green tea

Options
I am wondering if green tea really does aid weight loss or not???
I have read a few times it helps but does anyone know if its true or is it just because your not having milk and sugar in your tea and you are saving cals that way :-S

Replies

• YouHadMyCuriosity
    YouHadMyCuriosity Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't count on it to raise your metabolism too much, if those are the studies you are referring to. At most, the numbers are about 4%.... and that is a very small amount.

For me, however, it is a HUGE aid in my weightloss since I really, really dislike drinking straight water. I make a big pot of flavored green tea (my new favorite is Stash Mojito Mint), let it cool, and drink it throughout the day instead of soda, which I used to guzzle like it was going out of style. If it has any effect beyond keeping me away from soda, ehhhhh? I can't say that I tell either way.
  • shafa4321
    shafa4321 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    is not just study It has been used hundreds years in China . It will help you in different ways
  • arcana7609
    arcana7609 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Same here. I gave up drinking soda on the regular and have turned to green tea. I don't know if it's supposed to help with weight loss, but it's supposed to be good for you. I get the Uncle Lee's organic green tea. Tonight I didn't feel like taking my water to work...and last week I did that and got a soda...so tonight I opted for green tea instead as a happy compromise so I wouldn't drink a soda.
  • maasha81
    maasha81 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't count on it to raise your metabolism too much, if those are the studies you are referring to. At most, the numbers are about 4%.... and that is a very small amount.

For me, however, it is a HUGE aid in my weightloss since I really, really dislike drinking straight water. I make a big pot of flavored green tea (my new favorite is Stash Mojito Mint), let it cool, and drink it throughout the day instead of soda, which I used to guzzle like it was going out of style. If it has any effect beyond keeping me away from soda, ehhhhh? I can't say that I tell either way.

What a great idea ... never thought about drinking it cold. Just this morning I posted about needing to hydrate more ... green tea might add that extra flavor I need to my water. Thanks
  • chezzabelle82
    chezzabelle82 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Never thought of drinking it cold thats a fab idea i normally get a organic lemon flavoured one but drink it hot i might try drinking it cold later, i have a blueberry one in my cupboard i hated when i drank it hot but it might taste better cold will give it a try :-D
  • YouHadMyCuriosity
    YouHadMyCuriosity Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I know that it has a plethora of health benefits, I just wouldn't want someone to think it's a huge metabolism booster that can outweigh other factors. Assuming a TDEE of 2000, a 4% increase in metabolism would still only mean 80 calories.

OP, I almost exclusively drink it cold! I live in Hawaii, so hot beverages are usually off the table, it's too darn hot! I have found that I really don't enjoy the taste of plain green tea cold, which is why I usually get the flavored ones. I just heat up a whole kettle of water, throw 4-5 tea bags in, let it sit a while, and pop it into a pitcher and refridgerate. You can also squeeze some lemon in there, or I have sometimes done a berry flavored green tea and thrown some frozen raspberries in the pitcher to add flavor.
  • arcana7609
    arcana7609 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I only drink it cold. I brew a pitcher and stick it in the fridge. Sometimes I don't add sugar and sometimes I do. Sometime I add honey when it's brewing and then when it cools the honey doesn't clump.
  • DavidTacoma
    Options
    Its a nice discussion guys. Green tea is good to lose weight an improve health. Drink at least 1 cup of green tea in a day. It burns fat, make strong bones, improve heart functions, mental health, control blood pressure, reduce depression and keeps you active.
  • Unaisha8
    Unaisha8 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Green tea helps me a lot specially for my skin and weight loss. I feel relaxed when I have a cup every morning and evening. So I'll definitely recommend it :)