Why do people look to others for motivation?

Options
I find myself drawn to the Motivation and Support section of the MFP forums. I see so many posts that essentially boil down to:

"I need friends to motivate me to reach my goals."

I don't understand.

mo·ti·va·tion
noun \ˌmō-tə-ˈvā-shən\

: the act or process of giving someone a reason for doing something : the act or process of motivating someone
: the condition of being eager to act or work : the condition of being motivated
: a force or influence that causes someone to do something

How can other people provide this for you?

Your reasons for losing weight or getting in shape are your own.
Your reasons for not meeting your goals are your own.
You are the only person who can control what you eat.
You are the only one who can control how much energy you exert.

I understand how people can inspire each other. I understand how people can educate each other. I understand how other people can provide a new perspective to each other. These fall under the umbrella of support, and I understand how people can support each other in their fitness goals.

I do not understand how someone can motivate someone else, with the exception of competition-- but I doubt that's what anyone means when they ask for motivation.

Can anyone help me understand?

Replies

• ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    There are two types of motivation, extrinsic and intrinsic. Extrinsic motivation comes from outside rewards, like competing for a prize. Intrinsic motivation comes from inside, like doing something simply because you enjoy it. For a lot of people, weight loss and fitness are framed--at least in the beginning--in terms of extrinsic rewards: looking more attractive, fitting in with others, feeling comfortable in public. More often though, people are using the word "motivation" interchangeably with "accountability." They don't think they can make themselves stick to it, so they want other people to keep them in line, and that's been shown to be a pretty effective strategy.

Hope that helped.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    Societal acceptance
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    Validation, perhaps. The need to know they are not alone in their struggle.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    We are social creatures who, for the most part, function better in groups than as individuals.
  • LokiOfAsgard
    LokiOfAsgard Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Motivation from friends can be very important. Something like this, it's hard to do and it's a great push to have someone else say "WOW Keep up the good work!"
    Yeah, you can motivate yourself, but what happens on a bad day. One of those days where you just can't care enough to tell yourself you did good. Hearing it from someone else is a great self esteem booster, and can turn a bad day into a good one.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    Most of the time you're also the only person that gives a crap in real life, so if you can connect with some people who have similar interests and spare your FB friends from and eyeroll or two then what's the harm? lol
  • Poofy_Goodness
    Poofy_Goodness Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    More often though, people are using the word "motivation" interchangeably with "accountability." They don't think they can make themselves stick to it, so they want other people to keep them in line, and that's been shown to be a pretty effective strategy.

Hope that helped.

I think we have a winner. I thought it might just be an issue of semantics.
  • egrusy
    egrusy Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Just as with any support group, I think it helps people to surround themselves with like folks that understand their struggles with weight. The "you can do this" from folks that are on the same journey can help inspire :smile:
  • spirytwynd
    spirytwynd Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Some people are motivated from inside. Others need external motivation to help them along. Whichever helps you reach your goals. To each their own.
  • dreamer12151
    dreamer12151 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I can answer your question directly, but I can speak for myself and how this section has helped me.

I, too, have found myself drawn to this section, and I have read posts and replies. I may not have answered back (lurking, I think is what it is called?) but I have found help in here. Yes, my journey is mine and mine alone. I have not asked anyone to take it with me. I alone am responsible to allowing myself to get to where I was, so I alone am responsible to getting myself to where I want to be.

However, there are times when we need help. Advice or some "mental boosts" from others. Even an "atta girl/boy" helps. There have been times I've been out running & tempted to cut it short because I just plain don't wanna do it, then a post from here will pop in my mind & it gives me a mental "push" to keep going.

Just today I came here looking for something because I've had 2 not-so-good days in a row (honestly, for the 1st time since I began this journey this time in July, so I shouldn't really be too upset) but I know myself, and I need to stop this NOW, before the .5 lb gain I had on Monday doesn't become the norm!)

Call it "motivation" or "inspiration"...or a little help. Everybody needs some from time to time.
  • Poofy_Goodness
    Options
    Motivation from friends can be very important. Something like this, it's hard to do and it's a great push to have someone else say "WOW Keep up the good work!"

That's encouragement, not motivation.

I realize I am being a stickler for words here, like I said it's an issue of semantics.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

I realize I am being a stickler for words here, like I said it's an issue of semantics.

The encouragement from others can provide motivation.
  • Poofy_Goodness
    Options
    Most of the time you're also the only person that gives a crap in real life, so if you can connect with some people who have similar interests and spare your FB friends from and eyeroll or two then what's the harm? lol

I'm in no way saying that a community of like-minded individuals does not aid in achieving a common goal, or that it's harmful.

I'm just trying to understand what people are asking for when they ask for others to motivate them.
  • Poofy_Goodness
    Options

The encouragement from others can provide motivation.

Interesting. Never considered that aspect. Thanks.
  • Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Support... I believe it's really more about finding supportive friends.
    People who can relate, advise, and cheer you on. Having a good supportive group can help you find your own motivation that's hiding inside you. I find I'm really inspired by other's progress, this also helps drive my own motivation.

We have to make our own motivation happen no one will do that for us, but a good supportive group really helps.

21525558.png
  • Toblave
    Toblave Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I think a better question is why not? Sure you can do it on your own and draw motivation and support from within but if it's available why not take advantage of the additional motivation to be had from others?
  • Poofy_Goodness
    Options
    To use a personal example:

There are times when I feel lethargic and lazy. I'm ready to skip a work out. If I really can't force myself to get out the door, or maybe I'm feeling anxious, there is a friend I will usually text. It goes something like this:

Me: I'm being a lazy fat ***

Friend: Okay, just stay fat then.

Me: I don't want to be fat.

Friend: Then get your fat *** to the gym and stop complaining. (usually a lot more curse words involved)

Me: Fine. I hate you. I'm going.

I'd call this support, and encouragement albeit my strange brand of it.

Is this what people call motivation?
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Because not everyone is the same. What motivates you isn't what motivates others. It's as simple as that. Different strokes for different folks...
  • egrusy
    egrusy Posts: 196 Member
    Options

There are times when I feel lethargic and lazy. I'm ready to skip a work out. If I really can't force myself to get out the door, or maybe I'm feeling anxious, there is a friend I will usually text. It goes something like this:

Friend: Then get your fat *** to the gym and stop complaining. (usually a lot more curse words involved)

It certainly sounds to me like this motivated you to get your fat *** to the gym :bigsmile:

*edit for typo
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options

Hmmm..is that how you and this friend normally talk to each other? I ithink your friend is tired of hearing you put yourself down so they call you on your defeatist talk. I suppose that could be encouraging to some people. It got you to go to the gym, right?
    That brand of motivation doesn't work for me personally though...