Gaining on a deficit

Options
I decided to bulk until I hit 140 lbs. I hit that and started my burn phase on Nov 5. I reduced my calories to between 1200-1400 a day. It is now Nov.26 and I am 146! I know it's not just water weight because my pants aren't fitting now and I can literally see extra fat. If anything I should've lost water weight from reducing carbs. My trainer says its because I wasn't eating back my exercise calories so my body went into defense mode and stored fat. So now I am eating more but everything I've read on here says that "defense mode" is a myth and it's always simple math. So is calories in, calories out, not always the case?

I definitely have not been eating more than I think because I am extremely diligent and count everything, right down to chewing gum.

Thanks

Replies

• jonzo21
    jonzo21 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    If it was calories in, calories out all the time you wouldn't have gained anything on 1200-1400 a day. Its definitely a touchy topic here on MFP, but I'm actually a believer in the so called "defensive mode" because I've experienced it. I've been using a bodymedia fit armband for the past 8 months, and surprisingly, started losing weight when I increased my calorie intake. Before using the armband I was trying to cut down to 1400-1500 a day and I would see no change, and I felt miserable all the time because my metabolism needed the extra energy to continue burning. Yet I lost weight eating 2000 a day, sometimes more, depending on how much my body really burned
  • Shateyn
    Options
    Great! That's exactly the advice my trainer gave me too. I was just interested to see if anyone else had similar experiences.

Thanks, jonzo !
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    there are differences between Adaptive Thermogensis and Stavation mode. Read this: could be what happened

Adaptive Thermogenisis:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1077746-starvation-mode-adaptive-thermogenesis-and-weight-loss
  • WhoHa42
    WhoHa42 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    Didn't read all of the OP, but if you've been cutting for a long period of time, once you increase calories you will continue to lose weight. Lost about 5lbs after I increased my calories after a cut.

Check out this video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWvvs19NgEk
  • LeanneGoingThin
    LeanneGoingThin Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    You can't gain on a deficit. It means you're not in a deficit (or you're not gaining fat).
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    How long were you bulking for in order to reach 140lbs and how much weight did you gain?

Set your food diary to public.
    Do you use a food scale?

You are not in "starvation mode" and additionally, AT is not likely to be a big issue here because you just came off of a gaining phase where you added weight. (EDITED -- not sure where I got that previous number from -- it's early) You shouldn't be under any adaptive stresses from weight loss after coming off of a lengthy period of weight gain.

Your trainer sounds like he doesn't have a clue if he's suggesting that low calorie intakes cause fat gain.
  • daphnec1994
    daphnec1994 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Ive also had a good experience with increasing my calories :)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    how much were you eating on your bulk?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    How long were you bulking for in order to reach 140lbs and how much weight did you gain?

Do you use a food scale?

You are not in "starvation mode" and additionally, AT is not likely to be a big issue here because you just came off of a gaining phase where you added weight. (EDITED -- not sure where I got that previous number from -- it's early) You shouldn't be under any adaptive stresses from weight loss after coming off of a lengthy period of weight gain.

Your trainer sounds like he doesn't have a clue if he's suggesting that low calorie intakes cause fat gain.

agree with this...

no way you are in starvation mode on 1200 to 1400 a day ...
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    If you are gaining weight, then you are not at a deficit.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,978 Member
    Options

Do you use a food scale?

Yup. Any trainer that says your gaining weight because your not eating enough, should have his language center altered, so as to not effect other people around them.:wink:
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I know it's not just water weight because my pants aren't fitting now and I can literally see extra fat.

Water weight can make your pants tight, too. How do you literally see extra fat without a biopsy before and after? Water weight can also be loose and jiggly.
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I agree, after bulking your body is actually primed for weight loss. It has only been three weeks, my guess is you are holding onto some water and you will start droping soon if you are indeed at a deficit. You might try a spike day with calories over your est. maintenance to see if that can get you to flush the excess water if you are that worried about the scale.
  • smc864
    smc864 Posts: 570 Member
    Options

Do you use a food scale?

:heart:

OP, "starvation mode" as most define it is a myth... even if it were real it wouldn't apply to you because you were in a bulking phase. Disregard the notion of starvation mode, weigh your food, and create a deficit. If you are gaining, you aren't in a deficit.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    If you are gaining, you aren't in a deficit.

Unless it's water.
  • Shateyn
    Options
    Ooops sorry, thought my diary was public already. It is now. Yes I use a scale for everything that isn't prepackaged.

So it is always scientifically impossible to gain weight on a deficit? That's what I originally thought but now this is confusing. My scale at home and at the gym both went up the same and said increased body fat (I know those aren't always accurate).

I have been exercising everyday.

My bulk was 2 months and I gained 20 lbs. I was eating 1900-2100 calories a day. Before my bulk I was really skinny-fat, very little muscle mass and I was eating around 1400 calories a day.

Thanks everyone.
  • Shateyn
    Options
    So, water weight it is then. That makes me feel better!
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Water weight will increase bf readings if you are using calipers. Not sure about the other methods of measurement. Currently going through this myself, though mine is hormonally induced.
  • STC1188
    STC1188 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    If you are using a BIA scale to assess BF, don't--they aren't accurate and while some may give water weight measurements, there are so many variables it is not useful except as a general guideline (and that is only so when you have a well-established baseline, which requires months at a constant level).

As others have said, water weight. Take it easy and disregard your trainer.

As for more calories = more fat loss, this is often confused by confounding variables. For instance, when I ate 2200 calories a day, I felt lethargic and non-energetic. I slumped in my chair when sitting, moved slower when walking, walked less, did not twitch, and generally tried to avoid physical exertion. At 2700 calories, I sit up straight, stand and walk more, and I do everything with zest and gusto. The cumulative effect is that one may actual end up with a greater deficit with more calories IF (and only IF) it increases their activity and other weight-changing factors GREATER than the difference in calories consumed. Thus, with deficits, it is not the absolute numbers of calories in, but the difference in calories in versus calories out.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    My trainer says its because I wasn't eating back my exercise calories so my body went into defense mode and stored fat. S

Impossible. The only thing "too few" calories will do is guarantee weight loss.

The answer lies elsewhere.