How often to weigh in?

Options

Replies

• gman94568
    gman94568 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I usually weigh every morning and night (when I am in that bathroom). As far as MFP, I track my weight on weekly weigh-in--same day of the week in the morning.
  • staycfitz
    Options
    I weigh daily in am after voiding before hitting shower I like to see where I am each day so I know to either reward or watch my intake for the day. I also bought a wifi scale which allows me to track and see my progress on my iPhone :smile:
  • doctorandrew
    Options
    Daily for me. I love data.
  • DeterminedToLoseIt02
    Options
    Every Friday, naked, after I use the bathroom. It discourages me to see huge fluctuations, even if I know they're just that -- fluctuations.
  • dettiot
    dettiot Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, it's all about what works for you--whether weighing more frequently than once a week will mess with your head. I weigh myself a few times a week--usually when I'm getting ready to shower, because I have to step on my scale to turn on the faucet. :-) But I only record once a week, typically on Wednesday mornings after my workout. That way I can keep tabs on my progress during the week, but I don't sweat too much if I haven't lost anything.
  • rjb1311
    rjb1311 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    twice a day. first thing in the morning and before I go to bed. I find that if I don't weigh myself that I lose some accountability. Also, I think once I stop weighing myself religiously that I will eventually stop recording my food diary. I'm a bit OCD like that!
  • JustMeee333
    Options
    I record my weight once a week... always weigh first thing in the morning, I used to weigh in on a Monday, but have since changed it to Friday. I do sometimes weigh 3/4/5/6/7 times a week, but only ever record it on my actual weigh day.
  • chocolateoatmeal
    Options
    Lol same. I actually put my scale in the top shelf of my closet and just use my tape every 4 to 6 weeks, because if you're lifting and gaining muscle the numbers can be a little skewed.
  • LosingItForGood13
    LosingItForGood13 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Myself I weight myself every 2 weeks because weighing everyday was making me crazy
  • red8424
    red8424 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I am trying to break up with my scale but it's so hard! The scale can be a b-word sometimes. I weigh almost every day but I only log it once a week, if that. I find that when I go out of town and don't weigh every day, I feel better about myself and usually end up weighing less when I get home anyway. I do measurements frequently but since I am close to my goal, not much changes there anymore.
  • jillianash
    jillianash Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Eh, I weigh in every day and use a spread sheet to document. I don't freak out though if the number changes from day to day. I just like looking at the spread sheet and seeing how it decreases overtime. I do it every morning RIGHT after using the restroom ;)

Bump.

I am going to try this method. I was graphing my caloric intake this morning and I want to be able to Measure my TDEE accurately for next month so i needto know my weight more often.

Before that I avoided the Scale like it was a plague. Gets to your head sometimes.
  • mrandolph69
    mrandolph69 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Daily.
  • AlyssamR6712
    AlyssamR6712 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    For me, I weigh myself same time-same day, weekly. Everyone is different though. My advice is to limit to once a week maybe even less, because your weight will fluctuate. Stress plays a big role factor in this, and for females, menstrual cycle is a HUGE factor. I have a fitness page and wanted to address this so i used myself as a test subject. Yesterday i weighed in at 126.7, today i weighed in at 123.4. Hope this helps!

15188748.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • IsaacHudson
    IsaacHudson Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day. It helps to deal with fluctuations.
  • Artaxia
    Artaxia Posts: 185
    Options
    I suggest once a week.
  • 50poundshed
    Options
    I weigh myself probably 3 times a day! It's actually becoming an issue for me I think I might give my scale to someone I trust to only give it to me on Monday morning to weigh in once a week!
  • Still1Workoutatatime
    Options
    I don't , the mirror tell me there is still work to be done
  • tiggerlgh
    tiggerlgh Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I weigh in daily when I am at home, I have the Aria scale so it automatically logs here and my fitbit account I don't mind fluctuations. But I am a little afraid of weighing in on Monday after Thanksgiving weekend away.
  • Ejourneys
    Ejourneys Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily. These days I record only when my weight drops.
    I got into the habit of daily weighing and recording in 2001-2002. During that weight loss I took a weekly average:
    8058380998_ed08a62411_b.jpg

The averages give a smoother decrease than either daily or weekly numbers because the fluctuations are evened out.

These days I log only a decrease in weight. Here's what that looks like:
    9438601206_5697c632db_z.jpg

(I've lost another 7.5 pounds since I generated the graph.)

The slope of my weight loss keeps getting shallower as I get closer to goal, meaning my rate of loss keeps getting slower. This is natural and is to be expected. During plateaus my weight fluctuates up and back down, before it drops again; so far my longest plateau has been 48 days. Sure I feel impatient from time to time, but I know I'm doing the right things and I'm cool with that. I'll get there when I get there.
  • Vnm77
    Vnm77 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Love ur graph! What a great idea! I believe in daily or at least almost daily weigh-ins. I know weight fluctuates but this helps me stay on track...bc I want to see the smaller numbers on my scale not larger ones!