Hot, Healthy, Lunch?

Options
2»

Replies

• BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    I agree with leftovers or soups. If ready made make it easier for you, it doesn't take much effort to throw together a pot of soup on Sunday and portion it out into 5 or 6 containers for the week. You can always supplement it with anything you want on the side if you feel like it's not enough.

Chili is great (I do ground beef or turkey, onions, garlic, diced peppers - whatever color - to up the veggie content, red kidney beans, and a large can/jar of diced tomatoes, and then season to taste w/ salt, pepper, chili powder, garlic powder, cumin and cayenne pepper). Or, I do chicken soup a lot, and there's SO many different things you can do. Roast off some boneless/skinless breasts (or get a rotisserie chicken from the store), shred or dice them. Have a box of reduced sodium/fat free chicken broth on hand. Then - saute whatever veggies you feel like in a bit of olive oil (onions, garlic, peppers, carrots, celery, root veggies, whatever you want), then once they're soft throw in the chicken and broth and season with whatever you like, and simmer for awhile. If you want to add beans or greens, do it towards the end; if you want to add noodles or rice, cook it separately and just add it to the containers when you pack it up. Done. TONS of options, super easy, and pretty healthy.

I really want chili now. my problem is...i love it so much, i can't stay away from it!

No need, lol! I don't think so, anyway. If you drain the meat (heh...sorry, I'm a 12 year old boy at heart :laugh: ) - which I prefer just from a taste perspective - and don't go overboard on toppings, chili packs an amazing nutritional punch! Super high in protein, high fiber from the beans, lots of vitamins and minerals from the tomatoes and other veggies, and really filling...I like to add just a touch of sour cream and cheese and then some avocado for healthy fats. It seriously could be one of the more perfect balanced meals (in one bowl)! Lol, now *I* want chili! :smile:
  • crash_aly
    Options
    Something really easy that I enjoy is ground turkey (seasoned usually with a little pepper and garlic salt) in a bowl with salsa or brown rice! Occasionally I will add some cheese instead of salsa (pepperjack or swiss usually). So yummy and easy! I generally brown a lb or two of lean turkey and then just incorporate it into different meals throughout the week! I do drain the turkey after browning.
  • rachelkharr
    Options
    I make a really good burrito-like wrap. I cook diced bell peppers, onions, and chicken in a pan with tbsp of olive oil, put it in a wheat tortilla wrap with black beans and brown rice (fiber, which keeps me full), along with salsa, maybe spread some hummus on the tortilla, chilli pepper, and cumin, then roll it up. Wrap it with foil to keep the tortilla from getting hard. Then for lunch time heat it up in the microwave and eat it with a tbsp of plain greek yogurt (tastes JUST like sour cream).
    It's SO delicious! keeps you full and depending on how you make it, its between 400-500 calories. :)
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I like turkey chili. If you don't mind, what all do you put in it? I used to put ground turkey, a can of tomato sauce, a pack of chili seasoning, pinto beans, and red kidney beans. I'm not sure if that's the way to go.

All of your stuff, plus a can (or 2) of diced tomatoes, a diced onion, and a few shakes of cayanne. Sometimes I also add diced sweet potato and a little cinnamon. It's awesome!
  • ailixia
    ailixia Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I just made this - and it was great!
    http://veganyumminess.com/veggie-tofu-scramble/

You can adjust it however you want, add some extra veggies, or meat if you want. Eat it on a whole wheat tortilla or with some multi grain crackers!
  • AlexisT413
    Options
    Oatmeal! Not just for breakfast :P super filling and very customizable, you can mix just about anything in there. sweet, savory, spicy... fruits, nuts, milk, bacon, the sky is the limit. I really love oatmeal *^__^* haha

I used to hate oatmeal for years because I remember there being something squishy in it about 12-15 years ago. Yeah.. I'm picky like that. Now I realize it was little apples in the cinnamon apple pack. My bf convinced me to give it another try a few weeks ago, and I'm hooked! I never used to eat breakfast, and now I'm excited for my morning meal! Cinnamon is my favorite!