifting manual not geared specifically for women. But I felt the workouts were unnecessarily complicated.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Workout A
    Squat 5 x5
    Bench Press 5 x5
    Barbell Row 5 x5
    Incline Curl 3x8
    Dips 3x 8

Workout B
    Overhead Press 5 x5
    Deadlift 1 x5
    Skullcrusher 3 x 8
    Chin Ups 3 x 8

i like this ! i just started stronglifts AFTER completing a 12 week beginner program that had me lifting 5 x week - diff body part each day ...my first stronglift workout went very well BUT i felt like something was missing in the bicep/tricep area - thanks for sharing !!
    Bench gives plenty of triceps work, Pendlay rows give plenty of biceps work. Plus OHP also hits the triceps.