Does anyone else throw up after working out?

Options
2»

Replies

• SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options
    You can feel nauseous while or after working out if you:
    -Push yourself too hard
    -Haven't eaten enough recently
    -Have eaten too close to your workout (especially aerobic exercise, not usually anaerobic)
    -If you are pre-diabetic or diabetic if you haven't eaten very recently.
    -Not hydrated enough
    -Hydrated very excessively
    -Overheat too much
    -Wear a tight constricting weight belt and/or clothing and strain with it on
    -Have one of several other medical conditions... have a medical checkup recently? Definitely get a checkup if one of the above isnt true for you.

Pay attention to your body and see what happens as you make changes after you get a checkup.
  • Hestion
    Hestion Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    Maybe experiment, what machines are you using, what intensity etc? Go to 1 for a day, lower intensity and see what happens, maybe a particular thing at a particular level makes you ill? I have to be careful with the rowing machine
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    Have you tried to modify your workout in any way to check the impact?

After what my body (not my mind) perceives as a hard workout, if I don't eat something I will want to vomit. This is usually only after an extremely intenese workout though - like 10 miles of speedwork.

However, every one is different. You are new to it. Your body may not be capable 100% of what you want it to be capable of yet!

Good luck! I would also consider speaking with a physician if it doesn't resolve itself.
  • Imabemee
    Options
    I have but it was only because of pushing myself too hard and not paying attention to my water intake- sometimes it was too much sometimes not enough. But it is infrequent and shouldn't be an normal occurrence.
  • jesmith86
    Options
    Ah, I get this feeling when I drink too much water in the early part of my workout with my trainer and then he makes me do box jumps and burpees......then I puke when I get home LOL!

I would recommend backing off and slowly getting your body used to it, I do the same; go like a bull at a gate but easing yourself into it would be my recommendation from my own experience when I started doing some hard exercises :)
  • MickeyBoo
    MickeyBoo Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    If I eat too soon or a slightly bigger meal anywhere up to an hour to even an hour and a half before I workout at some point I feel nauseas, although I don't get sick and I space my meals and workouts so that it doesn't happen now.

The only other time I came very close to both throwing up and passing out mid squats reps was because I had a chest infection starting up and didn't realise just how crap I was feeling till I pushed myself too far.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    If you drink a lot while training, you can also get this.
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I have when I pushed myself too hard and the intensity was too much. Try something less intense when you're first starting out. Go at your own pace. Don't have to go all full out until you feel your body is ready. I took exercise slow and steady in the beginning to avoid this.
  • splashtree2
    Options
    How long before working out are you eating? I have thrown up before, but very rarely. Only when pushing too hard, or on a full stomach.

i eat a couple of hours before and i'm ok usually is the intense workout that provoke it and is a good sign as well means you worked good
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Yeah it doesn't seem like an issue with pre-workout eating, since you said there was a good 4 hours between meal time and exercise.

It could just be that you're pushing yourself too hard. You can be the judge of that, make sure you're taking things slowly at first. Speed, strength, distance... they all come with time. Start light, work up (this is a virtue of experienced runners and lifters).

If that's not the case, then you might want to see a doctor. You shouldn't be throwing up if you're taking it easy. Remember exercise is about being smart and making yourself better, not just burning calories and definitely not about running yourself into the ground.
  • lyzmorrison
    lyzmorrison Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    They are puking their guts up on The Biggest Loser.
    When I run I feel like I could throw up. I think it's just part of getting used to hard workout.
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    I get a little nauseated right after a heavy lifting day, but it goes away pretty quickly. I never eat for about 2-3 hours before exercise, mostly because I teach Zumba, and wouldn't want to have to burp or get indigestion in the middle of class. Lol. ;) You could try not eating prior to exercise. If that doesn't work, I would talk to your doctor.
  • BlindHog25
    BlindHog25 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    What are you throwing up? If it's food then I would probably reduce how much you are eating pre-workout. I've felt like this a couple of times but only when pushing myself VERY hard. Back off a bit since you just started out. The biggest thing is to stick with it. It took years to put weight on, it doesn't come off in hours!
  • PrettyPearl88
    PrettyPearl88 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    So I have this problem. I always feel nauseous and sometimes throw up after working out. I just started working out three weeks ago and I really love working out but I don't like being sick afterwards. Any advice or tips on how I could avoid this? Thanks!

Oi! That doesn't sound good! :frown:

I've never thrown up after a workout, but I have felt quite sick several times. It was always because I either pushed myself too hard, didn't drink enough water that day, didn't eat enough food, didn't get enough sleep the night before (I get dizzy and nauseous when I'm sleep deprived), did some kind of exercise that involved spinning or hanging my head (I'm also very sensitive to motion sickness), or ESPECIALLY some combination of those things lol.

My head and my stomach are quite sensitive and I can feel dizzy, lightheaded, and nauseous rather easily. So I have to stay in tune with my body and pay real close attention to exactly how I'm feeling and what my body is telling me. I've learned how to tell the difference between when my brain is telling me "I don't feel like pushing harder, let's just take it easy and relax" and when my body is telling me "I physically CAN'T push any harder, ease it down or I'm GOING to collapse!" With the former, I just push through because I know it's all mental. But for the latter, I definitely take it a little easier for a few minutes because I know I'm at my limit.

I also always make sure to eat healthy food, to wait AT LEAST one hour after eating anything before working out, to drink enough water throughout the entire day, to not drink TOO much coffee lol, to not do any exercise that will trigger motion sickness, and ESPECIALLY to make sure I'm getting adequate sleep. I will NEVER workout if I've slept less than 4 hours the night before. If I had to stay up late the night before for someone reason and slept only like an hour, I skip my workout that day. (That one ALWAYS makes me feel sick, every single time! So I've learned my lesson by now lol!)

Give some of those suggestions a try, as well as many of the other great suggestions others have said. But definitely talk to your doctor as well, especially if none of these apply to you and you're still throwing up. Because that's not normal. You really shouldn't be feeling sick after you workout.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    my boyfriend lifts weights as heavy as he can until he throws up, thats how he determines when he's hit his max rep.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    my boyfriend lifts weights as heavy as he can until he throws up, thats how he determines when he's hit his max rep.

THAT is bad advice...
  • PrettyPearl88
    PrettyPearl88 Posts: 368 Member
    Options

THAT is bad advice...

Agreed. Sounds like a recipe for rhabdo. :laugh:
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options

If he throws up 3 times a week when training then he's going to damage his teeth and oesophagus.