Majority of people running with dogs

Options
leslisa
leslisa Posts: 1,350 Member
Thank you for not letting your dog use me a bait so he/she will run faster.

I didn't realize someone would actually do this until a woman did it today. She wasn't running very fast, kind of pulling the dog, let me pass and then - that's right. The dog sped up to chase me. They stayed right behind me for about a mile and then I was so freaked I turned around and made a wide circle and ran around them the other way. Luckily she continued on the way they were going (again 1/2 dragging dog).

So - And I am more serious than I could ever imagine - thank you so much to all dog owners who don't use me to bait their dogs into running faster. I was so freaked out I ran home, only putting in 4.75 miles instead of the 7 I had planned...

Replies

• Mahihkan
    Mahihkan Posts: 162
    Options
    I dont know why... but I wanna laugh so hard on this one...

You afraid of dogs?
  • leslisa
    leslisa Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    Nope. Not even a little. But dogs that chase have a prey instinct. As a conscientious runner I would be stupid to assume the dog does not consider me prey and just wants to "play".
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    That's very odd. I run with my 2 dogs, though not together. Max my Weim would reach speeds way in excess of what I could run, and I spend time pulling him back from wanting to chase a bicycle or a cat. My cocker spaniel accompanies me at Park Runs, but she just seems to "join in" the running, rather than be chasing a particular person. And she's more likely to get distracted by a bird, rather than a human.

I know how you feel, though - I was walking both of them at the weekend, and 2 Alsatians leaped over a wall, growling at us, and followed us for about half a mile. Definitely a scary experience.
  • fitmomhappymom
    fitmomhappymom Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I run with my 80lb yellow lab and while he's never chased some one, he does assume everyone wants to pet him so he has the habit of dragging me to people on the path and sitting down in front of them. It doesnt happen all the time, just when he sees people he thinks are extra special. I'm hoping over time and with me constantly whispering at him angerly "NO GOLIATH!!!" he will stop this.
  • Mahihkan
    Mahihkan Posts: 162
    Options
    Nope. Not even a little. But dogs that chase have a prey instinct. As a conscientious runner I would be stupid to assume the dog does not consider me prey and just wants to "play".

The "hunter" instinct is always in a dog... but not the one you are referring too. The domestic dog is not a true hunter anymore, but only for playing...
    If the dog didnt show any aggressive behavior..., why worry?

I could write a chapter on dog behavior, but bottom line, unless the dog show aggression behavior... no worries.. or change street side lol
  • jmock87
    jmock87 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I run with my dog and he has no interest in anyone else apart from other dogs. Although he did get very confussed while out on the bike the other morning when another one zoomed past when he wasn't looking and he thought it was me that had picked up some manic speed and he did his grumble that he does when I go too fast for him! He pelted back when I whistled him!!

I have been out running before though, thought my heel was sticking a bit to my pavement, turned round and a boxer puppy was trying to chase my feet!
  • FitJulian
    FitJulian Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I run with my dog and he has no interest in anyone else apart from other dogs.:laugh: :laugh: "Although he did get very confussed while out on the bike the other morning" :laugh: :laugh: when another one zoomed past when he wasn't looking and he thought it was me that had picked up some manic speed and he did his grumble that he does when I go too fast for him! He pelted back when I whistled him!!

I have been out running before though, thought my heel was sticking a bit to my pavement, turned round and a boxer puppy was trying to chase my feet!

That is one cool dog if he can ride a bike ........:laugh: :laugh:
  • jmock87
    jmock87 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I run with my dog and he has no interest in anyone else apart from other dogs.:laugh: :laugh: "Although he did get very confussed while out on the bike the other morning" :laugh: :laugh: when another one zoomed past when he wasn't looking and he thought it was me that had picked up some manic speed and he did his grumble that he does when I go too fast for him! He pelted back when I whistled him!!

That is one cool dog if he can ride a bike ........:laugh: :laugh:

He still has stabilizer on his, but he's working up to 2 wheels! :happy:
  • betterrunfaster
    Options

The "hunter" instinct is always in a dog... but not the one you are referring too. The domestic dog is not a true hunter anymore, but only for playing...
    If the dog didnt show any aggressive behavior..., why worry?

I could write a chapter on dog behavior, but bottom line, unless the dog show aggression behavior... no worries.. or change street side lol

Not correct.

Strange dog, trust your gut. Two GSD's (Alsations) jump a fence, for instance, and chase you don't assume play. Thats an obvious one there, but in most cases with 'regular dogs the layman isn't going to understand it's aggressive behavior until it's too late. Some of the things I teach is a dog safety course and it's amazing how much misinformation is still out there. I could face palm all day.

And a strange dog chasing you with a person is NOT normal or ok, wether it's obnoxious playfulness or another intent altogether. Well intentioned stupidity is still stupidity.

As far as being a true hunter, most dogs do not hunt to survive, but many hunt and kill animals. Chase prey. Some dogs become aroused and nip, some herd, some think it's great fun to knock you over. The great majority is play, but it's no fun for the person on the receiving end. In some cases it tips from play with persons (usually kids) and dogs into determined stalking, called prey drift. Again, the exception with most household dogs, but if you are on the receiving end thats no consolation.

