feeling guilty about gaining weight back depressed

Hi everyone

im feeling real sad and down about undoing all my good work i was down to 327 2 months ago and gained my weight back to 350 due to medication that i have stopped taking the wind is completely out of my sails i feel like crying about it i just dont know how to jump back on the wagon i did manage 50 minutes of cardio today walking to be exact on the treadmill at 3,3 with a 2.0 incline i have my tdee at 2129 food just scares me today i dont want to eat at all im going to lift weights later i have a 300lb olympic set dumbells power rack and curl bar how should i manage lifting weights and cardio what type of weight loss lifting can i do with my equipment how many reps what lifts should i do?

any guidance and encourgment will help the totally defeated!

Replies

• MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Tough love - read or ignore, up to you

Here's the deal. Sure it sucks that you regained some weight but if it was truly due to the meds you were on, how does that cause guilt? I've got a feeling that you know you also messed up and maybe used the meds partially as an excuse. Either way, big whoop, you screwed up like the rest of the human race. The thing to concentrate your time and energy on now is moving forward and getting on track, not something that happened in the past that you have no control over.

Why does food scare you? It's not the enemy, it has vital nutrients that we need for health and energy. And you will definitely need it to support the activity you plan to do. You already figured out your basic calorie goal. If you make sure you don't go over that, you will lose weight. No need to be frightened.

I'll let someone else handle the exercise specifics but ultimately it doesn't matter what exactly you do for activity. You will lose weight as long as you eat less than your TDEE. Exercise for fitness and health, eat right to lose weight.

Best of luck!
  • just to clarify, are you saying you went off your medication...and your depression came back; thus, you have eaten your way back to your starting weight?

or are you saying you were on a medication that you believe made you gain weight?
  • Jkn922
    Jkn922 Posts: 74
    That feeling is not nice but once you do start to slowly get back into it, you'll be fine. It's either that or keep feeling bad/worrying and waste more time when you can start. I spent a good 2 weeks being miserable about my weight causing me to comfort eat then when I started to exercise I really got into it and gradually things came along. I did mess up a bit, but the important thing is to start.

You've done it before, nothing is stopping you doing it again :)
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    It sucks gaining that weight back, and if your medication is causing it but you might want to talk to your Dr before stopping it. At your weight all you have to do is make small changes and you will drop that weight again..

Change some of the foods your eating
    Get a digital scale and use it
    Exercise/Move everyday
    No Cheat Days
    Don't eat exercise calories

You want to change, you gotta get in the mindset and don't set huge goals
  • no the seroquel (google it) causes massive weight gain this is my first day not taking it and i have not eaten much thats how powerful it is at least for me
  • lindsayvernon
    lindsayvernon Posts: 56 Member
    those are bipolar meds, you might want to talk to your doctor before you decide to stop taking them.
  • I know i have to be a big boy and suck it up its just the ocd anxeity and other psych issues that play a part but im feeling upright today what are some ways i can maximize my weight loss each week do i need a hr monitor?
  • im not bi polar i have ocd intrusive thoughts with paranoia somedays!
  • lindsayvernon
    lindsayvernon Posts: 56 Member
    there is not way to "maximise" your weight loss, but there are steps to help get you going in the right direction. If you have a significant amout of weight to lose it'll come off quicker to start but slow down as you get closer to your goal weight. Don't set unrealistic goals, focus on your health more than the numbers on the scale.

Some suggestions would be to eat whole foods, try and stay away from pre-packaged foods if you can (the odd time isn't going to hurt but try to limit them). Drink plenty of water, make sure you get your sleep, and get out and get moving.

I would take it one thing at a time. Focus on your diet or exercise first, get in a routine with that then start adding in the other stuff one at a time. If you take on too much at once it's harder to keep the change. You need to create healthy habits.

Hope this helps, and good luck!
  • probably not good to go cold turkey on any psych med. your lack of hunger may be a withdrawal side effect. Maybe talk to your doctor about another medication. prozac is an OCD med, and I believe some people take it for weight loss. (don't quote me...I am not a medical professional.)
  • hwoeltjen
    hwoeltjen Posts: 199 Member
    My best advice....forget about it.

Don't worry about how much weight you gained back. Every second you spend dwelling on what is....you waste the opportunity to focus on what will be.

Keep your focus toward the front...don't look in the rear view so much...your liable to trip over something.

You'll lose it again...it's guaranteed. Keep pushing forward and realize that you've been through this already...you can definitely do it again.

The worst thing you can do at this point is to lose your motivation because of a setback. We all go through set backs.

It isn't the situation you are in that defines you....but what you do with it.
  • Poofy_Goodness
    Poofy_Goodness Posts: 229 Member
    what are some ways i can maximize my weight loss each week do i need a hr monitor?

There is only one way: Consistency.

You don't need any extra tools. You have all you need: MFP, weights, and somewhere to walk or run.

You know your TDEE. Subtract 30% and make that your calorie goal.

Work out 5 days a week. 3 days of strength training, 2 days of cardio.

As for a strength program, DO RESEARCH. Some great beginner programs include: Starting Strength, Strong Lifts, and The New Rules of Weight Lifting. The first and last are books I strongly recommend you read. Research is imperative.

I echo other's concerned about stopping your medication. That is not a decision that should be made without your doctor, especially if you're already experiencing anxiety and OCD symptoms.

Don't give up: remember consistency is the only thing you need.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    P.S. Wow, I totally missed the psych angle on this post - good catch for those of you that got it. I probably would have gone a bit easier if I knew that up front. My advice still stands for the most part but OP, I hope your going off the meds was approved by your doc. Gotta take care of your mind as well as your body!