IIFYM help and always going over carbs

Options
okay so my macros are
1433 calories, 122.6 carbs, 124 protein, 49.6 fat, and 31 fiber.
I am 20 years old, 5'3, and around 124 pounds now, and mostly do weight training (nothing extremely heavy)
Does this seem about right???
Also I always seem to be going over my carb intake by 30ish grams. Should I switch up my macros a little more?
I am usually left with like 19 grams fat, 28 grams protein and 1 carb. So then I eat something trying to reach my fat and protein but then it brings me over in my carbs
Anyone have any suggestions? that would be great :))
Thanks!!!

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    okay so my macros are
    1433 calories, 122.6 carbs, 124 protein, 49.6 fat, and 31 fiber.
    I am 20 years old, 5'3, and around 124 pounds now, and mostly do weight training (nothing extremely heavy)
    Does this seem about right???
    Also I always seem to be going over my carb intake by 30ish grams. Should I switch up my macros a little more?
    I am usually left with like 19 grams fat, 28 grams protein and 1 carb. So then I eat something trying to reach my fat and protein but then it brings me over in my carbs
    Anyone have any suggestions? that would be great :))
    Thanks!!!

What are your goals, how long have you been eating at that intake and what has your weight done in the past two weeks at that intake?

Are you using a food scale?
  • a175564
    a175564 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    well im still trying to get to 1433, its been kinda tough for me to get that many cals in. Im so used to eating 1200 or less. My goal is to get back to around 115 lbs and to get tone/lean. I have been gaining weight no matter what I do it seems so I was thinking of giving reverse dieting a try too. And I definitely need to buy a scale.
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    get tone

These words make me die inside
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,025 Member
    Options
    Didn't know IIFYM had guidelines for macro's. Sounds like a money maker though. Anyway, I wouldn't worry if you didn't hit your macro's bang on, that will just drive you crazy and it really doesn't matter at all if your within your calorie goal.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I think you are worrying too much. Like Neanderthin said, you will go crazy trying to get everything perfect to the gram. You had me like, "What?" when you said 1433 calories. I always add "-ish" to the end of everything, as in, I am currently maintaining on 2500-ish calories. You will have days that you go over on something and be under on another. Just do you best to get close.
  • CarlKRobbo
    CarlKRobbo Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Didn't know IIFYM had guidelines for macro's. Sounds like a money maker though. Anyway, I wouldn't worry if you didn't hit your macro's bang on, that will just drive you crazy and it really doesn't matter at all if your within your calorie goal.

Dude, you do know what IIFYM stands for right!?! Of course it still has guidelines for Macro's!! It's "If It Fits Your Macro's!"

OP - If your struggling, Rule number 1 - hit your daily calorie target First. THEN worry about where your macro's come from.

If your struggling to hit fat\protein, try some eggs\nuts\oils
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Total calories > Macros

OP Stick to what you are doing , make sure you hit your Protein and fats as they are essential and should be a priority .
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I'm over on carbs most of the time too, but calories matter more. I would still try to reach 110g of protein at least every day though.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    If you're always going over on carbs, what you're eating doesn't fit your macros..
  • neanderthin
    Options

Dude, you do know what IIFYM stands for right!?! Of course it still has guidelines for Macro's!! It's "If It Fits Your Macro's!"

OP - If your struggling, Rule number 1 - hit your daily calorie target First. THEN worry about where your macro's come from.

Ok, then, what is the right combination for macro's for IIFYM?
  • CarlKRobbo
    CarlKRobbo Posts: 390 Member
    Options

Do I really need to highlight the word "YOUR"?

Or explain that no formula exists that works for everyone?

It's the same as any other diet - Sex\Age\Weight\Goals\Training\Activity all play a part.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    Okay, this is turning into a quagmire of Wtf?

I thought, you hit your macros and reach your calorie goal. If you meet them, exceeding them isnt detrimental, as long as youve met them. Otherwise, you could be several hundred calories short because you've met your macros. Calories are important, too. Or am I crazy?

okay to clarify. .. weight gain is calories. You do not exceed calories but going over macros is okay.
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options

This link is a general outline for setting up your macros but it is dependent on personal goals as well...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
  • jpolinisse
    jpolinisse Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    The advice in here seems contradictory, "calories are more important, but make sure you hit your macros."

I don't know.
  • Ophidion
    Options
    Okay, this is turning into a quagmire of Wtf?

I thought, you hit your macros and reach your calorie goal. If you meet them, exceeding them isnt detrimental, as long as youve met them. Otherwise, you could be several hundred calories short because you've met your macros. Calories are important, too. Or am I crazy?
    No you are not crazy but remember macros have calorie values
    Fats-9 cals
    protien-4 cal
    carbs-4 cals

Now say if somebody is using accurate measurements and data for their intake and they hit fat 0, protein 0, carbs 0 then calories left should be close to zero.

But the database is often incorrect with its nutritional values for food and MFP likes to round up/down numbers,

Hope that makes sense.
  • Ophidion
    Options
    The advice in here seems contradictory, "calories are more important, but make sure you hit your macros."

I don't know.
    No, read these links and it will make sense I am sure...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/817188-iifym

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

An example of applying IIFYM

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/925464-fitting-it-in-giggity
  • neanderthin
    Options

I don't know.

Thanks, I understand what IIFYM means. It can be any combination of macro's a person chooses, so when the OP asked if their macro's where ok according to IIFYM, that is when I made a comment.....people seem to get confused that it's some kind of diet as apposed to a philosophy.
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    If you are trying to lean out you must eat at a deficit (or you will gain/maintain) If you are trying to add lean mass you must eat in a surpus

Most people start with fat loss (aka a cut cycle) It's length is entirely up to you. Eating at a deficit will limit the amount of lean mass gain

this is why people "bulk"

you must determine your TDEE and reduce it to create a defecit. How you set your macros depends entirely on your goals (aka activity level)

Also every 5-10 pounds you should adjust your tdee IFFYM calculator has many options. I started with the basic IIFYM option and realized I was gaining with so many carbs I ten have tried the low carb and am slowly losing (I am looking to reduce BF at this point) You must listen to your body (aka log observe and learn)

This is a process !

WHat are your goals...seems you are saying fat loss?
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options

I don't know.

Thanks, I understand what IIFYM means. It can be any combination of macro's a person chooses, so when the OP asked if their macro's where ok according to IIFYM, that is when I made a comment.....people seem to get confused that it's some kind of diet as apposed to a philosophy.

this !!!!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Options
    The IIFYM website is a great calculator and all, but has nothing to do with the original premise. Your "right" macros are going to be variable from person to person and frankly, if you're like me, season to season depending on fitness aspirations and training. Personally, I think it's a bit ridiculous that the IIFYM website defaults to 1 gram of protein per Lb of body weight...that really isn't necessary, particularly if someone is obese...a 300 Lb fat guy doesn't need 300 grams of protein per day.

On average I try to get 0.8 - 1 gram of protein per Lb of LBM...I tend to be on the higher end on lifting days and the lower end on riding days as I require more carbs for my endurance rides. Similarly I get in anywhere from 0.3 - 0.4 grams of fat per Lb of BW. Basically if I'm anywhere in those ranges I'm good and happy...

Do not let a random calculator/website dictate to you what your macros should be....there are some good guidelines, but that's what they are...guidelines...your personal macros are going to be whatever allows for YOUR optimal fitness performance.

I believe this is kind of the point of what neanderthin was saying.