Lifting Questions...

Hi there, so, lately I've been reading more about lifting and different routines and such and obviously it all pertains to what your goals are and what not, for me, I want to gain muscle and shed fat....what sort of lifting routine should I get myself into? I see women all over social networking sites who lift but don't do ANY cardio and have lost a ton of weight but has also gained muscle, and I've seen women lifting and cardio...what do you do?

Also, I've been using the smith machine for my squats and dumbbells for my bench press because the barbell (no weights just the bar) wobbles so much...is it because I'm weak or because??? I simply don't understand...even when I got to use squats and I take the bar down it starts to wobble...I definitely need some help with how to use it properly so it doesn't shake all over the place...I'd appreciate any feedback thanks!

Replies

• MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Hi there, so, lately I've been reading more about lifting and different routines and such and obviously it all pertains to what your goals are and what not, for me, I want to gain muscle and shed fat....what sort of lifting routine should I get myself into? I see women all over social networking sites who lift but don't do ANY cardio and have lost a ton of weight but has also gained muscle, and I've seen women lifting and cardio...what do you do?

I do very little cardio myself.....
    So if you don't wish to do cardio, then just stick with lifting.
    If you want to do both, then do both.
    You will develop muscle, but you will not look like the Hulk.
    I realize I am a male, but I have been lifting for almost 19 yrs now....and I am no where near Hulk status. :(
    Also, I've been using the smith machine for my squats and dumbbells for my bench press because the barbell (no weights just the bar) wobbles so much...is it because I'm weak or because??? I simply don't understand...even when I got to use squats and I take the bar down it starts to wobble...I definitely need some help with how to use it properly so it doesn't shake all over the place...I'd appreciate any feedback thanks!

I would encourage squat rack.
    As far as bench press goes....try putting 5 or 10 pound plates on it....see how you do (have a spotter to assist).....I know if I am to light on bench press, I wobble and feel uncertain since it is so light.

Google Strong Lifts and Starting Strength. They would be a good starting point for you with weights.

Also go on youtube and look for videos on how to do the movements properly. :wink:
    We don't want you getting hurt.
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    I don't do cardio. It's a personal choice really

IMO don't use a smith machine hun, squat in the rack. Yes your body will have to support the bar and no it won`t be stable and you will have to stabilise it with your body but that is the point.

Have you checked form videos on youtube? The bar shouldn't wobble all that much really maybe it's a form issue.

Check Stronglifts or Starting Strength videos on youtube, it shows good form.
    Practice home in front of a miror with a broom until you get the form right

EDIT, also adding, you build muscles eating at a surplus. If you are at a deficit you will preserve muscle mass by lifting but you won't gain. Mind you once the fat shreds it will most likely show some nice little muscles that might be covered at the moment :wink:
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    I see women all over social networking sites who lift but don't do ANY cardio and have lost a ton of weight but has also gained muscle, and I've seen women lifting and cardio...what do you do?

I do mostly lifting with 1 cardio session a week; 2 if my schedule permits it. IMO everyone should do a little cardio, for cardiorespiratory health if nothing else.

First the Smith Machine is GARBAGE. Dumbbells for Bench Press are fine to start. Do you have the resources to hire a trainer? Might consider that or do your homework on the internet (You Tube, etc.) to learn the proper form on lifts.
  • kinmad4it
    kinmad4it Posts: 185 Member
    Nothing wrong with using dumbbells for bench press. You're lifting the same weight with each arm and not having your stronger arm do more of the work like you can sometimes get when using a barbell. Plus you get much better range of motion with no restriction as you do from a barbell. The main advantage of a barbell is the ability to lift heavier weights, so if your goal isn't lifting the maximum possible then there's no real need to ditch the dumbbells.
  • IMO don't use a smith machine hun, squat in the rack. Yes your body will have to support the bar and no it won`t be stable and you will have to stabilise it with your body but that is the point.

^^ Yes! Smith Machine will allow you to get used to bad form and neglect the muscles you need to stabilize yourself. You can tell ClassickQC is a reliable source for good squatting advice cause the evidence is in her profile pic :wink: :love:
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Saucy_lil_Minx Posts: 3,302 Member
    I lift 3x a week, and shoot for 2x cardio, but honestly there are weeks with my kids that I get one good solid cardio in. I work really hard to not miss my lifting schedule so I can keep up with my recovery routine too.

