Your strongest & weakest body part.

Options
Sooo while working out today in a small group training session with two other girls and a PT, us girls were doing pretty well with weighted squats, deadlifts and lunges (hate them!). We moved on to some chest work - supersetting chest flys and push ups and that was when all the good work stopped haha. We were struggling massively with the push ups and my arms were shaking like a leaf :indifferent:

At the end of the session, our PT told us he noticed that girls (not just us 3) have stronger legs & weaker chest muscles. With guys, they have a stronger upper body and maybe a not so strong lower body. Of course, this is a sweeping generalization so don't hate :flowerforyou:

In my case, my PT was right; my legs are pretty strong but my chest & shoulders especially are weak. Push ups, OHPS & delt raises are a killer for me.

What bout you? :flowerforyou:

Replies

• mrsamanda86
    mrsamanda86 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    My strongest are definitely my legs by far. I'm not too shabby with chest and shoulder work(other than push ups) and my triceps are pathetically weak lol
    I have gone from not being able to do more than 1 or 2 pushups EVER to being able to do like 12 real ones(sometimes, some days that's still not happening and I have to switch to knees after like 5).
  • mamma_nee
    mamma_nee Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    - My legs have always been the strongest , Back in high school I would work my legs and I was always able to do more weight then any of the guys so no one ever messed with me !! little did they know that if I tried lifting with my arms , I would not be so powerful LOL .

- arms the weakest
  • Ainar
    Ainar Posts: 858 Member
    Options

At the end of the session, our PT told us he noticed that girls (not just us 3) have stronger legs & weaker chest muscles. With guys, they have a stronger upper body and maybe a not so strong lower body. Of course, this is a sweeping generalization so don't hate :flowerforyou:
    This is actually not a generalization but a fact for people who train mainly for looks. It's genetically proven that females have stronger lower body and guys have stronger upper body, if you compare two. Also, the fact that females train for sexy butt and legs while not focusing so much on upper body to not get bulky and guys focus more on upper body while often ignoring legs doesn't help lol. I notice this every single time too I meet somebody who trains just to look good but not for actual athletic performance.

Anyhow, weakest shoulders and strongest prolly triceps for me. I can squeeze a lot of push ups and dips but I really struggle with shoulder exercises.
  • shutterbug282
    shutterbug282 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    My legs have always been stronger with lots of hiking when I was in school, but since weight training, my arms have got better. :) I wouldn't say they are the weakest anymore, I'd say it's more my shoulders. :)
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Strongest : Definitely Triceps

Weakest : Probably abdominals , I struggle with hanging leg raises etc ...
  • coastie89
    coastie89 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Strongest- quads

weakest- biceps maybe
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    According to my lift numbers, legs are now my strongest. They sure don't look it though.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Weakest is my chest, strongest is my back.
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Strongest-brain

Weakest-brain
  • BabyCerise
    BabyCerise Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    strongest : hamstrings

weakest : shoulders
  • SueSlick
    SueSlick Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    My strongest are definitely my legs by far. I'm not too shabby with chest and shoulder work(other than push ups) and my triceps are pathetically weak lol
    I have gone from not being able to do more than 1 or 2 pushups EVER to being able to do like 12 real ones(sometimes, some days that's still not happening and I have to switch to knees after like 5).

^ this! Totally agree, push-up also my nemesis! I hate them because I can't master them!
  • jamielynas
    jamielynas Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    220lb bench, 220lb squat, my legs suck
  • JONZ64
    JONZ64 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Strongest- Legs

Weakest - Shoulders
  • hannah_ryann
    hannah_ryann Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Strongest: Quads. I can full squat 200 pounds. Hammies come in 2nd.
    Weakest: Pecs. I can only incline bench press 70 pounds. Triceps are very weak as well.
  • sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I can do push-ups, was up to 15 pull-ups (unassisted), but I can rock the rest of my bicep/tri and shoulder workout.
    Legs, yeah strongest but my right knee has taken a hit and now I'm limiting all major leg work (deadlift, squats and leg presses - so anger :{ ) Leg press was up to 330, deadlifts were back to 85 (was at 120).... squats, i may have to give up weighted squats, tears up my shoulder & knee (damn body - WORK!)
  • She_Hulk
    She_Hulk Posts: 277
    Options
    I'm not your typical female, unfortunately. My strongest muscles are in my upper body. My chest and arms are very strong. My legs are, by far, the weakest. Trust me, it stinks! We women are all about the legs. I think strong, muscular legs look fantastic on women, too. I am not happy and I am really trying to work on my legs. For me, my leg muscles are very difficult to build. I guess because they are the largest? Anyhow, sore subject with me. Makes me sad. :frown:
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Strongest - legs.

Weakest - I want to say triceps specifically but really its the entirety of the "push" muscle group (chest, shoulders, triceps). I struggle with keeping good form on exercises that focus on those muscles, even with lighter loads.
  • KeViN_v2pt0
    KeViN_v2pt0 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    From an engineering standpoint how the human body is capable of functioning and lifting which can be calculated by a series of mathematical equations. First and foremost fiber for fiber there is no strength difference between male and female muscle fibers, it just so happens that generally males have more muscle fibers than females.

Also (and this might be a shocker) males and females differ in body shape and size. For example most females have wider hips in order to bear children which in turn aids in the squat exercise. Also females tend to have shoulders that are less narrow than a males which would also aid in upper body strength exercises.

Longer/shorter tendons, Longer/shorter & Thicker/Slimmer bones, long lanky limbs and shallower rib cages. All have an impact when performing various types of lifts/exercises or just athletic move in general.

Heres an interesting link to finding your "Power Zone"- Best height weight ratio to be your strongest. Because getting bigger doesn't necessarily translate into power/strength. http://www.ironmind.com/ironmind/opencms/Lifts/Your_power_zone.html

Anyway..........I personally have narrow hips and my squats suffer because of it. I suck at squats.

Alternatively.....anything Pushing (Chest, Shoulders, Tricep related) is my strongest.
  • bowbeforethoraxis
    bowbeforethoraxis Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    My legs are strongest. My arms are probably the weakest.

It is so weird how with some things, there is a huge difference in strength on the same body part. My upper abs are pretty strong, but my lower ones are much weaker. When working triceps, my left arm is so much stronger, I can do more reps with more weight than my right arm. My right leg is stronger than my left though, anything balance related is way easier on my right leg than left. In general I have pretty awful balance though. That might be enough to discourage me from yoga, except I'm super flexible so half the poses I'm in beginner/modified, and half the poses I'm doing the more advanced version.

One of my goals is to even everything out!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    My legs are strongest. My arms are probably the weakest.

It is so weird how with some things, there is a huge difference in strength on the same body part. My upper abs are pretty strong, but my lower ones are much weaker. When working triceps, my left arm is so much stronger, I can do more reps with more weight than my right arm. My right leg is stronger than my left though, anything balance related is way easier on my right leg than left. In general I have pretty awful balance though. That might be enough to discourage me from yoga, except I'm super flexible so half the poses I'm in beginner/modified, and half the poses I'm doing the more advanced version.

One of my goals is to even everything out!
    I think a lot of this is mental. You mentioned upper and lower abs, there's no such thing, it's all one muscle.