It's an innate behavior just as it is in prey drive still is in most cats. Depends greatly on breed and temperament. Never assume a dog you don't know is safe when you are uncomfortable anymore then you'd assume a stranger who gives you the jeebies is safe. Its one of those rare moments in life where the risk isn't worth it. Plus, who wants to deal with that **** when you are out for a run?

In the OP's case, it made her uncomfortable and what the dog was 'really' thinking doesn't matter. It was poor manners on the owners part. Not everyone likes, or is comfortable around dogs and some are flat out terrified of them. As for me, when I'm out on a run I don't want to be engaged on anything other then what I'm doing.

I work with dogs that yes, chasing would have given then great incentive, but their level of arousal would have quickly escalated into real determination. Thats the exception rather then the rule but to make a blanket statement about all dogs and whatnot is irresponsible.

Bottom line is none of us know this dog. But we do know the OP was uncomfortable. Thats valid enough. I won't even go into the owners half dragging the dog. It bothers me when people dismiss others discomfort or alarm out of hand. You weren't there and if more people validated that sense people would stay safer in general. If you feel like there is a dog who might bite and some yahoo keeps insisting it's ok because he's wagging his tail (not always a good sign) go with your gut.

Almost all dogs send a wealth of communication before they bite, if you feel threatened you are probable paying attention. And if you misunderstand your life or the strange dogs life is not diminished if you avoid it. On the other hand if you go into the fray determined that every dog is safe... No one ever died from feeling silly.

And I have written chapters on dog behavior.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options

I didn't realize someone would actually do this until a woman did it today. She wasn't running very fast, kind of pulling the dog, let me pass and then - that's right. The dog sped up to chase me. They stayed right behind me for about a mile and then I was so freaked I turned around and made a wide circle and ran around them the other way. Luckily she continued on the way they were going (again 1/2 dragging dog).

So - And I am more serious than I could ever imagine - thank you so much to all dog owners who don't use me to bait their dogs into running faster. I was so freaked out I ran home, only putting in 4.75 miles instead of the 7 I had planned...

You should have confronted the dog owner. This is messing with your workout and they are being utterly selfish.

Funny how everybody's dog ' only wants to play'…..
  • OllyReeves
    OllyReeves Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Absolutely ridiculous.

The woman was slower than you, YOU passed HER. That's the most passive 'Baiting' I've ever heard of.

If you're that sensitive that you can't run with others, get a treadmill and run at home.
  • OllyReeves
    Options

You should have confronted the dog owner. This is messing with your workout and they are being utterly selfish.

Funny how everybody's dog ' only wants to play'…..

How unbelievably arrogant! No-one has any more right than anyone to be on a pavement, in public. Grow up.
  • betterrunfaster
    Options
    Absolutely ridiculous.

The woman was slower than you, YOU passed HER. That's the most passive 'Baiting' I've ever heard of.

If you're that sensitive that you can't run with others, get a treadmill and run at home.

Yes, I'm sure thats it. Your Santa powers are granting you all seeing, al knowing powers. Let's dismiss anyones concerns out of hand and tell them if they don't like it they can leave. because thats really super productive and totally non douchey.
  • OllyReeves
    Options
    Absolutely ridiculous.

Yes, I'm sure thats it. Your Santa powers are granting you all seeing, al knowing powers. Let's dismiss anyones concerns out of hand and tell them if they don't like it they can leave. because thats really super productive and totally non douchey.

Well this has ruined my day, someone on a internet doesn't like me.

All I am going by is the post that was given. Nothing she has said suggests that she's right.

If you don't like it, tough.
  • novembersuse
    novembersuse Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I get a bit nervous around dogs, and I hate it when I'm running and see dogs ahead who are off the leash and bounding about at everyone who passes. I try to cross the street or take a ridiculous detour. It's always at the back of my mind while I'm out. The morning an enormous doberman lunged at me when I passed it, and the owner could barely hold it back has really stayed with me!
  • ThePlight
    ThePlight Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options
    If I see a big dog without a leash on, I run the other way.. I'm not even kidding.
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Let me get this straight. You were being chased by a dog and he made you run faster? Then, because you were running faster, you decided to stop and go home? Didn't this dog give you a much better workout?
  • mrsamanda86
    mrsamanda86 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I'm not scared of dogs either, and while that might not have scared me, it probably would've at least irritated me quite a bit. I make sure when I run with one of my dogs that we give someone a wide berth and pass them, and if I'm walking I will go into a jog just to pass the person so my dogs don't start thinking it's time for them to get all excited that a person is up ahead. Most of the time my dogs don't really care about other people though while we're on a walk. My beagle/basset who doesn't care for running much will straight ignore people when they try to give her love, it's kinda funny, she's as antisocial as me. We fit well together. Now other animals... that's a different story!
  • betterrunfaster
    Options
    Let me get this straight. You were being chased by a dog and he made you run faster? Then, because you were running faster, you decided to stop and go home? Didn't this dog give you a much better workout?

If I decided to that interject myself in your workout would that be ok, too?
  • OllyReeves
    Options

If I decided to that interject myself in your workout would that be ok, too?

Okay, so just so we are clear. Woman with dog was running. OP was behind her and overtook her, woman with dog continued running.

OPs problem.