I also use the Smith machine for my squats:

1) I don't have a spotter

2) My gym does not have a squat rack

I don't experience any wobbling with it. Check your form first and foremost. Watch a few proper form videos on You Tube. I just put in How do I do a proper squat with the Smith Machine. Then practice with just body weight until you are comfortable with your form. then add the bar. If your wobbly with the bar at that point, practice until your not. Then start adding weights slowly from there.

.... I am editing b/c I did notice a comment about not developing proper stabilizing muscles using the Smith Machine. This is a concern of mine as well, but since I do not have a lifting partner I have no choice but to use it. I strictly use the Smith Machine for my squats, and pay very close attention to my form. So my hope is that I am still developing my stabilizing muscles properly. Where I encounter problems while lifting is my grip strength. I know I could lift heavier, but my hands want to give out first. I have notices the deeper I get into my schedule the less this seems to be a problem.

If I do have a grip issues, lets say on my Step-ups, or Lunges, I will do one leg rest half the time of a normal rest period, then pick the dumbbells back up, and finish the other side. Then take a normal rest period.

I always start with my weaker side too, and then if I can only push out 5 of a lunge with a heavier weight, I will match my stronger side with the same # of reps, until my weaker side can complete the attempted # of reps total.
  • your heart is a muscle and needs the exercise too. Weight lifting raises your heart rate but not for an extended time like cardio. I would stay away from the smith machine as stated earlier because it doesn't allow your body to move in a natural motion/path when squating/benching. You'll probably hurt yourself over time.
    I do a couple of 10 to 15 rep squats, bench, or whatever I'm working on, then do a final 20 rep set. When i get tired of the routine then I do 5 rep sets and build up muscle to left heavier. I'm more into strenght training rather body building.
    Research and learn how to lift properly so you don't hurt yourself. some injuries take time to show up, ie sore knees from squating too low (some people can and some can't ... genetics).
    The power rack is one of the best equipment in the gym. You can squat and bench without a spotter.
  • [/quote]

I would encourage squat rack.
    As far as bench press goes....try putting 5 or 10 pound plates on it....see how you do (have a spotter to assist).....I know if I am to light on bench press, I wobble and feel uncertain since it is so light.

Google Strong Lifts and Starting Strength. They would be a good starting point for you with weights.

Also go on youtube and look for videos on how to do the movements properly. :wink:
    We don't want you getting hurt.
    [/quote]

Thank you!! I don't want to get hurt either...and I'm not new to the gym whatsoever but I want to lift more than I have been!
  • I don't do cardio. It's a personal choice really

IMO don't use a smith machine hun, squat in the rack. Yes your body will have to support the bar and no it won`t be stable and you will have to stabilise it with your body but that is the point.

Have you checked form videos on youtube? The bar shouldn't wobble all that much really maybe it's a form issue.

Check Stronglifts or Starting Strength videos on youtube, it shows good form.
    Practice home in front of a miror with a broom until you get the form right

EDIT, also adding, you build muscles eating at a surplus. If you are at a deficit you will preserve muscle mass by lifting but you won't gain. Mind you once the fat shreds it will most likely show some nice little muscles that might be covered at the moment :wink:

Should I eat (cut) lean not bulk right?
  • [/quote]

First the Smith Machine is GARBAGE. Dumbbells for Bench Press are fine to start. Do you have the resources to hire a trainer? Might consider that or do your homework on the internet (You Tube, etc.) to learn the proper form on lifts.
    [/quote]

I do not have the resources for a trainer and I have been doing my homework extensively...just making sure that's all.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    You can get answers to literally all of this, by picking up a copy of New Rules of Lifting for Women. It's a great book to get women started with lifting and exercise, also easy and accessible. And it only espouses the fundamentals/basics, nothing magical in there just great information and myth busting. I highly recommend it (I even bought and read it for myself, just to see if I should recommend it).
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    I do not have the resources for a trainer and I have been doing my homework extensively...just making sure that's all.

You're doing fine. :) There's nothing wrong with using dumbbells for lifts. Everyone preaches on here using Barbells, which are optimal for a lot of lifts, but the important thing is you ARE lifting, and trying to better yourself. Back when I started lifting, all I had was adjustable dumbbells and a bench - and I worked hard at it and actually built a nice strength base/look by just using dumbbells and progressing with the weight.

The important thing is to make sure your form is good. You can hurt yourself just as easily with dumbbells as you can with barbells. This is where resources like You Tube come in handy.