Lifting beginner here

Options
I'm 55lb down and looking for a change of direction. I'm 30 and hit the gym 4/5 days a week. It's like tunnel vision in that I go straight to the treadmill bypassing all the guys lifting.

I'm kind of in maintenance but now want to tone and work on that ideal beach body for next summer.

Problem is I genuinely have NO IDEA what to do. I've tried a bit of lifting since May but nothing decent. I'm pretty weak too.

I need some advice as I intend to be as serious about lifting as I was about my cardio.

Really appreciate any advice. Cheers!

Replies

• navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    Start with compound lifts, Squats, deadlifts, Bench press, rows, and some sort of clean when you get more comfortable. I also like to do pull-ups, dips, overhead press, and then I'll add in a few accessory lifts like curls, shrugs, triceps extensions, and things along those lines.

I try to keep it to about 6 exercises per session. On compounds I'll typically do 5 sets of 5-8, on accessory I'll do 3 sets of 8-12. Usually about 25-30 total sets per session.

Lift heavy on your compounds, rep #5 should be difficult to the point that you dread it, if you can do 8-10 reps you should up the weight. Accessory lifts are a little different, you should still lift heavy, once you can get to 12 reps I up the weight.

The most important thing is form, any jackwagon can put up 8-10 really ugly reps with more weight than they car handle, you should be able to maintain form, if you up the weight and find that your form goes to crap, drop back down and work on your form. Lifts should be smooth, if you have to go into convulsions in order to move the weight because you need momentum, you're doing it wrong.

Add me if you want,

Rigger
  • jonswife0206
    jonswife0206 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Hi! If your interest is free weights, you may want to read New Rules of Lifting. This book gives you workouts of the major muscle groups and also explains technique and some of the "why" behind the moves. It will break down how many sets/reps and the recommended order to get you started. Your local library may even have a copy to view before making a purchase-mine did.

You can also research workouts using your own body weight which will increase your strength, recomp your body, and kick your behind. Good luck!
  • tyrsnbdr
    tyrsnbdr Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Start with compound lifts, Squats, deadlifts, Bench press, rows, and some sort of clean when you get more comfortable. I also like to do pull-ups, dips, overhead press, and then I'll add in a few accessory lifts like curls, shrugs, triceps extensions, and things along those lines.

I try to keep it to about 6 exercises per session. On compounds I'll typically do 5 sets of 5-8, on accessory I'll do 3 sets of 8-12. Usually about 25-30 total sets per session.

Lift heavy on your compounds, rep #5 should be difficult to the point that you dread it, if you can do 8-10 reps you should up the weight. Accessory lifts are a little different, you should still lift heavy, once you can get to 12 reps I up the weight.

The most important thing is form, any jackwagon can put up 8-10 really ugly reps with more weight than they car handle, you should be able to maintain form, if you up the weight and find that your form goes to crap, drop back down and work on your form. Lifts should be smooth, if you have to go into convulsions in order to move the weight because you need momentum, you're doing it wrong.

Add me if you want,

Rigger

This is great advice. I would add: Why create a workout from scratch when you don't know what you're doing? There are millions of workout expamles online, find one that meets your workout schedule (3 day, 4 day, 5 day, or 6 day splits) and evulate its effectiveness based on Rigger's critereia.

Then use google/youtube to find learn the proper technique to each move. And sometimes, you can find other lifters who are friendly and will help you out.

Enjoy your journey.
  • mayflowermn
    mayflowermn Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I'm 55lb down and looking for a change of direction. I'm 30 and hit the gym 4/5 days a week. It's like tunnel vision in that I go straight to the treadmill bypassing all the guys lifting.

I'm kind of in maintenance but now want to tone and work on that ideal beach body for next summer.

Problem is I genuinely have NO IDEA what to do. I've tried a bit of lifting since May but nothing decent. I'm pretty weak too.

I need some advice as I intend to be as serious about lifting as I was about my cardio.

Really appreciate any advice. Cheers!

Congrats on the 55!

Had to chuckle at your comment about your tunnel vision....on the days I hit the treadmill for cardio, I'm pining away for the weights! lol

My man & I started lifting April 2012 but heard alot of good things about 5 X 5 workouts and were ready to change things up a bit in our workouts so decided to give it a go a few months ago. We have been using this as a guide:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/wotw56.htm (the first workout listed that's by BurningHeart).

I really enjoy the challenges of the compound exercises and it's helped me become more confident with using the squat rack/barbell. Definitely seen gains in what we are able to lift.

Best of luck to you & have fun with lifting!
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    NROL

http://www.amazon.com/The-New-Rules-Lifting-Maximum/dp/158333338X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1385516225&sr=8-1&keywords=new+rules+of+lifting

Starting Strength

http://www.amazon.com/Starting-Strength-3rd-Mark-Rippetoe/dp/0982522738/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1385516244&sr=8-1&keywords=starting+strength

Stronglift 5X5

http://stronglifts.com/

Stronglifts is free, quite similar to SS, although SS is a great book to start with.

all 3 are great beginner programs but personally I liked SS much more. The book is a great reference and there are plenty of good videos on youtube to help with form!

Good luck and grats on the 55! That's awesome!! :)